Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th December 2022, 01:21 AM   #1
Will M

Default 19th Alberta Dragoons 1908p sword

A nicely marked Canadian 1908p sword to the 19th Alberta Dragoons. They performed the last Canadian cavalry charge in history at the Battle of Iwuy on 10 October 1918.
Attached Images

Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2022, 04:23 PM   #2
kronckew

Interesting. Nice sword.

Battle of iwuy 10OCT1918

A bit like the Charge of the Light brigade, Gallant, Courageous, and ultimately futile.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2022, 05:32 PM   #3
Will M

Do we celebrate our losses as much as our victories?
Interestingly the inner guard where regimental marks are usually placed shows just a couple pin points and the outside there is a ghost of letters and or numbers. An armourer has professionally removed the previous regimental markings likely before being issued to Canadian troops in the UK.
Canada arrived with the 1890p and 1882p swords and exchanging them for the then new 1908p cavalry sword.
Attached Images

Old 18th December 2022, 05:59 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
Interesting. Nice sword.

Battle of iwuy 10OCT1918

A bit like the Charge of the Light brigade, Gallant, Courageous, and ultimately futile.
Gentlemen, remember that the scope of our forum does not reach World Wars period .

Last edited by fernando; 18th December 2022 at 06:28 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2022, 06:22 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Gentlemen, remember that the scope of our forum does not reach World Wars period .

It is truly unfortunate that the history of the sword is not seen as transcending the calendar. While the sword as a weapon had of course become 'obsolete' by the mid 19th century, they were still actively used, as seen here, well into the 20th century. I cannot even name the numerous cultures and contexts in which this is the case.
There was no terminus post quem for the weapon form itself, even various types continued production and use in their 19th century (and sometimes earlier) form well into the 20th.

This sword posted, the British 1908 cavalry, saw good use in battle, as shown here with this brilliant gallantry of this Canadian regiment. In Mesopotamia, the British used the M1908 as well during WWI, and the commanding officer, General Allenby was cited as saying to his cavalry,
"..men, you may well go into battle without your trousers...but you WILL NOT go without your sword!!!"
The sword became colloquially known then as the "Allenby sword".

The American counterpart was the M1913 Patton, also with large bowl guard. These had the same superiority as ironically, the ultimate cavalry sword, which was reached just as the use of the sword officially ended.
Gen. George Patton literally had tears in his eyes as he collected these from his men as his beloved horse cavalry became armored vehicles.

So I wanted to end the discussion having noted the history angle, which is important as to me, the weapons are icons of history, which seems to exceed chronological definition....such as medieval, renaissance etc. Naturally, the set parameters of this forum must be observed so I close accordingly.

*finis*
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2022, 07:00 PM   #6
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
It is truly unfortunate that the history of the sword is not seen as transcending the calendar. While the sword as a weapon had of course become 'obsolete' by the mid 19th century, they were still actively used, as seen here, well into the 20th century. I cannot even name the numerous cultures and contexts in which this is the case.
You are right, Jim; in action until just "the other day". We just don't get there .
Old 19th December 2022, 12:29 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In accord with avoiding furthering this discussion here, I am posting the US M1913 cavalry sword I wanted to post as a comparison, to the MISC forum.
Old 19th December 2022, 02:20 PM   #8
David R

Quote:

Does this need rethinking, and perhaps making the cutoff one hundred years ago, 1922 or perhaps more logically 1914 as that's when the old world went up in flames.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2022, 05:36 PM   #9
fernando

Options David !
We have chosen to focus more on arms antiquity rather than on modern wars.
Old 19th December 2022, 06:15 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Noted. The primary concern when this forum was initiated in 2008 was that opening the discussion criteria to European arms of all times and to include firearms, ordnance, polearms, etc. might open the doors to more modern 'militaria'.
The idea of bayonets and misc , weapons of the modern wars in WWI & WWII which might even lead into nazi items etc. was concerning as detracting from the antiquarian discussions.

As has been described, these concerns are often confining as many weapons of earlier periods up to 1898 ended up being used, and in many cases still being produced after 1900, even into 20s and 30s.
In studying the history of many of these kinds of weapons forms, their scope of historical data often transcends the fixed terminus post quem of 1900.
The problem here of course becomes that the 'complete' history of the weapon form and its use comes to an abrupt and incomplete halt.

There is no 'volume II' to continue study of the form, nor proper venue for same, and any extenuation of such circumstances is held to endanger forum integrity by opening doors for more such situations.

This is truly a dilemma, and I decided to continue the discussion on M1913 Patton sword in the misc. forum, where the latitude is non confining as this is indeed a misc. category (non applicable in the other forums).

While this is more of a stopgap solution, I hope members who have ideas for solution might present them but privately to moderators, with whom the resolution is in their charge. I would hope to see this dilemma resolved constructively, and trust we will all follow that.
Old 19th December 2022, 08:08 PM   #11
fernando

Jim, i was actually addressing David; but i can not say i appreciate the way you interpreted the scope of the forum, moulding the text in order to defend your personal point of view. We have been through this issue a zillion times by direct email. The Euro forum is not only about swords; the 19th century cutt off is more than reasonable when it concerns firearms, as far as antique arms are concerned.
Forgiving me for finding that, the way you have finalized your post, advicing members to contact moderators, you sound like you are trying to stir the pot.

All the best.
Fernando.
Old 19th December 2022, 08:49 PM   #12
Will M

Seems I began this, it's been years since I've read the posting regulations and this time I'm off by eight years. What you think you know and actually know can be two different animals!
Old 19th December 2022, 10:06 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Jim, i was actually addressing David; but i can not say i appreciate the way you interpreted the scope of the forum, moulding the text in order to defend your personal point of view. We have been through this issue a zillion times by direct email. The Euro forum is not only about swords; the 19th century cutt off is more than reasonable when it concerns firearms, as far as antique arms are concerned.
Forgiving me for finding that, the way you have finalized your post, advicing members to contact moderators, you sound like you are trying to stir the pot.

All the best.
Fernando.
Unfortunately Fernando, I thought I was wording this in SUPPORT of YOUR position in understanding that there must be reasonable parameters in regulating the topic content. My suggestion to use private contact to discuss suggestions was to avoid a public .......match on this thread. That is why I mentioned hoping for constructive suggestions to find possible solutions for exceptions if such were possible.
The cutoff is I suppose necessary of course, but you can see my concerns on some topics. So now I understand the swords stipulation is in accord with firearms topic restrictions although the concerns are different but must be managed together.

My intention was support, and I had intended to contact you privately, but respond here in kind.

I withdraw my suggestion for members to place suggestions in any form, and recognize the case is closed. I did not realize this was pot stirring and there is no reason to discuss further.
Old 20th December 2022, 09:56 AM   #14
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M View Post
Seems I began this, it's been years since I've read the posting regulations and this time I'm off by eight years. What you think you know and actually know can be two different animals!
Will, the question is not the eight years but the expanding to a different (20th century) wide universe; world wars, modernity, militaria, etc. Naturally exceptions may be understood, specially when they are dealt in context.