Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th March 2019, 07:00 PM   #1
M ELEY

Default A 17th century cutlass

Here we have a 17th century (c.1660-90) hanger/cutlass, possibly Dutch, dating to around the time of the Buccaneers. See this great article posted by Jasper and note the cutlass listed from Neumann's guide very similar to mine-

http://benersonlittle.blog/2016/12/3...-what-we-know/
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 26th March 2019 at 09:41 PM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2019, 07:19 PM   #2
M ELEY

Default Pics to follow

The hilt on this cutlass is open with no shells or attached plates (think Walloon types) with a bow for the knuckles and counter bow for the back of the hand. A thumb ring helps balance the swing of the piece. Copper wire wrapped grip, spherical pommel with knuckle bow latched into it. The (ahem ) two balled bow/bar are of the early pattern, distinct and spaced. The blade nicely balanced with false back edge and decorated with a Roman head in profile with foliage.
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2019, 07:23 PM   #3
M ELEY

Default More pics...

Blade measures 28.5"

Any opinions as to origin? Dutch? Germanic? East European? Does the Roman head design give anyone a clue? Thanks in advance-
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2019, 07:35 PM   #4
M ELEY

Default Details of profile head

A close-up...

Wait a minute! I know who it is!! A famous pirate!
Attached Images

Old 28th March 2019, 03:51 PM   #5
MForde

That's fantastic. So much history in the hand!
MForde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MForde
That's fantastic. So much history in the hand!

Absolutely!!!! and especially GOOD hands in the case of Cap'n Mark!!! whose writing is 'living history' !
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2019, 04:09 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Mark
I have been kinda waiting to see if Jasper would respond as I think this sabre is likely from his neck of the woods, that is it is probably Dutch or German and seems of course 18th century. To me the thumb ring signals those origins as that feature was much favored by them.
The hilt itself is in the form with the cross over hand guard bar which seems widely used in these regions on arming swords and hangers out of the 'walloon' groups.

It seems that of course, these kinds of swords would easily find their way into maritime situations as the Low Countries were prime suppliers of weaponry internationally. They were the export ports for blades from Solingen, as well as swords which were assembled in those regions. With the extensive trade networks and shipping these kinds of swords were likely among goods captured by privateers and pirates.

The blade character itself and especially the 'Roman' figure (Caesar ?) in inscribed motif seems of the neoclassic themes of the 18th century which appeared on material culture as well as blades.

I think perhaps the Neumann book might have similar examples (still trying to find and excavate my copy here in the bookmobile!).

While we cannot be sure if this is a maritime context weapon, the term cutlass is of course extremely loosely used in many cases of description implying that situation. It is like the dreaded 'name game' in ethnographic arms where terms for sword types are often completely confusing in studying them.

In any case, fascinating 18th century sword (always loved the thumb rings) which looks like it has great stories to tell us!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote