Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2024, 10:52 PM   #1
David R

Default Kukri from Birmingham (UK) antique arms fair.

The piece I am possibly the most pleased with from Brum. It's been a while since I last bought a Kukri, and this is a cracker, well forged and finished and in good condition, with just a little surface rust and some degradation of the leather. The grip is brown-green horn (with a small crack) rather than black, and with a steel butt-cap held by two screws as well as a tang peen. My guess is tween the World Wars and private purchase by an officer. I just gave it a little scrub with oil and wire wool for now to keep it safe and a little dressing on the leather.... Found in the cheap box mixed in with the all-sorts!
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2024, 03:56 AM   #2
drac2k

She is a beauty; with all of the luck that you have been having lately finding blades, I think that you need to buy a lottery ticket.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2024, 08:08 AM   #3
RAMBA

More around WW1 with a butt cap with the 2 screws like that.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2024, 02:40 PM   #4
Kmaddock

Well Done David a lovely example.
My understanding of Kukuri is limited but I believe having the fullers on the blade (known as chirra) is desirable.
Great to see the horn handle not cracked and from the sounds of it a good price also, which is always preferable.
Keep well,
Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2024, 11:36 PM   #5
RobT

Default More On The Fuller

Hi David,

Very nice khukri indeed. I assume that the ferrule is steel also? That type of fuller is called ang khola. From what I have read, it originated in northern India (a lot of khukri blades, even Nepalese GI ones, were forged in India). What is the length of your blade as measured in a straight line from the ferrule to the tip?

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2024, 02:26 AM   #6
AHite

Very nice Kukri! I've not seen one with the fuller in the blade, but am now in the hunt. I own three decent ones and have passed on a number of tourist grade kukris that seem to be fairly common here in the States.
AHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2024, 07:30 AM   #7
kronckew

This blade shape is my favourite. They do not have the odd 'knuckle' discontinuity more modern khuks have from around just after WW2. The M43 was the last before they did that. Definitely an ang khola khukuri. Ang Khola means 'back valley' for it's one fuller near the spine. I've seen them with up to 5 fullers (chirra). here's mine with a stag grip and a rough leather cover over the more std. black leather & wood scabbard. She's a beast, so I call her 'Godzilla'.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2024, 07:52 PM   #8
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post
Hi David,

Very nice khukri indeed. I assume that the ferrule is steel also? That type of fuller is called ang khola. From what I have read, it originated in northern India (a lot of khukri blades, even Nepalese GI ones, were forged in India). What is the length of your blade as measured in a straight line from the ferrule to the tip?

Sincerely,
RobT
All steel, no brass anywhere.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2024, 03:11 AM   #9
RobT

Default As Good As It Gets

David R,

You must be a pretty big guy or at least have big hands because the khukri looks smaller than it is in relation to your hand. Still, it is small enough that I wouldn't rule out a private purchase by a WWII airman. For me, a steel ferrule is more desirable than brass because of its strength. Altogether, a great find (especially since you got it in a bargain bin).

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote