Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th February 2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Luzon Batangas bolo?

Just bought this bolo and after some research I found this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=bolo
Could it be that my one is as well a Luzon Batangas bolo and maybe a Katipunan area sword?

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 02:58 AM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Central Luzon I think? It's some type of itak bolo. Batangas bolos do not have peened through tangs? It's old probably pre WW2. Nice find there there are some Visayan traits carved in the hilt though so this is a hard one to pin down .
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 03:20 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

The blade kind of looks Tagalog.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Indianajones

Hi Detlef, congratulations with this sword firstly!! To my opinion this sword is from North Luzon from Ilocano's, deriving from the shape of the handle (seen in neighbourhood of Vigan). This type would have been carried in a leather sheath by 'lowlander officers' (characterised by wearing a uniform and an oval high pithhelmet) but they were traded around. 'Katipunan' -if you didnt know already - actually means the resistance against the Spanish and is mostly symbolised by a closed fist. I do estimate this sword from being 1850's so from that era, but therefore not specifically as a 'katipunan'example. (tagalog=lowlander=ilocano)

Though I could be (proven) off with my origin as due to trade and this is not my exact field of expertise. Anyone?

Greetings
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Hi Detlef, congratulations with this sword firstly!! To my opinion this sword is from North Luzon from Ilocano's, deriving from the shape of the handle (seen in neighbourhood of Vigan). This type would have been carried in a leather sheath by 'lowlander officers' (characterised by wearing a uniform and an oval high pithhelmet) but they were traded around. 'Katipunan' -if you didnt know already - actually means the resistance against the Spanish and is mostly symbolised by a closed fist. I do estimate this sword from being 1850's so from that era, but therefore not specifically as a 'katipunan'example. (tagalog=lowlander=ilocano)

Though I could be (proven) off with my origin as due to trade and this is not my exact field of expertise. Anyone?

Greetings
Hi Wouter, thank you. Yes, I know what "Katipunan" is/mean and know also that many swords and daggers from this time have a handle which shows a closed fist but not all when I have a look to old threads here.
But I really would like to pin down the origin of my bolo as well an estimated age. So I am very curious what others like Lorenz think about it and can tell me.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 25th February 2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Detlef

Basically it's an itak Tagalog which was a chopper that was used on the farm for various cutting chores. It later used as a fighting bolo during the revolt against the Spanish. As for it's age IMO anywhere from the 1860s-1890s sorry but there really is no sure way to pin down its exact age since this style of bolo was widely used in that area of the Philippines over many years. All I can say is you have a great piece history there

Last edited by Lew; 25th February 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
The blade kind of looks Tagalog.
Hello Jose, isn't Batangas not the center of Tagalog? Do you have a guess about the age of this sword?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 25th February 2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Central Luzon I think? It's some type of itak bolo. Batangas bolos do not have peened through tangs? It's old probably pre WW2. Nice find there there are some Visayan traits carved in the hilt though so this is a hard one to pin down .
Thank you Lew. I am not very firm with the swords from this region and all I know is taken from this place. I have seen a lot of similarity with the bolo from Robert, the carvings at the handle and as well with the blade. There is a sword on Eriks site (actually for selling, so no pictures) with a peened through tang which one he titled as Batangas sword.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 13th May 2020, 07:07 AM   #9
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Just bought this bolo and after some research I found this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=bolo
Could it be that my one is as well a Luzon Batangas bolo and maybe a Katipunan area sword?

Regards,

Detlef
Hi Detlef. This sword is from Cavite based on its hilt. That's Cavite's signature hilt. I don't know the name of the blade profile though.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 06:47 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix
Hi Detlef. This sword is from Cavite based on its hilt. That's Cavite's signature hilt. I don't know the name of the blade profile though.
Hi Xas,

Thank you very much! Great to know that this hilt style is Cavite!

Just for the sake of my understanding, when I understand you correct is the sword in up from the one in question also fitted with a Cavite style handle?

Thank you again and my best regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 13th May 2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 13th May 2020, 08:05 PM   #11
xasterix

Quote:
Hi Xas,

Just for the sake of my understanding, when I understand you correct is the sword in up from the one in question also fitted with a Cavite style handle?

Detlef
Yes, also Cavite. But I believe the albino horn (just a guess, I'm not a good identifier of hilt material) is older. The top sword is interesting ; may I see its scabbard?
Old 13th May 2020, 10:31 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix
Yes, also Cavite. But I believe the albino horn (just a guess, I'm not a good identifier of hilt material) is older. The top sword is interesting ; may I see its scabbard?
First of all, thank you for a great information!

The handle material by the one which started this thread I would describe as green horn. The spine is near the handle 8,4 mm thick and has an interesting marking there, see picture.
The upper one in the last two pictures has a handle from kamagong, ferrule is iron, like by the other one, spine thickness near the handle is 12,3 mm (!).

Sadly are both without scabbard. Would you call the blade shape by the upper one dinahong palay?

Best,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 14th May 2020, 12:41 AM   #13
xasterix

Quote:
First of all, thank you for a great information!

The handle material by the one which started this thread I would describe as green horn. The spine is near the handle 8,4 mm thick and has an interesting marking there, see picture.
The upper one in the last two pictures has a handle from kamagong, ferrule is iron, like by the other one, spine thickness near the handle is 12,3 mm (!).

Sadly are both without scabbard. Would you call the blade shape by the upper one dinahong palay?

Best,
Detlef
No problem on the lack of scabbard. I would think the blade profile is closer to what is called as "dinahong buho" or "dahong buo" by the Tagalog-speaking towns. Here's a modern sample from one of those towns. The blade tip terminates either at center, or at the upper part.
Attached Images

Old 16th April 2023, 03:35 PM   #14
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Xas,

Detlef
Hi Detlef. Necro'ing this because I felt the need to correct my past self lol.

Regarding your four swords, from top to bottom, I would now classify these as:

Laguna uhas tari
Quezon dahong palay
Batangas or Cavite dahong bolo
Pampanga tulipas

Hope this helps!
Old 16th April 2023, 03:52 PM   #15
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Hi Detlef. Necro'ing this because I felt the need to correct my past self lol.

Regarding your four swords, from top to bottom, I would now classify these as:

Laguna uhas tari
Quezon dahong palay
Batangas or Cavite dahong bolo
Pampanga tulipas

Hope this helps!
Hi Xas,

Great information! Thank you very much.

You are a real asset to the forum!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 16th April 2023, 03:59 PM   #16
Sajen

There is another sword in this group, would you be so kind to classify this one as well?

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images