Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2014, 02:05 AM   #1
russel

Default African Sickle Knife

Hi guys,

Canyone give me a name (or any other information) about this sickle type knife.

Cheers - Russel
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Russel,
I donīt have books with me (re ethnic groups), nevertheless this is comming somewhere from the Nigerian-Cameroonian borderland, from the northern part. It occured in handicraft villages (flea-markets) in Abuja from time to time
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 08:29 AM   #3
russel

Thanks Martin, would you hazard a guess to it's age? By "flea markets" do you thing it was produced for foreign buyers, or could it be a traditional item?

Thanks again, Russel
Old 25th February 2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

This is kind of artefact which "they" are able to produce now, like before, at that area.

A few years ago I would say that this is not that kind of artefact which they used to copy "en mase" for tourists, like e.g. Aqua ba or Ibeji statuettes (both on your picture) or masks etc.

Nevertheless, I found out that locals learn very quickly, that the local vendors are very responsive. E.g. if there are cca 3 "relatively rich foreigners" who collect cold weapons or another artefacts made of anything, in the capital for a few years (employees of foreign missions and organisations, companies), they usually ask for what they "need", giving descriptions, copying pictures from books etc to vendors. And vendors usually bring what they promisse from the bush and villages - either newly made/copied by local blacksmiths (the know how to "make it old", or really "old" (or letīs use eBay jargon - "tribally used"). Nowadays it is also complicated by using internet, some people gives them orders by e-mail. And so, very probably, they already have new iron stuff on stock in "antique shops", too.

It is difficult to determine age from the picture, but I think "your item" is not new. Ihope I will not be mistaken if I say from thirties till seventies last century (?)
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 10:08 PM   #5
russel

Thanks Martin,

The seller isn't asking much, and the stand is included, so I think I'll grab it.

I'll post clearer images as soon as I can.

Cheers, Russel