Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2006, 09:42 PM   #1
VVV

Default Documentation of my Keris and Indo-Malay weapon collection

I have just finished my hobby project of documenting my collection of Keris and Indo-Malay smaller blades (page 7 and 8).
I have also included quotes from different old sources to the different weapons.
As in all documentations I am sure that there are several errors.
But that's the advantage of the Internet, compared to static books, it's easier to correct the errors.
Please comment directly or send me a PM when you discover something wrong.
Maybe I will start with spears or swords in 2007...

Michael

http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_album.php

Last edited by VVV; 11th December 2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Corrected the link
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 04:00 AM   #2
BluErf

Hi Michael,

You have an impressive collection. I think you can consider setting up an antique enthnographic arms gallery, and enthusiasts/collectors would be most happy to visit to see the pieces up close.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 09:10 AM   #3
VVV

Hi Kai Wee,

I already have had several galleries, by appointment only, for years now.
Unfortunately I had to limit the amount of exhibition walls after I got married.
For some reason my wife didn't like having swords in our bedroom?
When will you visit?

Michael

Last edited by VVV; 17th December 2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 17th December 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Unfortunately I had to limit the amount of exhibition walls after I got married.
Yours too, eh?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 02:29 PM   #5
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Hi Kai Wee,

I already have had several galleries, by appointment only, for years now.
When will you visit?

Michael
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the invitation. I'll see if I can work it into the honeymoon schedule for a couple of days in Sweden. That would be in July or August next year.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 03:30 PM   #6
VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Yours too, eh?
David,

Maybe our wives should have their own sub-forum?
Well, maybe not such a good idea anyway....

Kai Wee,

You're always welcome!

Michael
Old 23rd December 2006, 05:25 PM   #7
vogan

Default Hello VVV

I have greatly enjoyed browsing your museum sized collection. As a beginner I find the captions help me to focus my observations and increase my Keris vocabulary at the same time. It seems to take so much looking to begin attempting even the most basic judgments about possible origins, styles and quality that, for lack of readily accessible and affordable reference material, even a one sentence caption from a knowledgeable collector is of assistance to a newcomer. While I’ve found some of the basics, Frey, Solyom, van Duuren, and recently bit the bullet to send a Dutch bookshop over $300.00 (gasp!) for Tammens three volumes, I find myself scouring the net and this forum for tidbits of information. And to return to your collection, I also like the fine and detailed photographs, interesting close ups and conversational style of your descriptions. Posted collections like yours also become a helpful reference for collectors like myself hoping to learn more about my modest acquisitions.
Vogan
vogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 06:34 AM   #8
Alam Shah

Hi Michael and Kai Wee, both of you have an impressive and wide-ranging collection. I thank you for your time, effort and spirit of sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogan
While I’ve found some of the basics, Frey, Solyom, van Duuren, and recently bit the bullet to send a Dutch bookshop over $300.00 (gasp!) for Tammens three volumes, I find myself scouring the net and this forum for tidbits of information.
Vogan
Hi Vogan, most of us had gone thru' that path, before. The 'De Verre Volken' bookshop at (www.ethnographicartbooks.com/) does have a collection of hard to find keris books. Belief me, it is money well spent. Just treat it as a holiday present for yourself.

Frey's The Kris: Mystic Weapon of the Malay World, Solyom's The World of the Javanese Keris, van Duuren's The Kris: an earthly approach to a cosmic symbol, Tammen's 3 volumes of De Kris: Magic Relic of Old Indonesia, are all good reference books for the study of keris. After that, it'll take sometime to absorb the information within.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 04:41 PM   #9
vogan

Hello Alam Shah,
Thanks for the advice on reference works. The bookseller you linked to is indeed the one from whom I’ve made purchases. What I think most unfortunate, for us English only collectors, is the apparent disappearance of Solyom’s The World of the Javanese Keris from circulation. I thought that one of the best things I’ve read, and the sequence of photographs showing the various stages in the forging of a Keris blade and the emergence of a hilt from a chunk of wood to be wonderful documents of the genesis of these fascinating objects. The only offerings I’ve noticed on the web of late start at near $200.00 and rise to $500.00. I was very fortunate to obtain one a couple of months ago from a fellow forumite at reasonable cost. I hope that work does not become the exclusive property of avaricious scalpers. Since you responded to this post, let me also say that as a beginner I quickly became aware of your generous sharing of knowledge in this forum and on the Kampungnet. In your posted collection I was quite fascinated by the Keris Jawa, Luk 5, Dapur Pandawa Karna Tinanding and spent a lot of time marveling at that piece. And one of the most enjoyable discoveries was to chance upon your photo album of : Rangsang Rias Pusaka Bangsa III (2006). I had previously come upon the event poster on the Malay Art Gallery site and it roused my curiosity. While a trip to the other side of the world is not in my immediately foreseeable future, your photos transported me oceans away to an event I would have loved to have been able to attend. Very cool. Thanks!
vogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 11:45 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Hello Alam Shah,
What I think most unfortunate, for us English only collectors, is the apparent disappearance of Solyom’s The World of the Javanese Keris from circulation.
Wow Vogan, at first i thought you weren't looking in the right places. I mean, a bought my copy maybe 3 years ago at the most for only $35. But i just checked bookfinder.com and you are right! The cheapest copies start a bit over $180 and go up past $500.
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...03289823_1:1:1
BTW, i highly recommend bookfinder.com It gives you a choice by listing of cheapest on up and i often see books that are available at www.ethnographicartbooks.com/ for even less money from other sellers.
Old 25th December 2006, 11:51 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

It may be an oversite and he may have long sold out, but Erik at EriksEdge seems to still have a copy for $35
http://www.eriksedge.com/TheWorldoft...neseKeris.html
Old 26th December 2006, 12:51 AM   #12
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It may be an oversite and he may have long sold out, but Erik at EriksEdge seems to still have a copy for $35
http://www.eriksedge.com/TheWorldoft...neseKeris.html
I've got mine from erikedge. A very good book indeed, with many illustrations.

When copies of old keris books are made available, I would try to obtain them, if possible.
Old 26th December 2006, 01:14 AM   #13
Alam Shah

Quote:
Hello Alam Shah,
...Since you responded to this post, let me also say that as a beginner I quickly became aware of your generous sharing of knowledge in this forum and on the Kampungnet. In your posted collection I was quite fascinated by the Keris Jawa, Luk 5, Dapur Pandawa Karna Tinanding and spent a lot of time marveling at that piece. And one of the most enjoyable discoveries was to chance upon your photo album of : Rangsang Rias Pusaka Bangsa III (2006). I had previously come upon the event poster on the Malay Art Gallery site and it roused my curiosity. While a trip to the other side of the world is not in my immediately foreseeable future, your photos transported me oceans away to an event I would have loved to have been able to attend. Very cool. Thanks!
You are most welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It makes my efforts worthwhile. All in the spirit of sharing.
Old 26th December 2006, 04:20 PM   #14
VVV

Quote:
I have greatly enjoyed browsing your museum sized collection. As a beginner I find the captions help me to focus my observations and increase my Keris vocabulary at the same time...Posted collections like yours also become a helpful reference for collectors like myself hoping to learn more about my modest acquisitions.
Vogan
Thanks Vogan,

I am travelling at the moment, without my regular computer, so I don't have much possibility to join the discussions.
But I am happy if my collection pages has been of some help for you and other collectors.
It's great when we all can share info to each other as on this forum.

Michael