Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th August 2023, 12:26 AM   #1
wildwolberine

Default Spear from Nagaland?

I purchased this partial spear from forum member RSword. Described as Filipino in the listing, I thought it might be Naga; now that I can examine it more closely I have less confidence.

Heavy but small and compact leaf shaped blade. There’s some pattern visible but I don’t know if it’s deliberate or from forging process. I can’t honestly tell if the base has a socket or a tang, there’s no seam visible. It’s firmly attached and I couldn’t move it manually. The remaining shaft is dark wood, possibly palm. I don’t see any evidence of a ferrule or binding.

If this is from Philippines or Indonesia? Could anyone share examples of similar spears? Thanks!

48 cm OAL
Tip 25 cm
Blade 18 cm, 3.5 cm wide
Attached Images

wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2023, 03:52 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi WW,

Nice old spear. Definitely laminated steel and secured by a tang (a socket would form a sleeve over the wood and be pinned or otherwise fixed, and I don't see that in your pic). It could be from the southern Philippines and perhaps Moro, but the design is pretty basic and other possibilities are in play (Lumad groups for example).

Do you plan to clean and etch it? I think it may have a nice pattern.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2023, 11:06 PM   #3
wildwolberine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi WW,

Do you plan to clean and etch it? I think it may have a nice pattern.
Thank you! Yes, I would like to try to etch the blade. Is there a non-destructive way to remove the shaft? Would be easier to fit it on a container for a vinegar bath. No big loss if the wood isn’t salvageable
wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2023, 11:58 PM   #4
RobT

Default Try Evaporust

wildwolberine,

I recommend immersing the entire spearhead in Evaporust. It won't hurt the wood. After soaking the head for 24 hours, you will have to polish it with a 3M abrasive pad because the Evaporust will have turned the metal a dull light grey. The Evaporust will also lightly etch the blade so you will get a preview of any damascus pattern. After polishing, I recommend a 2-3% nital solution to bring up the pattern.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote