Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th March 2013, 10:39 PM   #1
DaveA

Question Canary Islands Naife

Hello All,

I recently acquired this knife, identified by the seller simply as North African, late 19th to early 20th C. The leaf shaped blade is 5 ¼ inches in length and is decorated with a punched-style floral pattern. The multilayer hilt is the really spectacular part. It is very tight and in excellent condition. Overall, the knife is 10 inches. The scabbard is leather and all stitching intact.

Based on the following thread from 2009, I provisionally identify it as originating in the Canary Islands.
Interesting Spanish Canary Islands ...

Or maybe it is from somewhere else?

Your wise commentary, forumites?

Thank you.

Dave A.
Attached Images

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Dave,
If you consulted the thread you mention, you should have no doubts that yours is a traditional Canary Island knife ... most certainly 20th century, i would say.
And if you use the search button typing Canary knife, for one, you shalll find more material.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 02:23 PM   #3
DaveA

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Dave,
If you consulted the thread you mention, you should have no doubts that yours is a traditional Canary Island knife ... most certainly 20th century, i would say.
And if you use the search button typing Canary knife, for one, you shalll find more material.
Since I am by profession a scientist, I believe there is always room for doubt. You are right, however, that I had very little!
Old 13th March 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Oh, i just dared to be precise because this is the type of knife which is has an unequivocal and only provenance, contrary to many other items.
I have had one myself some time ago and went through an accountless number of articles that there are out there in the Web about these naifas.
BTW, i will PM you about some other item.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
DaveA

Default Varieties of Canary Islands Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Oh, i just dared to be precise because this is the type of knife which is has an unequivocal and only provenance, contrary to many other items.
I have had one myself some time ago and went through an accountless number of articles that there are out there in the Web about these naifas.
BTW, i will PM you about some other item.
Now that I know what it is, I am discovering all the info on the web. I was interested to learn about the varieties of Canary knives from this article:

http://armasblancas.mforos.com/933156/5569293-naifes/

Dave