Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th November 2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Clubs & Arrows

Question Questions about a Moro Kris

Hello.
I just picked this up in a trade, because it was different than what I normally run across as far as Moro swords go, but I am certainly no expert on these blades. I was wondering if this sword is right, if it is ceremonial, or if it a souvenir item. The length is roughly 26" overall. The Cockatoo pommel appears to a metal (feels hollow), and the bands around the the handle might be the same material. I'm pretty sure that the woven wire is silver, but the rest, I'm not sure about. The blade is pretty sharp, and has a repeated pattern down both sides. Any help/opinions with this would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Joe
Attached Images

Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 08:00 PM   #2
kai

Hello Joe,

That's a genuine Moro kris from Mindanao; the hilt makes me think it may be Maranao. The wirework looks like silver, indeed, and I guess the metal sheet is silver-plated brass. The pommel may be a bit loose and/or its core may have shrunk a bit.

Heavily engraved blades tend to be later and this is also supported by the lesser quality of the scrollwork at the gangya area. Most of these blades don't have a seperate gangya and I believe this example also has an integral gangya. While there are a few blades of the latter style from the late 19th c., this one is IMHO from the 20th c. and I'd estimate it to date from 1920-1940. Same-o for the hilt which seems to be original to the blade.

This kris most likely was primarily a status piece (datu or affluent member of the Moro society) but still be useable as a weapon. AFAIK these were crafted for local use but I'm not sure wether some of these swords may have found a short-cut into some US soldier's collection (during the later years of the US occupation trade/presentation was a more likely source than battlefield pick-ups).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 03:03 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I will disagree with Kai just a little. I think this is from the tribe next door, the Maguindanao, whose okir is nearly identical to the Maranao. I base this on the okir used, the shape of the mouth of the ganga that is round, and the use of silver woven bands.

However, I think he is "spot on" with the dating of the blade and his analysis of the amount of okir on the blade used, and the missing ganga line.

Both tribes used this type of okir, silver and gold plated metals, and coming from Mindanao.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Clubs & Arrows

Hello Kai and Battara,
Thank you very much for the information about the blade. Since I usually just collect Oceanic pieces, I basically picked it up because it was different than the standard Kris types that I usually see. It's always good to find out a little region info and history as well.

Thanks again,
Joe
Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote