Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th November 2007, 02:35 PM   #1
D Wilke

Default Cotobatu "Antiques" Shop Philippines

Hello all,
As I spend the next 8 months here in beautiful Central Mindanao, I figured it was time to get my butt back in gear and start posting. After a short conversation about my interest in swords with my co-worker here, he offered to take me to an Antique Shop "the best one in town". Like a kid on his way to the candy store I was excited and then disappointed. As the pictures following show, it was mostly modern (but VERY well done) pieces that were meant as presentation items. The store owners knew nothing about what they had or didn't have, but they did have an eye for "old" and priced it accordingly. I posted some HUGE gunongs on Steve's thread and here's a few more of the shop.

There was one find - continue below.

Dan
Attached Images

D Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 02:48 PM   #2
D Wilke

Default One nice Kris

As I said there was one nice find, this Kris below. After a little scraping we determined that it did have a separate ganga. Why the previous owner had the fretting wrapped in silver I'll never know, but it would have shown nicely in the accompanying scabbard once polished (not original but with substantial age and a very dark hardwood) the blade was inlaid in silver and copper (some missing -not too much) fantastic heavy asang-asang and wonderful rattan wrap. Pommel had been replaced but a very long time ago still on the small side not the monsters you see today with the huge crest. Completely solid throughout and priced to move at only 37,950P ($880). Best guess on the blade (following the indentation of the overlaid silver sheeting) is Maguindanao.
Attached Images

Old 13th November 2007, 02:52 PM   #3
D Wilke

Default And one for you Artillery fans

The two lantaka below were just beautiful. As I know next to nothing about them I won't say anymore. Make a wonderful living room centerpiece I'm thinking
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2007, 01:52 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Lots of recent stuff there - the lantaka as well....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 11:24 AM   #5
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default No kidding

That's because you and Ron and Ian and the rest of us have bought it all up already

You'd think it would be easier to find down here and cheaper -no deal just like Jolo tough to find and EXPENSIVE

How've you been anyway, been away for over a year but I see most of the cast of cut-throats are still around along with some great reading - I'll never catch up.
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking GI Special

Hi Dan ,
Did you ever move your collection out of Japan ?
I remember you said you were concerned about a possible change in the laws there .

I'll save a nice kris for you when you get back on American soil .
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 04:47 AM   #7
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Boxed up

Rick, Never got it shipped but I have it all boxed up and locked away from prying eyes -unfortunately I can't enjoy it either now, but it beats losing the entire collection to the suddenly stringent Japanese customs officials. We had an arrangement before that as long as I didn't take them off post (why would I) that I could keep them, that all changed when they threw a buddy of mine in jail for three months cause he had an old Thai flintlock (non-functional) and a homemade shotgun (from PVC pipe) that he had brought back from Thailand. Apparently some Japanese kid playing in his house saw them and mentioned them to Dad and the next thing you know the Japanese SWAT team descended on his house (not kidding about that part either).

I have everything shipped to my brother's in CT now - he's enjoying it greatly - course those pieces might be hard to pry away from him now - he's especially fond of the Dha he bought me for my birthday from Mark. You'd think he'd be happy with all the antigue guns he has - the greedy little

Good to be back I'm hoping this time to get up to Marawi and see the Islamic museum they have up there. Might even shoot Bob Timonera a line and see if he's still around.

Good to be back on-line with y'all

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 03:46 PM   #8
tagalanao

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
Good to be back I'm hoping this time to get up to Marawi and see the Islamic museum they have up there. Might even shoot Bob Timonera a line and see if he's still around.
Hey Dan,

Suddenly I'm here. Thanks Jon for the information.

Eniweys, if you'll be somewhere near, I'm sure you'll be talking to Col. Javier, the local brigade commander. (I see some of your men here going inside groceries and hardware stores.) He's got my number. Or shoot me an email at bob at timonera dot com.

Ciao!

Bob
tagalanao is offline   Reply With Quote