Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 18th October 2012, 11:19 PM   #31
A. G. Maisey

Further to execution by keris.

In the Ying-yai Sheng-lan, Ma Huan gives a description of the summary execution of thieves in 15th century Jawa. They were stabbed with the keris between the floating ribs and in the small of the back.

The long keris down past the collar-bone is very colourful, and undoubtedly did occur, but in Jawa and Bali a good old-fashioned shiv into the chest seems to have been a lot more popular.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 12:12 AM   #32
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Further to execution by keris.

In the Ying-yai Sheng-lan, Ma Huan gives a description of the summary execution of thieves in 15th century Jawa. They were stabbed with the keris between the floating ribs and in the small of the back.

The long keris down past the collar-bone is very colourful, and undoubtedly did occur, but in Jawa and Bali a good old-fashioned shiv into the chest seems to have been a lot more popular.
Alan, do you know where the panjang originated? I think the majority of this type of keris i've seen are Sumatran. I believe that i recall you mentioning having a Javanese version of this form, but is it possible that this longer blade form originated in Sumatera? Is it possible that the collar bone method might be more common in there than in Jawa?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 12:32 AM   #33
A. G. Maisey

David, I do not know, as in know for a fact with evidence to back an argument, however, most examples of the long keris form that I have seen have been attributable to Sumatera, some possibly to the Peninsula.

I bought my first Javanese one maybe 40 years ago, and that had a very old, flimsy blade in it. Since then I've acquired other Javanese ones that look like 19th or early 20th century ones, and my impression is that they were probably a fad, because they do not fulfil any social function that I know of, in Jawa.

I also have now, and have had in the past, a number of long keris that are not Javanese and can be attributed to the Peninsula or Sumatera. I think it is probably beyond question that they were originated by Malay nobles.

I've heard or read various theories for their existence, from the execution one to imitation of Portugese rapiers. My personal opinion is that they were a symbol of authority or rank.

However, as you know, I'm not very strong on things that fall outside the core culture. The minor keris cultures are a field of study unto themselves.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote