Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 7th December 2018, 08:42 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Polish Sabre?

Picked this up today near London. This was listed as a Polish Infantry Sword with embossed eagle. They had two more with essentially the same grip & pommel but the brass was more deeply covered in acanthus leaves all over. and the eagle was more distinct blades were a bit narrower and spear pointed. Mine has a 32in. blade.

I preferred the Hatchet pointed one (It was cheaper too). Not sure about this one, was thinking it was pre ww2 & post ww1. Only mark is the 789 roughly stamped on one side. (the Ossifer's ones had regimental stamps on the brass guard. The eagle is a bit worn, but does look Polish...The brass is patinated.

Thanks for any comments or more info..
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 09:00 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Are you sure it is so modern, Wayne ? .
... Or is it the brass 'polish' that is tricking me .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 09:07 AM   #3
kronckew

Not sure how old. brass is quite patinated & dull, kind of a dark tan, looks a lot lighter in the Photos, probably from a flash accessory, left side of the blade is untarnished, the right side is quite speckled with tiny black spots. Haven't found any similar googling, even googling oir site here could be earlier. The sparkly multi-coloured finger nail shaped area in one photo I am fairly certain came from an office lady taking the picture.

Always wanted a Polish Szabla as one of my Grandmother's came from Galetia, the eastern one, not the Iberian one nearer you (contamination of the old name for the celtic areas, as is Gaul, Gallic, Gaelic, etc.) which is now split with Poland & Ukraine, when she was there it was Austro-Hungarian. Her family moved there from Wien tho. (I do have a ww1-ish Austrian Sabre to cover that familial connection as well as a Prussian one for that part of me.)

Anyhow, This one was in my price range. Tho only because they held back to bid higher on the two officer ones that came after it did. The Officer one was stamped 1915 on the guard, here's what their eagle looked like:
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 8th December 2018 at 09:37 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Evgeny_K

looks like low quality replica
Evgeny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Victrix

Could it be a communist era sabre? I note that the eagle has lost its crown. Might the ”L” stand for Lietuva (Lithuania)? Just speculating...
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote