Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th December 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Philippine Bolo for discussion

Have had a successful bid and win this philippine bolo. Would be nice when someone would be able to name it, the exact origin and the estimated age would be also for interest.

It is 22 inch complete with a 16 inch blade. The seller write that the handle is from wood but I think it's horn.

Thank you in advance,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Sajen nice find. As far as age goes 1940-45 probably Luzon.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Batangas Province maybe ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Sajen nice find. As far as age goes 1940-45 probably Luzon.
Thank you Lew,

personally I think it is approx. 20 years older. The iron ferrule and the stitching of the leather scabbard let me think like this.
The blade shape is like a dahong palay when I remember correct. There is a catmon flower in up from the scabbard, normally a Panay indication so I a really unsure about the origin.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 20th December 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Batangas Province maybe ?
Hello Rick,

the dog head handle let you think like this? Good hint. Cross cultural piece? Luzon-Panay-Batangas? The origin is a real puzzle for me.
What do you think about the age?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 20th December 2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'm with you, on the age Sajen .
I don't associate these hilts with really old examples .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Bangkaya

Nice old bolo. Bolos from Luzon all look very similar and their scabbards even more so. Tooled leather scabbards are common throughout Luzon. Batangas would be a good guess, however, typically a bolo from Batangas would have a smaller, narrower ferrule. Hilts would either be more figural such as a horse head or the "Katipunan fist." If not figural, just a truncated or flared hilt.

Your bolo looks more like it's from Pangasinan. The typical "horse-hoof" or "dog-head" hilt as you call it is more common in Pangasinan and Pampanga (to a lesser degree) than anywhere else in Luzon. The lack of a cross guard also hints more of a Pangasinan origin. As for age, it is difficult to date these bolos since they are still making the same ones today with very little change. I have a WWII scout bolo (it also has the "katmon" flower design on the scabbard throat as well as the P.I. Scout insignia) that looks newer than yours so yours may actually be older. But, I've seen newer bolos from Pangasinan that's seen hard use look far older. My guess is that yours is older judging by just patina on the scabbard and bolo itself.

As for particular name, dahon palay or even matulis would be the blade shape. However, most people there don't call it by their blade shape but rather refer to it as a bolo or itak.

Regards,

Bangkaya
Bangkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I'm with you, on the age Sajen .
I don't associate these hilts with really old examples .
Hello Rick,

thank you for confirming my guess. Agree with you about the hilt but it is the first example I have seen where you still can see that it should be a dog head.

Still hope that Jose, Robert, Bangkaya, Dave (aka ThePepperSkull) or Migueldiaz can tell me more about this bolo.

Last edited by Sajen; 21st December 2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkaya
Nice old bolo. Bolos from Luzon all look very similar and their scabbards even more so. Tooled leather scabbards are common throughout Luzon. Batangas would be a good guess, however, typically a bolo from Batangas would have a smaller, narrower ferrule. Hilts would either be more figural such as a horse head or the "Katipunan fist." If not figural, just a truncated or flared hilt.

Your bolo looks more like it's from Pangasinan. The typical "horse-hoof" or "dog-head" hilt as you call it is more common in Pangasinan and Pampanga (to a lesser degree) than anywhere else in Luzon. The lack of a cross guard also hints more of a Pangasinan origin. As for age, it is difficult to date these bolos since they are still making the same ones today with very little change. I have a WWII scout bolo (it also has the "katmon" flower design on the scabbard throat as well as the P.I. Scout insignia) that looks newer than yours so yours may actually be older. But, I've seen newer bolos from Pangasinan that's seen hard use look far older. My guess is that yours is older judging by just patina on the scabbard and bolo itself.

As for particular name, dahon palay or even matulis would be the blade shape. However, most people there don't call it by their blade shape but rather refer to it as a bolo or itak.

Regards,

Bangkaya
Bangkaya,

thank you very much. Have hoped that you jump in.
So is the catmoon flower not only used in Panay.

Your great knowledge is intriguing and you are a great enrichment for our forum. Special because there is nothing written down about the weapons from this area.

Thank you again,

Detlef
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:02 AM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, There is really not anything that I can add that has not already been said so I will just say very nice find and a great addition to your collection. Congratulations on your new bolo!!

Regards,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Detlef, There is really not anything that I can add that has not already been said so I will just say very nice find and a great addition to your collection. Congratulations on your new bolo!!

Regards,
Robert

Thank you Robert!
Old 14th June 2022, 03:38 AM   #12
Kidlat72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Have had a successful bid and win this philippine bolo. Would be nice when someone would be able to name it, the exact origin and the estimated age would be also for interest.

It is 22 inch complete with a 16 inch blade. The seller write that the handle is from wood but I think it's horn.

Thank you in advance,

Detlef
good day sir!

I am a newbie here and this is my first post. I recently bought a blade which the seller said belonged to his late-grandfather. he named it "Pangasinan blade" I observed that the scabbard/sheath and the hilt is similar to yours.Name:  284949855_405097094706998_3119572817320886524_n.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  284532197_546473830395297_1646229868933049141_n.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  63.3 KB
Kidlat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2022, 10:27 PM   #13
Sajen

Welcome to the forum Mr. Lightling ,

First, name me Detlef! I don't own this Pangasinan bolo anymore, I've sold it some years ago but I now own another Pangasinan blade. I will post some pictures later.
I guess that your nice Pangasinan blade is a little bit younger, the integral ferrule/guard let me think like this. Maybe other, more knowledgeable members could confirm this.
And it would be good when you upload pictures directly to this site so we can be sure that they don't disapear in time.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 20th June 2022, 06:27 AM   #14
xasterix

Quote:

First, name me Detlef! I don't own this Pangasinan bolo anymore, I've sold it some years ago but I now own another Pangasinan blade. I will post some pictures later.
I guess that your nice Pangasinan blade is a little bit younger, the integral ferrule/guard let me think like this. Maybe other, more knowledgeable members could confirm this.
And it would be good when you upload pictures directly to this site so we can be sure that they don't disapear in time.

Best regards,
Detlef
Agreed with the age estimate, postwar onwards I believe.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2022, 10:29 PM   #15
Sajen

Quote:
I don't own this Pangasinan bolo anymore, I've sold it some years ago but I now own another Pangasinan blade. I will post some pictures later.
Here is my "new" Pangasinan itak, big dagger size with 46,7 cm unsheathed, blade 32 cm, 6,7 mm thick near the handle.
Attached Images

Old 20th June 2022, 10:34 PM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Agreed with the age estimate, postwar onwards I believe.
Thank you Xas, so I was correct.
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:53 AM   #17
RobT

Default Here's Another

Hi Detlef,

Our bolos appear to be cousins. My blade measures 18" (about 45.7cm) long and the spine is just a tad over 3/8" (just under 1cm) thick at the hilt. Our sheaths are very similar also. I got mine at the beginning of this year. Did you get yours recently also?

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2022, 07:52 PM   #18
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post
Our bolos appear to be cousins. My blade measures 18" (about 45.7cm) long and the spine is just a tad over 3/8" (just under 1cm) thick at the hilt. Our sheaths are very similar also. I got mine at the beginning of this year. Did you get yours recently also?
Hi Rob,

Yes, very similar! And no, my one I have already long.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 14th July 2022, 05:12 AM   #19
Kidlat72

Quote:

Best regards,
Detlef
thank you for taking time in looking into my very late post (considering the last comment was in 2012 ) I laughed when you addressed me mr lightning hahaha... and thanks for the warm welcome
Kidlat72 is offline   Reply With Quote