inveterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 12:44 AM   #32
inveterate

one more. Rod
Attached Images

Old 3rd February 2008, 01:07 PM   #33
Tatyana Dianova

Thank you Rod for the beautiful display - this is really a feast for the eyes! The long-handled kukri is of course of Siropate type, as I have suspected - and the one I will look for in the future
You may improve your photo skills very easily: NEVER use a flash and ALWAYS use a tripod. The making of pictures outside on the cloudy day is great, but if you have a lot of neighbours, then you may take pictures at home, near the window, on the bright day.
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:40 PM   #34
inveterate

Tatyana, thank you, the long handled one are now days more commonly refer ed to in the collecting fraternity as "Lambendh" (previously sometimes known as "Hanshee") they do have the "Sirupate" style of blade in the main but are additionally often characterized by longer handles 5 inch plus and simple design Kaudi
Old 4th February 2008, 07:49 PM   #35
spiral

Nice to see some kuks from whats quite possibly the best of the known kukri collections in the world Rod, The top one & the long handle piece should realy be in my collection though I am sure!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 08:49 PM   #36
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by inveterate
Tatyana, thank you, the long handled one are now days more commonly refer ed to in the collecting fraternity as "Lambendh" (previously sometimes known as "Hanshee") they do have the "Sirupate" style of blade in the main but are additionally often characterized by longer handles 5 inch plus and simple design Kaudi
Could you ( once and for all) explain to me ( and, I presume, to many others) the different styles of Kukris? I have read many times about Sirupati, Lambendh etc and still have no idea what do these words and styles mean.
Nothing exhaustive, just 2-3 descriptive sentences, characteristic features, age/location if possible, rarity.
That's all...
Thanks
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 09:05 PM   #37
spiral

Thats cruel Ariel !

Thats like saying define tulwar, kilij, shamshir & sabre! in 53 sentances or less!

But a sirupate { means siru leaf.] is a blade that resembles a Siru leaf. [A type of reedy grass.]

A Lambendh {means long handle.} is an old long handled kukri that today collecters interpret as 5 in or more, usualy slender.

Hanshee probably comes from Hansiya meaning the Nepalese sickle. Most collecters dont use it today as the hansiya is a different tool in its own right.

But each kukri needs to be appraised on its individual merits & interpreted as such.

Often a sentance or two will define each kukri infinatly more accuratly than a "group" name.

Spiral
Old 4th February 2008, 10:19 PM   #38
ariel

I should have known....
For years I asked the PI cabal to give us a crash course on the multitude of names they so casually throw around; to no avail, of course.
Now, the Kukri-ists announce that their objects are also not definable: Sirupate = siru leaf.
Well, boys, let me tell you, down here in Michigan Siru leaves are rarer that hen's teeth. Potatoes, onions, corn.. we have those. Tomatoes from Mexico, Dole pineapples ( canned, mostly). Ladies from Kalamazoo blushed when Meijer supermarker started selling daikon. Grapes, strawberries and kiwis are all equally green and can be distinguished by their form, but not the taste.
Siru leaves..... Have you ever seen a belt without an irresistible urge to hit below it?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 08:19 PM   #39
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Now, the Kukri-ists announce that their objects are also not definable: Sirupate = siru leaf.

Well, boys, let me tell you, down here in Michigan Siru leaves are rarer that hen's teeth.

Well not in one word!

But dont be sad, all knowedge is good!

Heres a Siru leaf for you Michigan boys.......

Spiral

{photo Hijacked from Berks post at IKRHS as photobucket is down at momment.}
Old 19th April 2011, 12:51 PM   #40
Berkley

Hijacked no more - willingly imported.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 07:47 AM   #41
Tatyana Dianova

Thank you Berkley
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 09:48 AM   #42
David R

Seeing this has turned into a definite thread about steel hilts, here is mine. Fuller post elsewhere on the site.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 12:38 PM   #43
kai

Wink for future reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
here is mine. Fuller post elsewhere on the site.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23854
kai is offline   Reply With Quote