Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 10th April 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
David R

Default The Royal Armouries Association

The Royal Armouries Association was started originaly to campaign for the locating of the new R.A. Museum in Leeds, under the name of the Royal Armouries Support Group. So in fact we pre date the Museum building by a few years.
After the construction of the museum at its present site it was felt that the old name did not really describe the group and so was changed to the present one, "The Royal Armouries Association".
We are a friendly group of collectors and interested people with a common enjoyment of the history of arms and armour, from all periods and countries and all types.
Some meetings are simple "show and tell", an opportunity to bring items along, to show them off and get input from fellow collectors.
Other meeting we are privilaged to see items out of the Armouries collection not visible to the general public. Sometimes we have seminars delivered either by a curator, or by a member of the group.
The primary aim of the group is to enjoy our hobby, and perhaps promote an interest in the Museum.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 10:28 PM   #2
David R

Default We now have a facebook page.

I hope that the moderators are ok with this, if there are problems please delete this post. However I hope and believe this will be of interest to many here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/498926490154772/
Old 12th April 2013, 12:04 AM   #3
RDGAC

To whom is the Facebook group open, exactly? I'm not a member of the Association - indeed, I'd no idea such an association existed - but I thought I might like to keep up to date with what's on, especially living so nearby.

Best regards,

Meredydd
RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 10:28 PM   #4
David R

Hiya, the Facebook page is open to all who are interested, as are the meetings. My apologies for this very late update... sometimes I miss stuff, or just lose track.
Old 1st August 2015, 03:12 AM   #5
JamesKelly

Glad to learn about this.
I have scarce a dozen British arms. Two of them, military flints, are not well documented in the literature.
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 06:26 PM   #6
kronckew

i clicked the 'join the group' button - now says 'pending' - i gather someone has to approve me.

anyway, looks interesting & worth joining, even tho my weapons collecting is a bit eclectic.

leeds is about 185 mi./ 3.5 hrs. drive or so, so i won't be able to attend many meetings there.

i do note they describe themselves in part, as :

"We are a friendly group of collectors and interested people with a common enjoyment of the history of arms and armour, from all periods and countries and all types."

Last edited by kronckew; 1st August 2015 at 06:43 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote