Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th September 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
BigG

Default New - Peninsula Malay Anak Alang

This is a new Anak Alang Keris which I had purchased a while back. The blade isnt made of high contrasting pamor material though evidence of this is seen at the Ganja as well as a bit near the tutung/pucuk. The blade is sturdy and takes an attractive anak alang form that curves out word much like that of a Bugis Sepokal. The blade also widens a bit in a Jalak form.

The Bunga Krawang/Ricikan ens in a long tapering form that pleasingly sets of the entire form of the keris. I have seen some eg of entique pcs that has this form before, but have never had the good fortune to be able to cease one for myself. So forthe moment this would have to make do.

The blade originally comes in a sheath and hulu that was far in excess of the size of the blade and was made stiff an rather listless. I comissioned a Trengganu craftsman to redo the entire hilt and sheath for me. I was specific that the sampir was of the Sari Bulan form. But instead of being straight & stiff as it was previously, to have it be angled smoothly just ever so slightly so that the form of the sheath and hulu replicates more the curvature of the blade. I believe that the craftsman has been able to achieve this well from what you can see in the pics.

The hulu was remade and was done so that it would be in proportion to the blade and the sheath... It was to take the form of the Hulu Tapak Kuda, Horse's Hoove with none or very minimal decorative element.

The material for the Hulu, Sampir & the Buntut is made of choiced material. That of a Kemuning Raja, Royal Kemuning. Got it from the jungles of Kelantan via Kuala Lumpur. For a non antique, it has very good chatoyance that may not be very apparent in the pics and also respectable grains. The Batang Serunai - Stem, is made of Sena wood with good grains and chatoyance too.

The pendokok was the last to arrive. An antique silver piece rather full of gunk. Had to clean it a bit. Overall a nice new piece of Anak Alang. I have been told by M'sian collectors that this variance is known as an Anak Alang - Setapak Kaki (A Foots Length). I am uncertain whether this is actually the term for the variance of design or merely describing the size of it which is that of a foot length.

All comments would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigG; 7th September 2010 at 11:51 AM.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
BigG

Based on anecdotal evidence from oral sources, the Anak Alang, in the past is deemed to be an extreme close in stabbing weapon for hand-to-hand combat. Due to its size, it is far easily hidden in the folds of ones clothing and deployed immediately and suddenly when needed. It was deemed suitable for used by women and the young even though its used is not restricted to them alone.

The ricikan of the anak alang, in particular, elongated and tapering forms such as this was more then for just ornamental reasons. It serves the added function of a means of parrying the blade or hands of the opponent. & in extreme conditions could itself be used to inflict wounds or pain compliance to the opponent during combat.

Like the curvature that is found in a Bugis sepokal blade, the curvature of the balde that is seen in this form of anak alang is also deemed via oral traditions and practicaal experimenting on my own, to be able to enhance tissue trauma, during theinitial entry stab and when the blade exits the wound. The curvature also allows for the blade to be employed not just for stabbing but also for slashing action as that curvature conforms to the natural contours of the human body. Specifically the neck, wrist, crook of elbow or rear of the knee.

In that sense, this new Anak Alang conforms well to the traditional emphasis of balance between the need for utility and the aesthetics that is in my personal opinion the basis of the forma of Malay Kerises in the Peninsula, Sumatra and of the Bugis forms too.

Comments would be appreciated. Rgds
Old 7th September 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Marcokeris

Very nice and full of harmony.
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
Very nice and full of harmony.
Thnx, Marco...
Old 7th September 2010, 11:28 PM   #5
BigG

Default A quatrain for the Sari Bulan

The term Sari Bulan, describing the distinctive look of the cross piece of the sheath, Sampir, is known by a few other terms. The term Sari Bulan is thought to be a shortened version of the Malay phrase Sehari Bulan - (A day old moon). I have been told by a M'sian academic from M'sia of several other versions of this but could only recall 1, known as the Limau Se-ulas (An Orange slice). There appears to be a variation of this design in Perlis known as Pauh Di Layang - (A Mango, Finely Sliced). A Pantun for this..

"Anak bugis pergi berjalan
Mendaki bukit bersama kawan
Sampir keris sehari bulan
Senget sedikit indah menawan"

A gallivanting the Bugis man went
Up a hill with a friend sworn
A day old moon - slightly bent
A thing of beauty - my heart it won
Old 8th September 2010, 01:11 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I think I'll throw this photo up for comments from members who may have not seen it before .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 02:59 PM   #7
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG
The term Sari Bulan, describing the distinctive look of the cross piece of the sheath, Sampir, is known by a few other terms. The term Sari Bulan is thought to be a shortened version of the Malay phrase Sehari Bulan - (A day old moon). I have been told by a M'sian academic from M'sia of several other versions of this but could only recall 1, known as the Limau Se-ulas (An Orange slice). There appears to be a variation of this design in Perlis known as Pauh Di Layang - (A Mango, Finely Sliced). A Pantun for this..

"Anak bugis pergi berjalan
Mendaki bukit bersama kawan
Sampir keris sehari bulan
Senget sedikit indah menawan"

A gallivanting the Bugis man went
Up a hill with a friend sworn
A day old moon - slightly bent
A thing of beauty - my heart it won
I like the pantun! Thanks for sharing!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote