Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th September 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Help ID Yataghan. Is it Armenian? Russian?

I have an unusual Yataghan that I wanted to gather some opinions as to possible origins. I am leaning strongly towards Armenian as I have not found anything similar in any of my references. The hilt has a strong shasqua-esque look to it. The ribbed grip reminds me of many of the 19th century military pattern shasqua's and my example even has the bifurcated pommel like you find on shasqua's. The blade is forward curving much like that of a yataghan. The scabbard has a bit more of an Eastern flare to it but also seems to have a military feel to it. I look forward to comments on this pieces.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 08:07 PM   #2
ariel

My first reaction was that of a Laz Bichaq: deep circular ribbing of the handle. The bolster looks 1891 pattern Russian shashka. Overall, I would put it into Southern Georgia/Lazistan.
I am unaware of any typical Armenian swords/daggers or even motives ( except for flat niello). This is strange, since every ethnic group around had their national weapons. The most famous Caucasian armourers were ethnic Armenians ( Papov, Mamikonov, Keurk ), and at least 30-50% of the silversmiths in large centers were Armenians as well, but the only way people attribute a particular weapon to the Armenian tradition is when there are Armenian inscriptions.
Thus, I do not know on what basis can we define this yataghan as "Armenian".
Russian masters in Tula and Zlatoust made gorgeous parade yataghans, but, like all things Russian, they were over the top: gold, gems, barbaric Orient....the works. I do not know why would Russians imitate Russian military motives in making an obviously exotic (to them) weapon.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 02:09 AM   #3
RSWORD

Thanks Ariel for the thoughts about this piece. My feelings toward Armenian was to join the styles together as this region would make a lot of sense why you would have a yataghan style blade and scabbard with a more Russian style handle. So, perhaps not Russian made at all but strongly Russian influenced?
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote