Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
katana

Default Kaskara for Comment.

Hi,
'picked this up' today. A Kaskara ...the hilt seems to white metal ...the pommel and banding (just before it) seems older than the handle and wiring. (re-hilted probably.) Blade still relatively sharp, single fuller with faint etching which looks to a some sort of pattern with some foliage.

Blade marked with "W. Clauberg Solingen" which is slightly worn, under langet. Under the other langet is a standing knight marking. Out of a number of Kaskara I have handled, this seems to be one of the 'better balanced' versions. Is this a good example. I am assuming the blade is mid 19th C and the fullers look forged.

Please any information or comments gratefully recieved

Thank you
David

Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Very nice sword never saw one with that type of pommel.

Congrats
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
katana

Thanks Lew ,
would you have any idea as to the region / tribe that this sword may have originated ?

Regards David
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Atlantia

Very Very nice David, Very interesting handle and a rather fine looking blade!
Congratulations. I'd love that one myself.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:11 PM   #5
colin henshaw

A fine kaskara - never seen that type of pommel before.

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow, nicely done David!
This is a high end piece I would say, from Darfur. It is really unlikely to say what tribes or exact regions at this point, but obviously the Fur are predominant. I will check notes further later tonight, wagons west right now, Fort Stockton Texas in about 350 miles

From what I recall Clauberg was one of the Solingen makers supplying cavalry sabre blades to the U.S. mid 19th century until after Civil War.

It seems I have seen the very decorative pommel in the Kendall notes, and the lozenge pattern of the grip is Darfur, and is found in the Reed article.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
katana

Thank you Gene, Colin and Jim ,
I am very pleased with it....and it was quite cheap I bought this from, of all places, a 'boot fair' .....for our non Brits....this is where you load your car with unwanted items, drive to a muddy field with other 'car booters' , set up a stall, wait for the 'customers' and sell your 'wares'.

Imagine my surprise to see this on display .....bearing in mind the current knife/sword laws in the UK

A quick unsuccessful haggle, had me walking around the boot fair without the sword.....left it for around 1 hour....went back with my final offer (well not really , but he believed it was)... which was accepted. I got the distinct impression, that comments by others about the legality of sword sales ... worried the seller....and was very much to my advantage

Very much looking forward to further comments from the books of the 'Wandering Librarian' Thanks Jim

Kind Regards David
Old 2nd August 2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Thank you Gene, Colin and Jim ,
I am very pleased with it....and it was quite cheap I bought this from, of all places, a 'boot fair' .....for our non Brits....this is where you load your car with unwanted items, drive to a muddy field with other 'car booters' , set up a stall, wait for the 'customers' and sell your 'wares'.

Imagine my surprise to see this on display .....bearing in mind the current knife/sword laws in the UK

A quick unsuccessful haggle, had me walking around the boot fair without the sword.....left it for around 1 hour....went back with my final offer (well not really , but he believed it was)... which was accepted. I got the distinct impression, that comments by others about the legality of sword sales ... worried the seller....and was very much to my advantage

Very much looking forward to further comments from the books of the 'Wandering Librarian' Thanks Jim

Kind Regards David
Jeez you were lucky mate! I can't believe you went off and came back an hour later and it was still there????
OMG!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:10 PM   #9
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Jeez you were lucky mate! I can't believe you went off and came back an hour later and it was still there????
OMG!
I imagine that few would know it was a 'legitimate' sword, I expect many thought it was a Chinese or Pakistan 'repo' . I didn't notice the makers stamp, till after I had bought it and got it home (due to dirt/rust) .....if I had..... my 60 minutes may have been reduced to 60 seconds

Best
David