Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th March 2024, 10:34 AM   #1
Pendita65

Default New arrivals

Hi,

I recently purchased these Indonesian weapons a sewar from Sumatra and two tombak’s transformed into daggers. Happily the tang is still k and not adjusted to fit the handle. The curved tombak has 4 luk. And I don’t know if it should be uneven as it is with Keris. Both Tombak have pamor the curved one is more visible than the other one. The handle of the curved one has a dolphin look to it. I am not sure what it could be otherwise. The other Tombak is decorated with brass and I am notoire if I would clean it. I will de-rust the blade.
The Sewar is missing a small piece on the handle on the opposite side. They choose the would well as it has strong figuration almost burl on the top part.
I am not sure how these Tombak are called if it is a overal name Tombak or can one classify them by their shape?

Best wishes, Martin.
Attached Images

Pendita65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2024, 11:28 AM   #2
Sajen

Hi Martin,

Nice lot! I can't help you with dapur names of your tombaks, others as Alan maybe yes! I personally would give the fittings a little bit of care and would polish up only a little bit the brass, could be mamas also, you will see it better when polished up. The wood looks very dry, special at the sewar handle.
The curved tomak shows 5 luk IMHO.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2024, 02:29 PM   #3
Pendita65

Hi Detlef,

Yes the sewar handle is dry and allmost dull in looks but will give it a treatment
You count the Luk from the point I guess then I see 5 Luk too.
Also got an nice antique selut silver plated with inten that needs some replating.
It's good to see the forum is online again. I am curious what was the reason.

Regards, Martin
Old 9th March 2024, 09:30 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Sorry, I can contribute nothing worthwhile.

I cannot count the luk in the waved tombak, the straight tombak is not really a classifiable dhapur, but even so, I think most people would take a shot & give it as "godong pring" --- even though it is not strictly that.

The dress on both tombak is well & truly outside of any Central Javanese style that I have seen, I'm guessing probably both sets of dress are North Coast/East Jawa.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2024, 12:31 PM   #5
Pendita65

Smile

Thank you Mr. Maisey much appreciated.