Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Aleksey G.

Default Weird EBAY Glitch. Did anybody encounter this? Knife Ban US?

Hello,
Having this weird problem on ebay. Have a british saber up for sale on Ebay US, item is located in US with local and int shipping. It let me put on the item fine, this was before march 15th. Now I'm trying to revise the item and its not letting me sumbit my revisions because of the as ebay put it: "some knifes are prohibited on Ebay"

Did anybody encounter this on the Ebay US yet? Is this a glitch that got crossed over from the Ebay UK knife ban? Maybe cause I got british, english saber in the name?

Weird....
Aleksey G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Berkley

The problem may be your offer of international shipping. There have been confusing reports on the latest eBay US policy. US sellers supposedly have to uncheck some box that would otherwise permit shipping sharp non-kitchenware items to the UK.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello All,
I just have had a similar problem and also don't understand what happened. E-bay US removed my listing.
Here my text in the my listing:
Nice Moro barong, hard wood pommel, grip covered with brass sleeve, comlete hilt wrapped with braided copper wire in Moro style, one old small chip at the pommel missing, heavy and solid blade 0,5 cm thick in up, light wood sheat, in up and down inlaid with MOP, an repair in the back, one small piece missing at the carving at the mouth. 68 cm inside the sheat, hilt 14 cm, blade 41,5 cm.
And here what they write me:
You recently listed the following auction-style listing:

300299586377 - Moro Barong from Philippines, no kris, keris

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because the following information violates our policy:

We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

The sale of weapons is highly regulated by the government, and these items can harm the eBay Community. For these reasons, eBay restricts the sale of weapons to a very few types, and these sales can take place only under very specific conditions. The following items are not permitted on eBay:

- Brass, plastic, or metal knuckles
- Batons
- Billy clubs
- Hidden weapons
- Throwing stars
- Nunchaku
- Leaded canes, staffs, crutches, or sticks
- Zip guns
- Shurikens
- Hand grenades or metal replica hand grenades
- Sandclubs
- Sandbags
- Slungshots (also known as saps or blackjacks)

Pepper spray and mace are only permitted for sale when offered with domestic shipping within the United States. However, sellers and buyers alike should be aware that several states and municipalities regulate the sale and possession of these items, and should make sure that they are in compliance with these laws when buying or selling pepper spray or mace on eBay.

They inform me that I can relist it :
To relist your item, sign in to eBay, go to My eBay to your Unsold items, and select the item that was canceled -- it's highlighted with a yellow banner. Before relisting, please make any changes necessary to ensure that your revised listing is in compliance with the law and eBay policies. You might want to check your other listings for similar violations as well.
Someone can enlighten me what I have done wrong?

Best regards,
sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Sajen

Hello Aleksey,
I just see that you are coming from US, I am from Germany. I just read the policies and the reason why my item has been removed is that I list it in US e-bay and I am not US townsman and the item location is Germany. But it isn't really clear to me. But still don't understand why your item is removed.
sajen
Old 15th March 2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Aleksey G.

Guys,

Just tried to revise with NO international shipping at all, but still have the same problem.

It almost seems like ebay has a team of people working on checking the ebay items for the new UK ban policy and some of them either dont care nor dont know and just remove or mark "BAD" items that really shouldn't.

Or maybe its the opposite, computer does the checking and nobody really checks the results after.

In any case its frustrating as heck.

Alex
Aleksey G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello Aleksey,
I just listed new in german e-bay. From german e-bay I know that they let search by computer with key words (knife, dagger, sword, blade). I think it's the same in US. Have to agree with you complete, it is frustrating, have had already two bids on!
sajen
Old 16th March 2009, 05:19 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Unhappy WHY BOTHER??

Why not support THIS FORUM where we don't have to pander to the whims of "Big Brother". I realise that maybe we don't get the wide coverage, but with the continued S+++ from Ebay, surely this is the place to sell/ buy/trade items!!
Even if it means that we have to (eventually) pay a small fee to trade here, to help finance the Site, it is surely much less frustrating than fighting the rediculous rules and regulations being imposed!
Fight on Chaps!
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

We certainly have had an uptick in Swap listings of late .
No fees too !!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote