Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th October 2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Shakethetrees

Default Restoration advice needed Moro? Kris

I know there are folks out there who can advise me on this gem!

I am not by any means an expert on keris and Philippine weapons, but I have had the good fortune to have acquired a few over the years.

The ivory broke fairly recently before I got it. The person I picked it up from is not very careful with his possessions, and I would guess he probably broke it by careless handling.

It took a couple of years of pestering to pry this one loose, but I can be very persistent!

The blade is inlaid with silver stars and semicircles, as well as a bit of line work extending toward the point.

The questions I have are:

I wish to polish the blade and inlays. Should I etch to attempt to find a pattern? Originally it was just polished. Finding a pattern by etching teaches us a lot by exposing a pattern, but would this have been a consideration back in the day, in the hands of the maker and original owner?

I can attach a piece of ivory and carve it to correct shape once I know what that shape is. Do any of you have an intact grip that I can see from several angles?

Once this repair has been done, should I polish the patina away to match the new ivory or darken the new work? (I think I know the correct answer here) however, patination of ivory is difficult, if not impossible. Over the last thirty years I have played around with this problem a bit and found that soaking in tea is an old wives tale. Either it does not work at all, or it works so well that the color is horrible and the surface is left rough if the soak is too long. A fine honey color has been elusive so far. Any tips?

The wood missing from the scabbard throat is some native wood that I don't know. How do I match it?

The cordage wrap is missing about half of its length. What was used to waterproof or stiffen it? What is a good modern replacement?

Finally, if there are any other suggestions covering topics that I might have missed, they will be most welcome!

Any and all suggestions, comments, criticisms (constructive, of course) are also welcome!
Attached Images

Last edited by Shakethetrees; 6th October 2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Clarification of text and photos
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote