Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2016, 12:51 PM   #1
danny1976

Default Rudus / Cojang

Hi ,

Here is a nice rudus .
It has a nice laminated blade and on the spine there is the figuration we can find more often on these blades but a nice detail is that it had gold that is something we don't see often.

Unfortunately the most of the gold is also missing on this one.
The blade thickness is 1 cm and a nice translucent hilt.

On one of the photo's there is also the spine of a ''monster'' rencong also 1 cm thick.

Al these weapons i did buy in a lot , happy week ;-)

Regards,
Danny
Attached Images

danny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Sajen

Hi Danny,

nice piece! I own also one with such a decoration on the spine but it has a partly blackened blade. I have shown it before but will take new pictures for comparison.
And I have recently won by an Netherlands auction house another one, very well made piece. When my time and the weather it will allow I will take some pictures.
How long is yours?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 09:07 PM   #3
kai

Hello Danny,

a really nice cojang with sweet pamor! Looks like a deeply patinated albino kerbau horn.

How long is the blade?

Don't forget to also post the rencong - certainly looks promising!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 09:36 PM   #4
danny1976

Hi Detlef and Kai ,

Sajen , i'm curious for the two you have especially the one with the partly blackened blade why is this ?
Why is it partly and not possible to clean it ?

This one is including the hilt 75 cm the hilt is 15 cm so a blade of 60cm
Not special in the size because sometimes there are really big ones.

But do you have also a rudus with the decorated spine or a cojang ? This one is a rudus you can see it by the ''greneng'' at the cutting side of the blade, before this decoration the blade is not sharp.
Normally a rudus handle has a point on the and of the hilt but this one has a normal hilt.

Kai , yup the hilt is made of light horn and maybe it was albino horn but to much patin on it to say for sure its albino ...can if ever be too much ;-)

The rencong is simple and without scabbard , but a very nice and well made blade with a great form. I have one with 3 golden crowns etc.. but i like this plain one more , it feels like a proper weapon

Regards,
Danny
danny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 10:54 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1976
Sajen , i'm curious for the two you have especially the one with the partly blackened blade why is this ?
Why is it partly and not possible to clean it ?

This one is including the hilt 75 cm the hilt is 15 cm so a blade of 60cm
Not special in the size because sometimes there are really big ones.

But do you have also a rudus with the decorated spine or a cojang ? This one is a rudus you can see it by the ''greneng'' at the cutting side of the blade, before this decoration the blade is not sharp.
Normally a rudus handle has a point on the and of the hilt but this one has a normal hilt.
Hi Danny,

think the difference between Co Jang and Rudus is the origin, the Co Jang (or Cojang) is a weapon from Aceh while the Rudus is the variant from the Batak and the hilts from this form has also the elongation at the handle (hulu cangge gliwang). The handle from a Co Jang is called hulu tapa guda (horse hoof handle). The "greneng", if existent or not, is not a sign of the origin so far I know.
The one with the blackned blade I've shown before: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=cojang
In the meanwhile I am nearly sure that the blackening is original to the blade. The blade was very thick waxed which I have removed with a heat gun. Nothing happened to the paint, also when I try it with more temperature. I've tried different dissolver carefully, nothing work so I am sure it's done by forging or blackening as hot metal in a plant solution. I've never seen this before by a Co Jang and it's my theory. Who want a shiny sword for fighting? And this sword has seen a lot of action, it's also somewhat bent and I am unable to get it out. This one has also the decoration at the spine. It's 78 cm long overall.
The other one is with 81 cm quite long and has a very well worked blade, laminated like the other one. And it has a, what I think, suassa ferrule at the handle, a real nice sword.
Like said, will take some pictures soon as possible.
Here a picture of some very nice Rudus handles from Willems collection.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote