Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th February 2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Matt Easton

Default Tulwar stamped blade mark question

Hi folks,
I come across quite a lot of tulwars here in the UK and many of them have blade markings which I would like to understand a bit more about.

For example, some better quality blades seem to have a sort of stamped design or maker's mark in the forte of the blade, often under one of the langets - is there somewhere I could learn more about these? Are any by known makers or centres of manufacture?

Secondly, some blades have engraved crosses or other marks on them, which some people claim are 'kill' scores - is there any truth to this?

Lastly, what do you make of these stamps attached? They seem to be like a cross between the stamped makers' marks and the incised crosses you sometimes see.

Thanks,
Matt
Attached Images

Matt Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

It's a rule on the forum that you have to show the whole weapon, or you will not get any answers.
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Matt Easton

An official rule? I'm not really asking specifically about this tulwar, but rather tulwars in general, but anyway, here is the rest of that sword
Attached Images

Old 20th February 2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you.
I have heard about the 'killing marks', but I more than doubt it. If you read the old Indian history, about all the battles and about how many people were killed, a lot of the swords would have nothing but killing marks all over.
Many different markings are used on Indian weapons, some are no doubt smith markings, others, like some of the dot marks. are from the Bikaner armoury. A lot of the marks are copies of European markings, like the 'eyelashes' copying Genovean blade marks, and the Orb and cross, the EIC stamp and a lot of others. To prove to a potential buyer that the blade was 'European' and of a good quality.
Jens
Old 20th February 2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Matt Easton

Thanks.
Yes I have doubted the 'killing marks' explanation for those crosses as well. Though if they aren't that, I wonder what they are?
I have come across Indo-Persian sources talking about testing swords by cutting clay, wet felt and other things. I rather wonder if they are a bit like 'proved' stamps on European swords - to show the number of *somethings* that they have cut through in testing (like Japanese swords also). It seems more plausible than the 'killing marks' theory .
I'm also interested to know where I can find anything more about Indian sword maker stamps. I have a British officer's sword with an Indian-made blade, dating to around 1810-1820 according to the style of the hilt, that has what I believed to be an Indian maker's mark under one of the langets.

Regards,
Matt
Old 20th February 2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Matt,
I dont know what the crosses are supposed to represent, maybe copies from some European manufactor - I really dont know. I too have blades with crosses.
In one of my many books I read, that the young Hindus trained their cutting skill on a block of wett clay, so that they would not blamish their family, when they had to cut the head of an ox to sacrifice it.
I do think, but I dont know, if you could test a blade by cutting into a clay block, but I would rather think you could train you blowing force by doing so. I think, testing a blade would be something quite different, that hacking in wett clay, you would hack on metal to see if the edge was good, and if the blade breaked.
Jens

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 20th February 2014 at 06:16 PM.