Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th October 2010, 10:49 PM   #1
ericlaude

Default Croco Kaskara

Hello,
I want to show you my new acquisition.I bought this kaskara to an old Legionary. He was in tchad in 1984 and he rescued a village.This Kaskara is a gift offered to the legionary by the chief of this village.
Its lenght 89 cm OVLL
Attached Images

ericlaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Sajen

Eric,

first time that I see a sword swallowing crocodile!

But in real, a very unique Kaskara sheat! Congrats for this find!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Ron Anderson

Hi

I have seen this sort of hilt on African short swords quite different to this.

One was for sale on a well known ethnographic weapon site on the internet. I would have bought it but know i would have problems from customs importing it

Congratulations. A great acquisition.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 02:49 AM   #4
eques

Wow...looks wicked.

Congrats on the new acquisition.
eques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 05:03 AM   #5
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Wicked!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 06:48 AM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Ridiculously cool. And a nice history/story behind it's acquisition as well...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 05:18 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IS THE CROCODILE A MALE OR FEMALE? ? THE ANSWER IS ITS A MUMMY
I LIKE THESE ODD AND SOMEWHAT CREEPY ITEMS IT IS CERTIANLY WORTHY TO HANG ON THE WALL AT THE HOME OF THE ADAMS FAMILY OR AT THE MUNSTERS. VERY APPROPRIATE FOR HALLOWEEN
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Eric,
This is probably one of the most unusual configurations of the crocodile themed weapons of Mahdist and post Mahdist Sudan I have seen. In my opinion these are most likely from southern Nilotic regions and Darfur, where the slaving commerce was prevalent in accord with trade routes. I have often thought this decoration was intended to induce fear in those who encountered the warrior or trader wearing the weapon. The crocodile in these areas was not only revered, but dreadfully feared, and these elements of the crocodile on weapons suggested power in the holder of the weapon.

Over many years I have attempted to discuss the relevance of the use of crocodile anatomy on weapons in these times, typically to have suggestions dismissed as 'fanciful' speculation , usually with suggestions that these were made to tantalize tourists etc. I disagree and have seen many provenanced examples that were indeed in use by Mahdist warriors as well as worn later with totemic values aligned with the crocodile material.

The kaskara itself, as noted, appears of Darfur type and the blade most likely of Hausa manufacture with typical fullering and dukari placement.

Nice acquisition Eric!!! definitely out of the ordinary.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 11:52 AM   #9
ariel

I am not a vegetarian, but for some reasons these croc scabbards are revolting.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I am not a vegetarian, but for some reasons these croc scabbards are revolting.
Kinda like alligator boots (seen often in these parts), and of course many types of leatherwork, our shoes are leather etc. I see your point though, and they do look pretty revolting/scary....as noted, that was the purpose. Many weapons were intended to present a bit of psychological edge, as well have seen in so many cases.
I've really never seen one quite this dramatic, and this one I'm pretty sure the wives wouldn't want around the house. From an ethnographic standpoint, an outstanding example. It seems that crocodiles were once mummified in Egypt/Sudan in ancient times as they were key in many of the deities I believe, cannot recall details offhand.
Old 15th October 2010, 06:26 PM   #11
ericlaude

Arrow

I agree Jim,In position of edged weapons collector , it is necessary to see the ethnographic side of our objects, because if we go farther to sensitivity, remind of us that the weapon which we collect served has break through, cut up and sometimes cut our congeneric up.Tradition of the ancient time did not take into account modern ecological ideas.
ericlaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 05:28 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks very much Eric. It is always good to keep an objective view in the study of weapons, as they reflect important perspective in learning and understanding more on those who used them.

Which leads me to a question I have tried to find out more about many times through the years, and may have some relation to these crocodile themed weapons. There seem to have been 'crocodile cults' which are mentioned in Briggs, regarding anthropological work done by Colin Turnbull, but nothing firther to explain where or what these were. There is mention of 'blades' so presumably swords were involved.
There were I believe secret societies in some of the tribes toward the west in the Congo and perhaps other regions which may have had to do with the crocodile totem, I know there were leopard themed groups.
In these groups there were elements of dress with leopard skins, some had armor made of pangolin shell (Benin I believe) .

Possibly some out there with deeper knowledge of African ethnography might have some information on these 'crocodile cults'?

All best regards,
Jim