Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default An Interesting Crossbow Accident, 1517

Note the broken right composite horn bow arm and cord whirled up high in the air shortly before probably hitting the crossbow man's companion!

From the Emperor Maximilian I's Theuerdank, 1517.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Michael for posting this fascinating perspective on the dynamics and inherent dangers experienced in combat outside the obvious threat of enemy weapons. While artwork and iconography often show the images of pitched combat, and narratives often describe strategy and results, there is little attention typically given to these kinds of situations it seems. With your lifetime of intense scrutiny in examining a literal world full of artwork reflecting military themes and weapons, it is exciting to see these views seldom experienced by most of us who know only the key works and images.

It is extremely interesting to see how combatants might have been injured or even killed by thier own weapons. With the tremendous force involved in the workings of these crossbows, it would seem that this event might have occurred far more than might be imagined. In a ridiculously lesser analogy, who can say they have not stretched a rubber band to beyond its limit of expansion, with often momentarily painful result.....just magnify by umpteens!!!

I had always thought of the dangers of firearms exploding as well as cannon due to miscalculated charges or weakened or compromised metal....but hadn't really thought of this.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you so much Michl, for bringing us such didactic panorama, as people currently think of the crossbow as (only) being a weapon of war, often forgetting that these devices equally had a brilliant career in the hunting scenario.
This illustration once more reminds me how short sighted i am , for it took me all this time to figure out where the broken bow arm was. Having so said, i find the panic attitude adopted by the Gentleman in the back of the shooter rather precocious, as it all indicates he won't be hit by the undesired projectile .
On the other hand and showing how humans level of serenity is way much lower than that of (other) animals, is worthy of note to observe the bird relaxing on the tree branch, not giving a dam to the bolt having hit the tree just below its fragile parts .
Another thing Michl ...
Have you some theory, or even certainty, on the reason for that sort of 'mechanism' depicted in the cape of the character on the right of the illustration?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good question Fernando, that standed wheel is definitely the focal point of this work.
Michael, would this work plausibly have been done by Hans Burgkmair (1473-1531), one of Maximilian I's favored artists? It seems he did a good number of varied types of art featuring religious scenes and portraits of citizens in Augsburg.
I am wondering about the possible allegorical content of this illustration, and the unusual 'action' elements. Also, would the predominant 'wheel' shown on the back of the individual in foreground possibly signify the 'Catherine Wheel'?
This was a symbolic for St. Catherine of Alexandria martyred in the 4th century and signifying the 'breaking wheel', with which the Romans tried to execute her but it broke rather than breaking her. Regardless, she was then executed by sword. In reading through heraldic explanations it is suggested that the wheel signifies the faithful who will endure great trials for Christianity.

All the best,
Jim
Old 4th April 2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Jim and 'Nando,

Of course most of these illustrations are Hans Burgkmair's work.

As to the standed wheel which Maximilian's companion is also shown to wear on the front of his coat in another of Burgkmair's engravings in the Theuerdank (attached), I cannot see any relation between this spinning wheel and St. Chatherine's wheel of torture. I would suggest the spinning wheel (Spinnrad) has to do with either the guy's profession or even his name - just like the symbols painted on shields and pavises.

Best,
Michl
Attached Images

Old 4th April 2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi Jim and 'Nando,

Of course most of these illustrations are Hans Burgkmair's work.

As to the standed wheel which Maximilian's companion is also shown to wear on the front of his coat in another of Burgkmair's engravings in the Theuerdank (attached), I cannot see any relation between this spinning wheel and St. Chatherine's wheel of torture. I would suggest the spinning wheel (Spinnrad) has to do with either the guy's profession or even his name - just like the symbols painted on shields and pavises.

Best,
Michl

Thanks very much Michael, and of course it does make perfect sense that the wheel is likely a spinning wheel as it is mounted on a stand. I was thinking of the Catherine wheel in considering possible allegorical connections. Since it does seem that Burgkmair focused a good deal on illustrating local citizens of Augsburg, perhaps this person or family was influential enough for special attention.

All the best,
Jim
Old 4th April 2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Exactly, Jim,

We're on the same page!

Best,
Michael
Old 23rd February 2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Have you some theory, or even certainty, on the reason for that sort of 'mechanism' depicted in the cape of the character on the right of the illustration?

I am pretty sure that it represents the "wheel of fortune" that raises a man up and then casts him down. It's a common medieval motif, but it usually has people on the wheel, and "Fortune" herself turning the crank.

An image search for wheel of fortune medieval will bring up quite a few examples. https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...rtune+medieval. I am new here as I write this, so I am not sure I understand the rules and etiquette of posting images that are not mine.

Mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:24 PM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum Mac
Highly considerable point you got there.
Although the wheel of fortune is usually depicted with (four) characters and Lady Fortune herself sipinning the crank, as you well mention, this might well be a stylized or simplified version.
That small stand in the center would always led (me) other ways

Last edited by fernando; 23rd February 2015 at 06:56 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 01:39 AM   #10
Mac

Thank you, Fernando!

Yes. The lack of people on the wheel does cast a bit of doubt on my interpretation. I have a facsimile of Theuerdank with some notes in English. I will see if there is any mention of the wheel in there.

Mac
Old 25th February 2015, 01:49 AM   #11
Mac

I found something online that supports the wheel of fortune interpretation.

Here is a snip from a description of the book in the British Royal Collections http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/co...719/theuerdank

Quote:
...... A key was provided at the end of the work to inform the reader of the real identity of the main characters: the knight Theuerdank (Maximilian) journeys to claim his bride Ernreich (Rich in Honour; Mary) after the death of her father Romreich (Rich in Fame; Charles), accompanied always by his faithful squire Ernhold (Steadfastly Honoured), who is depicted with the wheel of fortune on his tunic. .....
Mac
Old 16th March 2015, 10:18 AM   #12
thinreadline

Though here is a punishment wheel in a very similar configuration to that shown on the tabards. This shows the execution of Jean Calas in 1762 .
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote