Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2008, 10:12 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Axe lost on e-bay

mostly just venting, i put in a bid on this axe:

item no. 280269620965, which was 20% higher than the 'winning' bid. i did not get it.

it looks like a nice axe, i'll never see another like it at the price. looks much like one shown in a recent posts photo here (that one was decorated in gold tho)

why did i lose out?

e-bay has just instituted a policy of your having to prove you are over 18 on each bid for an item they class as a dangerous weapon. i was not informed of this till after the auction, so i lost. i am only 61.

apparently you can register a credit or debit card to prove you are over 18. if you use one of their two acceptable ones that is. my drivers license, bus pass, passport, birth certificate, bank account debit card, paypal account and many years of buying antique arms via ebay is not acceptable.

looks like i won't be allowed to buy via ebay anymore. any other on-line auctions i could frequent?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

You have got to be joking!!! When did they come up with this bright idea? Is this an ebay UK thing or is it everywhere? Do you know what cards they accept as proof of age?

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 29th September 2008 at 12:50 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 12:14 AM   #3
katana

Hi Kronckew,
I too lost out on an auction, I put a bid in (manually) with 12 seconds to go....but instead of the confirmation screen...I got a paragraph about buying weapons...so by the time I went onto the next screen ( which is now the confirmation page).....the auction had ended. Lost a 'sleeper'

To say I was unhappy, would have been the understatement of the year

I TRULY SYMPATHISE

Regards David

As to the credit card fiasco, I contacted eBay and was told either give the credit card details...or amass good feedback.....strange I have well over 500 feedback at 100% ...
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 01:28 AM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

I had the same problem last week but added the required info as they requested. Seems to be UK items only.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 06:22 AM   #5
kronckew

they only accept visa or mastercard, which i do not have or want to get.

i also have 224 x 100% good feedback. i could maybe see some sense in ebay insisting i send a scan of my id to the seller, but this looks like a badly executed attempt to CYA. surely it's the seller who should check age if any. also seems silly that it appears i can sell stuff, just not buy it. when did a visa/mastercard become proof of age? and if so why do i (if i had one) need my bus pass and/or photo drivers license, or my PM's upcoming national id card for that matter? arghhh!

ed: just found i can apply on-line for a visa top-up card from, (guess who?*). i may be cynical, but as they are owned by (again guess who?**) i am assuming this is a ploy to help sell the card (costs £5 - approx $10). you only need to be 16 to get it tho, makes mock of using it to prove you are 18...

* - paypal
**- ebay

Last edited by kronckew; 29th September 2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 29th September 2008, 03:58 PM   #6
ariel

Boys, instead od fuming accept it as a compliment!
I recently ordered a beer at a local bar and a baby-faced bartender (ess) asked to see my driver's license to prove I was over 18 years old. I almost kissed the kid!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Boys, instead od fuming accept it as a compliment!
I recently ordered a beer at a local bar and a baby-faced bartender (ess) asked to see my driver's license to prove I was over 18 years old. I almost kissed the kid!

Ariel

I can see how the bartender could mistake you for a 17year old it must be that boyish charm of yours.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 06:45 PM   #8
kronckew

i thought it was cute years ago when i was home on leave & got carded at a bar i went to with my mom and sister, my sister was annoyed that she didn't get carded and was 5 years younger than me. 35 years on it's not so funny when no one is willing to use common sense and must 'follow the rules' no matter what in order to cover their butts.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:01 PM   #9
Bill M

I think that bartender (esses) do this to get bigger tips. It SURE does work with me!

But back to the original topic about eBay and these blocked bids. I just bid on a sword on eBay. I got a notice that stated

"Dear Bidder / Buyer

If you are bidding on or buying a knife, please note that by law this product cannot be sold to anyone under 18. By clicking on the "confirm bid" or "confirm payment" button below, you are confirming that you are the age required to purchase this product. For further details, please see our Weapons and Knives policy.

{e18567-601261x}"

This was a direct bid, not using a sniper. It seemed to go through, but I a concerned that IF I use a sniper, it may not work unless I have somehow "registered with my Visa card."

Anyone know how eBay wants this registration done?
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

I e-mailed ebay as soon as I heard of this and as of now have still heard nothing back from them. I will post as soon as I do. I just bid on an item using a sniper and the bid went through with no problem.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:23 PM   #11
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
I e-mailed ebay as soon as I heard of this and as of now have still heard nothing back from them. I will post as soon as I do. I just bid on an item using a sniper and the bid went through with no problem.

Robert,

The answer may be that I have a Visa credit card on file with eBay. They asked for this when I sold some things in auctions. Mine is with eBay US though, not eBay UK, but maybe they know each other.

Do you have a card on file?

Sounds like Wayne and David did not.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:30 PM   #12
Robert
EAAF Staff

Bill,
The only card I have on file is with paypal.

Robert
Old 30th September 2008, 06:55 AM   #13
kronckew

ditto, robert.

when you click the link to register a credit card you get their sellers page for registering a credit card to pay ebay fees, and set up a sellers account. sounds scammy to me, but that's ebay. i was gonna set up a sellers account to sell some 2006 world cup memorabilia for a friend, so i'll try that when my new shiny visa prepay paypal card comes thru...

i got a response from ebay, basically says, we've made some arbitrary changes without consulting anyone so click the link and follow the instructions and tough if you ain't got no credit card, you can't buy any sharp pointy shiney things, even if they are legal - my wife says you shouldn't want to buy sharp things anyway, why, you could poke somebodies eye out with one of those things, they should be banned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmorethanmyjobsworthtoquestionthePTB
>From September, we have made some changes to our policies
on buying and selling knives on eBay. Buyers must have a credit card on file with us
in order to purchase a knife on eBay.co.uk. If you don't have a credit
card on file then we'll ask you to enter your card details when you
place your bid or use Buy It Now. This is for verification only and you
won't be charged.

For more details about the improved security for the sale of knives on
eBay please go through the link given below:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/200808281357112.html

Furthermore, for your reference, here's how to place a credit card on
file:

1. Click "site map" at the top of the eBay homepage.
2. Click "Place or Update Credit Card on File" under "Selling" and sign
in.
3. Enter your information on our secure form.
4. Click "Continue".

I trust this information helps you. Please let us know if we can be of
any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Dashwood
eBay Customer Support

The whole world can talk for free! Find out more at www.skype.com
so, to be a buyer, you need to be a seller so they can deduct 'fees' from your account by direct debit when they feel like it, like when they need some ready cash to make payment on their ferrari. from the siggy line in jonathan's missive, we can expect we'll need to have a skype account set up next. (p.s.- skype ain't free if you want to talk to someone with a real phone, so you'll need to register a credit card there too i guess)
Old 4th October 2008, 10:22 AM   #14
kronckew

just to see how far their silly game goes, i applied for paypals pre-pay visa card, it arrived, i've registered it as my credit card, and was able to bid on an item. i can bid again.

the fun bit being that you can apply for a pre-pay card at 16 which makes a mockery of their reasoning that it's needed to prove you are 18. i think it's a scam of some sort... i've loaded £10 on it, they took £4.95 for their 'fee', and i've got £5.05 left to buy whatever i want. i think i'll frame it and use it to buy the real excaliber when it's found, can't be more than that balance. ebay

anyhow, bidding on a weapon still brings up a confirmation screen, wonder if my sniper software will handle it.
Old 4th October 2008, 06:11 PM   #15
pallas

this seems to be only an ebay uk thing.

its never happened to me. (USA)
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 03:32 AM   #16
Bill M

Just checking. Made a bid on this, online. It went through. So set a sniper bid for later and it worked also. Guess I am ok with ebay UK.

Hope this is an interesting piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old 6th October 2008, 06:48 AM   #17
kronckew

yup,

now that i've registered a credit card and thus can prove i'm over 16, even my sniper is working again. that hembrug is of course the modification the japanese made to captured original dutch klewangs by shortening it and cutting away the handguard. i understand they modified about 1500 for their NCO's, the full one we've discussed here before, like mine:

unfortunately, i didn't win any of the items i sniped
Old 7th October 2008, 12:15 AM   #18
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
yup,

now that i've registered a credit card and thus can prove i'm over 16, even my sniper is working again. that hembrug is of course the modification the japanese made to captured original dutch klewangs by shortening it and cutting away the handguard. i understand they modified about 1500 for their NCO's, the full one we've discussed here before, like mine:

unfortunately, i didn't win any of the items i sniped

Kronckew,

Your picture did not show up. I'll make a post on the Hembrug when it gets home. Would like to know more. Is there a link to a previous post?
Old 7th October 2008, 06:36 AM   #19
kronckew

some guy named marsh started this one

(pics are showing up for me)

here it is from another source

{picture removed, redundant )

another more recent thread on the book written about them which is also fascinating. Linky

Last edited by kronckew; 7th October 2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 7th October 2008, 08:51 AM   #20
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
some guy named marsh started this one

(pics are showing up for me)

here it is from another source

another more recent thread on the book written about them which is also fascinating. Linky

Thanks. I KNEW I had seen one of them somewhere!

Pics now working for me also! I thought that you had one like my recent eBay acquisition that had been cut down.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:22 PM   #21
kronckew

well, there IS one just like yours in there, just like a block of marble in michaelangelo's studio, all he had to do to carve the david was to remove anything that didn't look like david. same with mine, we just need to remove the bits that dont look like yours.