Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th March 2015, 01:41 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default Mystery knife

I have always thought this was Indian , but made for or owned by a European as a hunting knife, and possibly of 19th century origin but I would welcome the views of members . Overall length 14 inches , blade length 9 inches , max blade width 1.7 inches. Very sturdy blade and wooden chequered handle. The name ( presumably of the owner ) T.S. Rendall is on the blade.
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 03:44 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Thinreadline, While I cannot be of any actual help to you on the identification of this knife I have done a little work on your last photo to hopefully show the detailing of the hilt a little better for someone who can.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 09:59 AM   #3
thinreadline

Thanks for that Robert, what a difference, cheers.
Old 8th March 2015, 01:58 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Hi thinreadline,

I think you are probably spot on with your assessment. I believe also bowie-type hunting knives were made in India in the Raj period, for use by colonials...
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 05:15 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

I do not collect knives or swords anymore but I like to keep my hand in the game to some degree. This is quite informative, taken from "The London Knife Book, an A-Z guide to London Cutlers 1820-1945, by Ron Flook, Pub 2008 Antique Knives Ltd" The engraving on the guard of the picture I post, is of very similar style, perhaps a little finer with fancy scabbard. I would expect this from a retailer like Mappin & Web. Many London knife manufacturers were making this style of knife of various qualities. As the text for the knife says made for colonial export. I think your knife is UK made.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 11:21 PM   #6
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I do not collect knives or swords anymore but I like to keep my hand in the game to some degree. This is quite informative, taken from "The London Knife Book, an A-Z guide to London Cutlers 1820-1945, by Ron Flook, Pub 2008 Antique Knives Ltd" The engraving on the guard of the picture I post, is of very similar style, perhaps a little finer with fancy scabbard. I would expect this from a retailer like Mappin & Web. Many London knife manufacturers were making this style of knife of various qualities. As the text for the knife says made for colonial export. I think your knife is UK made.
Thanks for that .
Old 9th March 2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

This 33min video of CA Butterfield & Butterfield collection of knives {Bowie}, is rather amusing and lightly informative. These should be considered acceptable as ethnographic as they are not made as state military arms. Also a pic of one I bought a month or so back for camping. Which is really a little too heavy for my needs. Made in Pakistan, superb quality for your money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDLPTAGw-k
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 9th March 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote