Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th December 2016, 10:12 PM   #1
TVV

Default Zanzibari (?) Saif for Comment

I am guessing this is from Eastern Africa rather than the Maghreb based on the tilt in the pommel. There also seems to have been a metal piece in the pommel which is now missing. The guard is a little unusual and made of brass, no D ring. The blade has no markings at all and is similar to some naval cutlass blades in style. The whole sword weighs 529 grams (18.5 oz) and is 89 cm long (35 inches) the blade 73.5 cm (29 inches).

The hilt is of some kind of dark horn: feel much thinner compared to Moroccan saifs and also seems like the Zanzibari hilts tend to be polished.

Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
I am guessing this is from Eastern Africa rather than the Maghreb based on the tilt in the pommel. There also seems to have been a metal piece in the pommel which is now missing. The guard is a little unusual and made of brass, no D ring. The blade has no markings at all and is similar to some naval cutlass blades in style. The whole sword weighs 529 grams (18.5 oz) and is 89 cm long (35 inches) the blade 73.5 cm (29 inches).

The hilt is of some kind of dark horn: feel much thinner compared to Moroccan saifs and also seems like the Zanzibari hilts tend to be polished.

Teodor
Salaams Teodor, I agree since it does not display any of the usual decorative detail of a Moroccan Nimcha and has the hilt and curved base to the knuckleguard.
In support I place library resource detail and a key thread http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=nimcha for readers to cross check. See also Butin charts at that reference.
I have to say the IIXII STYLING TO THE HILT IS INTERESTING...
...and I think the hilt is Rhino.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 21st December 2016 at 01:49 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 06:59 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Hi Teodor,
Do you think that the knuckle guard and quillons are relatively new made replacements compared with the hilt itself? They look to me to be a bit thin compared with those normally seen.
I agree with Ibrahiim that the hilt COULD be rhino, and it also features the " turned down" shape often/usually found on Zanzibari Nimcha.
Some pics of a Zanzibari hilt to compare.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 08:21 PM   #4
ariel

Could it be Algierean?

Those had 2 down-turned quillons instead of 3 on Moroccan and Zanzibari.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 09:10 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In looking to Buttin (1933), in the photos of a good number of these swords which we refer to colloquially as 'nimcha' they are described only as sa'if. In the plate with the familiar 'ring' or 'loop' guard and the distinctive peak atop the pommel of the hilt, these are described only as 'Arab' sa'if with no mention of Zanzibar. These are mostly labeled with optimism as 17th c with one (996) even to end of 16th.
It must be remembered this research and material was compiled probably in early years of 20th c.

The Moroccan examples (Maghrebi, incuding both Morocco and Algeria) are also described as sa'if with the pommel flatter and no peak. There is no loop or ring guard, just the downturned multi quillon system.

The only 'Zanzibar' designation seemed to derive from mostly collector terms which seems to have appeared in the book by Alain Jacob in the 1980s I think. Louis-Pierre Cavalliere in his paper on these a number of years ago also included that term.

I think Ibrahiim found the most compelling evidence linking these peaked pommel sabres with ring loop guard and some without with the linking of local material culture motif from Zanzibar on one of these. I think the form may be most properly served by 'Arab' however they seem most prevalent in that trade from India to Oman and Red Sea...from there of course to Zanzibar.

I agree the brass work on the guard on this one posted is 'thin' and clearly made 'in the style of'.
The 'X' and lines type of motif is seen stamped in the forte of some examples of these nimcha variations; they are seen on some knives and items believed from Afghan regions (some mistaken for the 'Royal Seal' Mazir I Sharif); as well as on some kaskara and Ethiopian cases if I recall.

While the blade here is of course 19th century sabre of trade or military type probably German, the hilt is much more modern recalling styles and motif from the Arab trade in the India-Arabia-Red Sea networks.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 10:09 PM   #6
Richard G

I would go down Jim's route. It could be one of those curious hybrids that Yemen and the Red Sea coast often produce. Also, I would not rule out Sumatra or somewhere like that, produced for or under the influence of the Arab trading communities there that were once quite significant.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote