Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th January 2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Daniel

Default Grandpa's Keris

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Am a long time knife collector, but a novice with ethnographic blades.
My grandfather lived and traveled in Indonesia back in the 50's and brought this back as a souvenir. I remember sneaking into his den and playing with it when I was a boy. When he died I inherited it.
I posted some photos on another knife collecting forum and was told that it was a Balinese kris, that the mounting was modern, but the blade may be older. (How much 'older' was not indicated). That's pretty much all I know about the sword.
I would be happy to get any additional info as to when or where it might have been made, if it is of any particular style, and any info as to who the little figure depicts. I don't plan to ever sell the sword as it has personal value, but I'd like to know if this is a poor example of the type or a good one.
I would also like to know if it would be recommended to clean or treat the blade as is the custom. I can see a limited amount of the pamor, but it is certainly not bold as many of the blades I have been seeing. With most knife collecting, I have learned to leave it as is, but it appears that refinishing the blade is accepted practice with the keris. I'd like to know what the experts would do with a keris like this.
Thanks for your help. DD
Attached Images

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote