Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th April 2022, 07:33 PM   #1
David R

Default A Western style dagger

Yesterday, Sunday 10th April I went to a local militaria fair and picked up a few new (to me) items, all small and inexpensive.... A rarity nowadays and ever harder to find.
This one was one of a bundle, so impossible to say what it cost individually. It's nicely finished, and may be a bit of a "shotgun job" or an assemblage. The thick leather scabbard I am pretty sure was cut down from a longer one. The dagger itself, could be one of those Victorian hunting knives, or an anti-garroters defence, or even a private purchase trench dagger. Some parts look to have been together for some time.
Comments and suggestions welcome. There are no marks or stamps visible.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2022, 09:19 PM   #2
Victrix

Nice dagger! The crossguard and pommel are highly distinctive but unfortunately I don’t recognize them. The diamond cross section of the blade makes it more for thrust than cut, so I would describe it as a dagger rather than a hunting knife. With the brass details, pommel and horn handle a wild guess would be that it could be filippino?
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2022, 09:28 PM   #3
Victrix

Googling ”filippino dagger” I found: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23770 and pic below. They seem generally to have straight crossguards though.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote