Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th December 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
blindside

Default writing on a sansibar hilt

I was cleaning the hilt on this beat up old sansibar and it accentuated some writing on the hilt. I am curious if anyone can interpret what it means. I am showing two of the three lines, the third face is so hard to discern that I can't make much out even in the best of light. I am showing two versions one is under normal light, the second is my attempts to enhance the writing to make it more distinct.

Even if nobody can make heads or tails of this, is this sort of thing common or uncommon? Once again, thanks in advance.
Attached Images

blindside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am wondering where the 'Zanzibar' designation comes from on this.
The wood hilt is quite unusual and the blade seems to recall some of the heavier 'flyssa' type sabres from Algerian Berber regions in 20th c.
Not sure on the writing which hopefull our linguists might recognize.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 11:36 PM   #3
migueldiaz

hello. that looks like a luzon tabak (war sword). similar examples are below. as for the engraving, the repetition of the words/abbreviations makes it a good candidate for an anting-anting incantation, which is usually rendered in pig latin. thanks for sharing the pics!
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 02:24 AM   #4
blindside

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
hello. that looks like a luzon tabak (war sword). similar examples are below. as for the engraving, the repetition of the words/abbreviations makes it a good candidate for an anting-anting incantation, which is usually rendered in pig latin. thanks for sharing the pics!
I was thinking possibility of it being an anting-anting as well. The partial remains of the scabbard has what may be a Sacred Heart on it, I will see if I can get a decent picture of it.

My naming of the blade comes from martial arts references (which I am perfectly sure aren't always accurate) regarding the common blade term, it is entirely possible I am off a region or dialect. I have frequently seen (and heard) references to the Sansibar, and I thought it was based off of blade shape, and that the term was common to the eastern Visayas. Speaking of which, I have also seen this type of blade (and that tabak) called a "matulis."
Old 14th December 2011, 02:32 AM   #5
migueldiaz

Thanks. Here are some sample anting-anting imageries & scripts, coming from this book. I'll also look for heart-shaped images.
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 05:08 AM   #6
blindside

Here is the image from the scabbard:
Attached Images