Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Rembrandt: arms and armor in his work

A couple of times over the past couple of years, there have been some references to the weaponry and items of armor that are seen in the works of Rembrandt. While not claiming any particular knowledge of art, I have always found the symbolism and possible interpretations imbued in the works of many artists fascinating. The premise for "The DaVinci Code" was in my opinion, brilliant, as it is well known that artists indeed in many cases used thier work as a vehicle for secretive devices as well as the obvious intended interpretations of thier subjects.

One of the key topics regarding Rembrandts paintings and historical accuracy has been of course the use of the keris and other exotic weapons in several of his works, The use of these unusual contexted weapons in Biblical themes has been the subject understandably of some speculations. In my opinion, Rembrandt was innovative and in degree somewhat rebellious in his work, probably due to the brisk competition among painters who were working often in the same themes. It seems that in the typical cases, painters often used older but European clothing and as required, arms, in the Biblical themed subjects. I believe that Rembrandt, who appears to have acquired a number of these exotic weapons from the regularly arriving imports with ships from the East Indies, may well have decided to use these to instill a unique texture in his version of these themes.

Among the mysteries of Rembrandt himself, has become the cases of paintings long attributed to him, now being declared 'of his school' or by one of his students rather than the master himself. One such painting is "The Man in the Golden Helmet". This venerable work has stood mysteriously through the centuries deeply influencing the imaginations of countless generations, and a certain reverence for this image of the steadfast old warrior, resplendant in his finely embellished, though older armor.

In wondering what kind of helmet or armor this was, I discovered that this was actually what appears to be in style, a 'pear stalk' type cabasset. In the only descriptions I ever have seen, the armor is described loosely as 'European light armor'. The cabasset itself was the rank and file type helmet of infantry and pikemen of the 16th century into the 17th. It would seem that the helmet in the painting has been suitably embellished with gilt high relief images, as well as what appears to be ear flaps (as seen on contemporary cavalry lobster tail helmets) and a plume. These modifications seem good examples of artistic license added to an ordinary helmet, though such decoration in armor did of course exist in many cases for those of means.

Although it is now generally held by art scholars that the painting is not Rembrandts, but of his school, I did find that among the arms in his collection there was indeed at least one cabasset. His students are believed to have been asked to render thier impressions of his work, which leads to wondering if perhaps he had either created a 'dead color' prototype of this, or had a more detailed work in progress. If indeed this was by one of his students, it would seem that he astutely picked up on Rembrandt's keen awareness and admiration of wealth and means, as well as his admiration of military standing (as seen in his self portrait with gorget).
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 01:09 AM   #2
laEspadaAncha

Hi Jim,

There is a copy of that painting in a local shop in town. Definitely carries the feel of the period, IMO, and would be right at home in any collection of antique arms and armor...

There was a thread posted last year here (along with a link to another thread from 2008) that dealt with his treatment of the keris.

In last year's thread, there was a photo of Rembrandt's house, resplendent with arms and armor:

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 02:35 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Do either of you remember that highly decorated ?Venetian? Cabasset that was featured on a very early episode of PBS' Antiques Road Show ?

It looked like the model for this rendition .

Without the ear flaps .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 03:18 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks for the comments guys!
Chris, I do recall those discussions which were pretty interesting in premise but left me wanting to find more. Thats why I got started on revisiting this topic. While A.V.B. Norman did a phenomenal work in establishing time frames and categoric typology on hilts using portraiture mostly, since these were usually portraits the weapons were typically the subjects.

In the case of these varied theme paintings, it seems there was a good degree of artistic license employed, and painters typically had collections od study objects including weapons and clothing to paint from. Apparantly they often acquired prints of other artists as well, using the material in thier own context to compose thier projects.

Thats a fantastic picture of the Rembrandt museum! From what I can understand however, most, if not all of the original collection was dispersed during his bankruptcy in 1656. There are records of this inventory, and that was the reference I mentioned for the cabasset.

Rick, I didnt see that program, but know that Italian armourers produced this type of high relief armor. They did the same on breastplates and morions in this period. Given the fact that artists often acquired other artists often earlier prints, perhaps this image was used by one of Rembrandts students for this work. It is also suggested that an imitator may have tried to duplicate Rembrandt style with this.
The ear flaps really are not characteristic for cabassets as far as I know, but again, may be license recalling the lobster tail helmets popular for cavalry in Europe at the time this was painted.
The figure also appears to be wearing what is known as a mantle rather than full breast plate, and these were of the latter 16th century, but seems to me they were usually brigandine rather than plate.

I really appreciate the input, it really is an interesting subject and reminds us of the importance of art as we study these weapons and armour.

All the best,
Jim
Old 17th February 2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Jim,
It is good that you are back writing, and it is great to read your posts on this interesting subject.
I have never seen a katar in any of Rembrandt's paintings, do you think that means they were 'invented' after he died? (JUDL).
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default A Netherlandish Matchlock Musket in Rembrandt's 'Vigil'

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for another learned post on illustrative sources of Antique A&A! Thanks a lot too for pointing out the still widely neglected fact that, according to current knowledge some analysts came up with a coupe of years ago, The Man in the Golden Helmet is not actually the master's own work but that of his school.

From my field of expertise, I wish to contribute Rembrandt's famous work Vigil, in which he satirically portrayed the honorable Amsterdam Town Guild as a bunch of disorderly guys unsuspectingly caught by the artist in 1642

Please note the characteristic long matchlock muskets, the musketeer's bandolier and the other pieces of arms & armor.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 17th February 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:21 PM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Wink Rembrandt hasn't seen this one

Hi Jim,
If you allow me, i will pick on the subsidiary topic and post here the so called "Gold cabasset of Goa", a master piece of Indo-Portuguese art.
It is indeed a repousse work in copper, covered with a thick layer of gold.
The motifs depicted are various, namely hunting scenes on horse and foot, with Europeans in rather pronounced "baloon" trousers, and a number of flowers, birds and animals, including monkeys with human faces.
It is presumed that this example was ordered by Vice-Roy Dom Diogo de Menezes. At that time Portuguese Vice-Roys fancied possessing and offering magnanimous gifts, in such extent that their excesses were forbidden by the King.
It is intriguing and not yet figured out why this cabasset arrived in Azores, being found there in the XIX century, deeply covered with pitch, naturaly with the intention to hide its gold covering. It was cleaned only in 1976. The other example known to exist, is the New York Metropolitan Museum, however in a poor condition, namely missing its gold cover and some of the buttons.
Of the same school is naturally the one in the painting you have posted in this thread opening, "The Man in the Golden Helmet", which might have been one captured by the Dutch in one of the several battles engaged in the Indic Ocean. This "Gold cabasset of Goa", was auctioned in Lisbon in 1989 for a non published price. I beleive it now belongs in the collection of Rainer Daehnhardt.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:31 PM   #8
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
... Please note the characteristic long matchlock muskets, the musketeer's bandolier and the other pieces of arms & armor...
Ah, you missed a close up of the guy with the beautiful partizan, Michl .
Old 18th February 2011, 12:23 AM   #9
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi 'Nando, my dear friend,

Guess my editings and your post overlapped here! Just in case I'm wrong, please do post the missing image, OK?

With all my very best wishes,
Michl der Bayer
Old 18th February 2011, 03:45 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Jens! LOL, on the katar note now that would be some REALLY interesting evidence in that quest!!!

Michael, thank you so much for adding the so called 'Night Watch', and of course this truly is your field, art and weapons. I always look forward to your pointing out key points in the weapons portrayed.
In reading on this painting, it was interesting to find that the event was apparantly actually in daylight, but darkened with age and eventually given the 'night watch' moniker. It seems like these militia groups were pretty much like mens clubs, and there are apparantly a number of other similar themed paintings by some of Rembrandts contemporaries, of these units, I saw I think two others in A.V.B. Normans book.

Do you agree that these kinds of paintings would likely have been using the mens own weapons, as in portraits, rather than studio props?

Fernando, thank you so much for adding this cabasset, and that does seem like a good possibility as well. The scenario of the one you describe being covered in black pitch of course brings to mind the famed "Maltese Falcon" of classic movies, the gold bird painted black. This does present possibilities of course for this very ornate helmet (or one of its type) having been captured by the Dutch, and perhaps whichever individual in Rembrandts circle who painted this may have seen the gold one, and painted from there. Again, possibly a 'dead color' prototype (a formatted image without coloring) might have been embellished with this gold helmet rather than the simple cabasset which was probably in Rembrandt's collection.

It does reveal that these highly decorated and gold colored, if not gold itself, helmets were certainly around even if in limited number.

All best wishes,
Jim
Old 18th February 2011, 12:38 PM   #11
fernando

Default Great partizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi 'Nando, my dear friend,

Guess my editings and your post overlapped here! Just in case I'm wrong, please do post the missing image, OK?

With all my very best wishes,
Michl der Bayer
Attached Images

Old 18th February 2011, 04:47 PM   #12
cornelistromp

herewith my Dutch contribution, a dutch musket and of course a Rembrandt
from my collection.
Best,
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 18th February 2011 at 04:59 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Matchlock
(deceased)

Thank you, 'Nando - now I know what I failed to post.

Thank you also, Jasper, for posting that fine sample of a 1630's Netherlandish matchlock musket!

Best,
Michael