Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 7th February 2022, 03:20 AM   #61
Calien

No nothing, lots of foliage but not even the GR on it. Pretty unique in that sense I'm guessing because he was French? Also yes Steve is doing a really amazing job with his database, I promised him I would write up an article about this sword but my writing skills suck as you can see lol.
Calien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 07:41 PM   #62
JT88

Well I got an expert opinion and they said: “It is of the earlier form of c. 1805 period, but likely 1810-20. Without the regimental devices in motif it is hard to say, but the motif in your fittings resembles one from the 9th Lancers.”

I think this is as far as deduction can carry us on this Mameluke. The blade may have been acquired during the second Egypt expedition in 1811. The British did loot a lot of blades then, then put together back in England. As for the scabbard motifs, if they are ONLY found on lancer blades. I think it can be assumed this was a lancer’s, though of which unit I’ll never know. Glad to have stirred some healthy discussion here. Calien has many beautiful Mamelukes. I’d be happy to post my Pala here but there isn’t anything to learn on that one.
JT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 02:57 AM   #63
Bryce

G'day JT88,
The 11th Hussars also had similar motifs on their scabbard bands and cross guards. I think you can call it "in the style favoured by light cavalry officers", but you can't narrow it down to just Lancers.
Cheers,
Bryce
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 09:59 AM   #64
JT88

Where do you see the 11th Hussar example?
Old 8th February 2022, 09:01 PM   #65
Bryce

If you google "11th Hussars mameluke" you can find several examples on the web.

Going back to Calien's mameluke by T Symmons 102 Pall Mall, I stumbled across an example on the net which does have a Runkel blade. Either Symmons was in business before 1815 or he was using old stock?

Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Old 8th February 2022, 11:36 PM   #66
JT88

I did, and I see no 11th Hussar mamelukes that have the same fittings??
Old 9th February 2022, 12:43 AM   #67
Bryce

You are right. The 11th Hussars sword I posted above has exactly the same design on the crossguard (with the addition of the Egypt battle honour) as marked 9th Lancers examples, but the scabbard bands have a similar, but not the same motif.
Cheers,
Bryce
Old 21st February 2022, 07:49 PM   #68
JT88

Well guys I appreciate all the responses! The detective work is always fun, if not the best part about collecting antique weapons, though I want to consider myself a historian and not an antiquarian so the research will always continue, but this has come to an end for now at least.

I did my write-up on the piece and posted it to SBG

Cheers!

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/t...mameluke-sword
Old 24th February 2022, 08:03 PM   #69
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT88 View Post
Well guys I appreciate all the responses! The detective work is always fun, if not the best part about collecting antique weapons, though I want to consider myself a historian and not an antiquarian so the research will always continue, but this has come to an end for now at least.

I did my write-up on the piece and posted it to SBG

Cheers!

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/t...mameluke-sword

This is an absolutely brilliant look into these most interesting and attractive sabers JT!!! It makes very clear the resounding influence that these swords made on the British and French, and that Wellington, one of the most admired British leaders of his time, set the pace for these to become such prized swords in the British army.

Thank you for sharing this here! Your example of the mameluke saber becomes so much more appreciated with this colorful background.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 07:33 PM   #70
JT88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
This is an absolutely brilliant look into these most interesting and attractive sabers JT!!! It makes very clear the resounding influence that these swords made on the British and French, and that Wellington, one of the most admired British leaders of his time, set the pace for these to become such prized swords in the British army.

Thank you for sharing this here! Your example of the mameluke saber becomes so much more appreciated with this colorful background.
Thanks, Jim! Your help was instrumental!