Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2010, 01:08 AM   #1
stephen wood

Default Interesting Takouba

Has anyone ever seen a Takouba with such a point? - they are usually rounded off.

The blade is long for a Takouba - 35 1/2". I think it is a "Southern" type and appears quite old...
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 02:52 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This does seem like a southern type, and the brass coverings have been lost, and very timely post (see 'My Haladie' thread) as we are discussing the 'cross pollination' of kaskara and takouba in singular cases. As you have noted, the rounded tip is characteristic for takouba blades, very much in accord with Omani kattara type blades, which incidentally often seem to have strong association with these North African broadsword blades.
This unusually long blade with 'spear point' seems lilkely to be a blade of the form typically mounted in kaskara, however, as noted in the haladie thread, there is evidence that these blades moved westward with nomadic traffic or trade in apparantly limited number.

I received my newsletter from the Arms and Armour Society, and look forward to hearing more on your presentation on the kaskara, and wish you all the best. It is quite an honor to be addressing this most esteemed society, and I am probably not alone in wishing I could attend.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Iain

Hi Stephen,

That's a quite old 19th century takouba in the southern style. Two similar ones can be seen in the Museum of Natural History collections:

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...%20%20126%20AB

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/...%20%20127%20AB

Both examples have a Nigerian attribution. Given the recent discussions Jim noted about the cross influences of kaskara and takouba in Hausa areas I would think it fairly safe to say yours could be from these northern Nigeria regions.

I would not assume that yours had brass plates, as you can see in one example I posted it appears that rivets hold the leather in place on the guard.

Can I ask if the sword is in your personal collection? I would look forward to seeing detailed shots of the fullers, half moons (I assume they are present?) etc if you could post such details.

Best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 01:12 AM   #4
stephen wood

...no, I don't have it yet but as far as I can see there are no markings on the blade.

Of interest - the Hausa word for "sword" is said to be "takobi" (singular) "takoba" (plural). The Nouba word for the same is "fareynga".

Many thanks for your encouragement.
Old 17th July 2010, 04:20 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wood
...no, I don't have it yet but as far as I can see there are no markings on the blade.

Of interest - the Hausa word for "sword" is said to be "takobi" (singular) "takoba" (plural). The Nouba word for the same is "fareynga".

Many thanks for your encouragement.

Interesting to see that the term 'takouba' from the tamasheq language of the Tuareg is also in the Hausa language as noted. It seems the 'Kano' dialect is the most commonly used Hausa dialect and also used with Fulani....I dont believe the term takouba is used in Fulani, at least not from what I have learned from Fulani speakers.

Also interesting to see the term 'fareynga' for sword in the Nuba language, apparantly this term, seems remarkably close to the familiar 'firangi' which is known in western regions in India as referring to a 'foreign' blade. The term itself seems with Persian root that evolved into use in Arab and other languages, with that general meaning, and often applied to swords.

Terminology of weapons is always an adventure, and has been to topic of lots of discussions through the years. Im certainly no linguist, but have learned a lot from those who sometimes post here who are.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:55 AM   #6
stephen wood

...yes, a foreign blade locally hilted.

This photo appears to show a "Southern" type Takouba but is not from the region one might expect and the two "Southern" types discussed here Etude de 2 Takouba are old and are also from Algeria.
Attached Images

Last edited by stephen wood; 17th July 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 18th July 2010, 02:27 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wood
...yes, a foreign blade locally hilted.

This photo appears to show a "Southern" type Takouba but is not from the region one might expect and the two "Southern" types discussed here Etude de 2 Takouba are old and are also from Algeria.

Thank you for linking the excellent work of Louis-Pierre Cavaille!!!
He really did some outstanding research and well presented.
Old 21st July 2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Iain

Yes, takouba are not unknown in Algeria. The range of Tuareg and other nomadic tribes stretched through these areas as well.

The globular pommels are indicative of early pieces (although other variations are documented from turn of the century at least).

The other two Algerian pieces you linked were posted first on one of the older incarnations of this forum if I remember correctly. With established dating of 1830 I consider them very important examples.

I am still quite interested to see more details of the takouba you posted when you have a chance to make additional photos.

All the best,

Iain
Old 7th September 2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Iain

I wanted to revive this thread to ask Stephen if you received this sword? I'd still be interested to see better photos especially of any blade markings...

Best,

Iain
Old 8th September 2010, 01:17 PM   #10
stephen wood

...it should arrive soon Iain - when it does I'll post more pictures.