Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd August 2015, 02:25 AM   #1
harrywagner

Default How to date a kilij, or similar sword

I recently purchased this Arab kilij. I am confident that it is authentic but don't have any idea how old it is. I know this type of sword was common during the Ottoman period, but that spans a pretty long time. Any ideas on how to narrow down the possible date range for this sword?

Best regards,
Harry
Attached Images

harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 07:16 AM   #2
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywagner
I recently purchased this Arab kilij. I am confident that it is authentic but don't have any idea how old it is. I know this type of sword was common during the Ottoman period, but that spans a pretty long time. Any ideas on how to narrow down the possible date range for this sword?

Best regards,
Harry
Hey Harry,

Sorry to say but what you have is a Syrian reproduction. Its new but once you receive it, take close ups of the blade and maybe there is a chance its a redressed old blade. But I dont bet on it :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey Harry,

Sorry to say but what you have is a Syrian reproduction. Its new but once you receive it, take close ups of the blade and maybe there is a chance its a redressed old blade. But I dont bet on it :-)

I confirm, blade, guard, scabbard, grip, all recent. It's so hard to find these completly original... I almost fall in the trap twice this year...
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:56 PM   #4
harrywagner

Default Modern?

Thanks for the replies. I'm no expert so this could be a modern sword. If so, it is a good fake. The Damascene on the blade (photos attached) has been done the old fashioned way. What makes you think this was made recently?

Harry
Old 3rd August 2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Kubur

Hi Harry,
Just write these key words on Google or this forum: kilij pala ottoman Turkish.
You will see the shape of the hilt, the style of the grips, the quillons of the guard and the blades. Very different. Nevertheless in a recent publication in Riyad, half of their swords were of your kind and they were presented as originals... But they were just recent copies. Everybody does mistakes. But the best is to research by yourself, never believe someone in this forum without your own research. I got some silly answers on some daggers and swords that I presented and some members were completely wrong. Its just opinions by passionate collectors. But unfortunately for your sword there is no doubt...
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:19 PM   #6
harrywagner

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm no expert so this could be a modern sword. If so, it is a good fake. The Damascene on the blade (photos attached) has been done the old fashioned way. What makes you think this was made recently?

Harry
This time WITH the photos. I must be getting old. Thanks to all that have answered. I am still a little confused. I think this is a kalij from the early 20th century (last years of the Ottoman empire) and I think it was probably made in what was then called Syria or somewhere on the Arab peninsula. Am I wrong about this? Thanks again.

Harry
Attached Images

Old 4th August 2015, 12:46 AM   #7
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Harry,
Just write these key words on Google or this forum: kilij pala ottoman Turkish.
You will see the shape of the hilt, the style of the grips, the quillons of the guard and the blades. Very different. Nevertheless in a recent publication in Riyad, half of their swords were of your kind and they were presented as originals... But they were just recent copies. Everybody does mistakes. But the best is to research by yourself, never believe someone in this forum without your own research. I got some silly answers on some daggers and swords that I presented and some members were completely wrong. Its just opinions by passionate collectors. But unfortunately for your sword there is no doubt...
The recent publication in Riyad wouldn't happen to be "Weapons of the Islamic World: Swords & Armour" would it?
Old 4th August 2015, 02:05 PM   #8
ALEX

Quote:
The recent publication in Riyad wouldn't happen to be "Weapons of the Islamic World: Swords & Armour" would it?
Yes, this is the publication mentioned.
A.Alnakkas and Kubur are absolutely right. This sword was made in Syria in the late 20th, not early 20th century!. it is recent reproduction, not antique. the coftgari silver overlay technique has not changed since old times, and is being made right now using the same methods.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 03:01 PM   #9
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
A.Alnakkas and Kubur are absolutely right. This sword was made in Syria in the late 20th, not early 20th century!. it is recent reproduction, not antique. the coftgari silver overlay technique has not changed since old times, and is being made right now using the same methods.
Thanks Alex, A. Alnakkas and Kubur. I am surprised. Someone really went to a lot of work to make this look old. I paid a nice price for it, although only a fraction of what I expect the real thing would cost.
Old 4th August 2015, 04:48 PM   #10
harrywagner

Default Weapons of the Islamic world

Quote:
Wow. I am surprised. This is one of the books I rely upon regularly. I have not heard that it included modern reproductions. Is that the general consensus here? I hope you are not going to tell me I can't trust Tiri or Elgood either!
Old 5th August 2015, 01:48 AM   #11
Oliver Pinchot

You can certainly trust Elgood
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 02:23 AM   #12
ALEX

Quote:
Wow. I am surprised. This is one of the books I rely upon regularly. I have not heard that it included modern reproductions. Is that the general consensus here? I hope you are not going to tell me I can't trust Tiri or Elgood either!
This book has many composition swords, old blades with new fittings, almost all are missdated. new swords look like book examples because this is where the "artists" get their ideas from or use authentic as models. One must rely on real life knowledge and experience, not the books alone.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 04:13 AM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
You can certainly trust Elgood
Harry:

Oliver emphasizes the positive, and I agree completely--Robert Elgood is a serious scholar of edged weapons.

You should check this site by searching for "Elgood" or "Tirri" to see what other members have to say about their respective books. You may be surprised.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 06:54 PM   #14
ward

Elgood is a a well respected researcher and author.
Tirri is a wealthy man who published his collection and than later sold that collection.
Different approaches and reasons to write. Take it for what it is.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 07:42 PM   #15
Kubur

Quote:
This book has many composition swords, old blades with new fittings, almost all are missdated. new swords look like book examples because this is where the "artists" get their ideas from or use authentic as models. One must rely on real life knowledge and experience, not the books alone.
Let me add that some of these swords are completely fakes.
and yes, almost all are missdated.
Old 6th August 2015, 12:08 PM   #16
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Let me add that some of these swords are completely fakes.
and yes, almost all are missdated.
The collection in the book is identified by the same dealers that provided them. So that explains alot :-))
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote