Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 10th August 2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Guns, Germs and Steel (Book)

Did a search and could not find references to this book and want to mention one of the most fascinating books I have read. If it has been noted earlier, apologies, but still worth bring to the forefront for those who are not aware of it.

The author, Jared Diamond (Pulitzer prize 1998 for this book) explores the question '"People of Eurasian origin... dominate the world in wealth and power." Other peoples, after having thrown off colonial domination, still lag in wealth and power. Still others, he says, "have been decimated, subjugated, and in some cases even exterminated by European colonialists."

WHY?

Wonderful account of Pizaro's conquest of the Inca when he had only about 160 men and faced 80,000 Inca.

Wonderful personal insights. FI, The Inca thought that the Spanish were really stupid because they didn't understand the jungle and decided that with two exceptions, they might as well kill all of them. The exception being the horse trainer - they had never seen horses before, and the barber.

Why save the barber? Well, from observation, he was a very powerful healer!! The men, dirty and bedraggled would enter his tent and emerge looking great! Obviously they could learn from this great Shaman!

Diamond amazed me with his logic and development. I kept saying, "Of course, this makes absolute sense, why didn't I think of this before?"

Wicked interesting, and nearly impossible to put down

http://www.ahshistory.com/wp-content...-AND-STEEL.pdf
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 04:34 AM   #2
Nonoy Tan

Hi Bill,

Obviously, religion had much to do with the outcome. The Spaniards had a religion well suited for conquest, unlike that of those who were conquered. The religion of the natives controlled their way of thinking how they conducted wars - which often defied logic. While the natives waited for the right omen to launch an attack (for example, sound of a sacred bird), the Spaniards were already in an advanced stage of battle preparation.

I too like Diamond's theories, but also think they are too simplistic.

Nonoy
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 01:03 AM   #3
Nonoy Tan

The role of the Spaniards in the conquest of the Inca, although crucial, was often over-rated. The majority of Inca casualties were likely caused not by the Spaniards but other Indian armies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq_21QfGRpg

This is the same experience found in the Philippines, for example, when Manila fell to the large Bisayan armies that accompanied the Spaniards in the 16th century.
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote