Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th September 2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Mid 20th cent Saka knife?

Just arrived today. As lew has mentioned, smelling of wood smoke. Presumably straight from the sellers runner, collected for the trade, not that that is a bad thing. The red disc on the handle is plastic/polythene which dates it as absolutely no earlier than 1933. I have cleaned the blade and for the money I think looks not half bad. The blade is a thin lazy "S" section with a slight midrib. The handle is a little wormy.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 14th September 2006 at 02:07 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 06:55 PM   #2
Freddy

Thumbs up

Very nice, Tim.

Be sure to treat the handle against woodwurm. It would be a shame if it infects your entire collection.

I don't mind the plastic addition. I could be that the owner wanted to 'embellish' his knife with a foreign product. Perhaps to give it more power. This is frequently seen on African fetishes.

You mention that the piece smells of wood smoke. With African artifacts you have to be careful with this. A gallery owner once told me that a lot of new 'old artifacts' are given this smell to make them authentic. So be aware when you buy something which 'smells'.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I agree with the caution about wood smoke smells. I am not worried about this piece and I like the plastic disc, I can imagine an object like that could look pretty far out to an isolated village boy. You are putting the wind up about wood worm I will get down to the DIY store tomorrow. It is Saka? or near folk.
Old 14th September 2006, 07:52 PM   #4
Freddy

I think you're right with Saka. The Kusu and Tetela have similar shaped knives, but the blades are more slender.

When I have an object that has active woodwurm, I put it into the refrigerator for a month or so. That also kills the bug . But this is only possible with small objects.

As to plastic on African items. Look at this Luba axe. The red circles are, in my opinion, plastic (?) rings used by a plumber.

Old 14th September 2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Wife. Put it in the refrigerator? No No No
Old 14th September 2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Freddy

Cool

You have to bring it to her very gently. They get used to it
Old 15th September 2006, 05:13 AM   #7
fearn

Hey,

About killing bugs in the refrigerator, I've got a bit of advice:

PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER!

This is what we do with plant samples, especially in the summer. Thing is, a refrigerator is 36 deg. F (~2 deg C), where as a freezer is 32 deg F/0 deg. C.

Many insects in the temperate areas have no trouble surviving a fridge. I've seen bugs hatch out of samples that were stored in a fridge for *four years* (okay, they were soil samples, but you get the point).

If you want to rid a sample of bugs, take it from a warm storage area, and throw it in the freezer (or colder) for at least a week (if you can afford a -80 oC freezer, use that overnight. Liquid nitrogen baths work well too ). The trick is the sudden temperature change, followed by the prolonged ice treatment.

As to dealing with spouses, it's always worth pointing out that it's easier (and cheaper) to put the axe in the freezer and kill the bugs, than it is to put all the furniture in the freezer after an infestation starts. Throwing that worm-eaten knife out will just infect the neighborhood, so the only choice is to freeze it and kill the bugs.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 07:36 AM   #8
Freddy

Arrow

Hi Fearn,

That's what I meant : the freezer. I must have explained it badly. I always pack the item in a plastic bag and tag it. So I know when to take it out.
Old 15th September 2006, 08:00 PM   #9
katana

Hi Tim,
its highly likely that the woodworm is long gone, the holes are where the larvae have borrowed out, emerging as adults (beetles). However, if there are 'saw dust' deposits then the grubs are resident/active. The freezer idea seems a good one....to be on the safe side. At least it will save using harsh chemicals....that would probably affect the colour/appearance of the handle.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 08:06 PM   #10
Mapico1

Default quickest way

microwave 1-2 minutes all splashed
Mapico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 09:22 PM   #11
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapico1
microwave 1-2 minutes all splashed
My recipe book says that woodworm is best cooked...boiled ...with a little salt and pepper....

Be prepared for lots of sparks if you put a metal blade in the microwave...and alot more 'sparks' when the wife finds out you've blown up her 'precious' microwave cooker....
katana is offline   Reply With Quote