Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 16th March 2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Arjuna

Default Ancient Keris Cengkrong for comment

Hello to all!

I recently found this Keris Cengkrong with an ancient very thin blade. Must have been highly esteemed by a previous owner according to the costly sarong (silver sheat, gading handle).

An indonesian friend opined it to be tangguh kuno from pajajaran era, eventually previously owned by a royal family.

What would you say?

Thanks for your comments.

regards
Karl
Attached Images

Arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Paul B.

Ahhh yes I recognize this one, you got it from a Dutch guy!
The bery tip end of the blade is broken.
Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Paul B.

Also think that the silver rim/band around the neck or joint of the sheath is missing ( it usually comes together with the button).
Old 17th March 2018, 01:32 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

This style of scabbard, from the applicable period, is normally made in mamas, not silver.

Has the material in this scabbard been tested and confirmed as silver?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Arjuna

It was not tested, I was just told that it is silver or siver plated. But I think you are right its a bit too shiny.

btw. What is Mamas made of? Just know it contains some Nickel.
Old 17th March 2018, 08:35 AM   #6
Paul B.

The style of scabbard reminds me much more of a wooden example I recently handled and passed thru. Still believe it is silver plated.
Old 17th March 2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Jean

Blade belonging to a royal family?
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2018, 02:00 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

I honestly have not handled keris cengkrong nor really seen too many in photos, but this blade seems off to me. It may just be the angle of the photo, but the front of this blade looks like it was once a keris that had the entire gandik sheared off. The edge appears squared off. It this the way keris cengkrong always are or is it possible this blade was once a keris?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Arjuna

Cundrik not Cengkrong.
Attached Images

Old 19th March 2018, 03:27 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjuna
Cundrik not Cengkrong.
Perhaps you could explain the difference for us Ajuna. I certainly see numerous blades just like this currently being offered up from Indonesian sources that refer to this type of blade as "Cengkrong".
I have also seen this style of blade referred to as "Cundrik", but Cundrik has also been used by numerous writers on keris (perhaps incorrectly) to describe this a ancient blade form.
Attached Images

Old 19th March 2018, 03:58 PM   #11
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Perhaps you could explain the difference for us Ajuna. I certainly see numerous blades just like this currently being offered up from Indonesian sources that refer to this type of blade as "Cengkrong".
I have also seen this style of blade referred to as "Cundrik", but Cundrik has also been used by numerous writers on keris (perhaps incorrectly) to describe this a ancient blade form.
Hello David,
Your blade is a cundrik sajen.
According to the books Dhapur and the EK, the differences between dapur cundrik and cengkrong are very minimal so they can be easily confused. They are usually straight blades but wavy blades are also found, especially with 5 luk.
Regards
Old 19th March 2018, 04:36 PM   #12
Arjuna

Quote:
I am sorry, cant tell the difference they look almost the same for me. Here are the pictures I found, maybe you know them already ...

Maybe the lurus ones have a reverse Ganja the pandawa none?
I was also told that this is a very old form of keris to be worn by warriors only.

Regards
Attached Images

Last edited by Arjuna; 19th March 2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 19th March 2018, 05:29 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, if were were to accept this last diagram as fact Arjuna i suppose that your blade would best be described as Cundrik Pandawa since it is both wavy and has no separate gonjo as the other two example do.
Though i am still suspicious of this blade in regards to my question i first made about it. This appears to a a blade that was has been reformed. The front edge near the base looks like it has been sheared off, leaving a flat surface. Can we see some sharper photos of this area of the blade? Can we see the way it fits into the sheath from an above view. Should we expect a Javanese blade form purported to possibly be from a royal family to carry a Madurese hilt form? I suspect this could possibly be a composite piece.
Old 19th March 2018, 05:41 PM   #14
Arjuna

Quote:
Well, if were were to accept this last diagram as fact Arjuna i suppose that your blade would best be described as Cundrik Pandawa since it is both wavy and has no separate gonjo as the other two example do.
Though i am still suspicious of this blade in regards to my question i first made about it. This appears to a a blade that was has been reformed. The front edge near the base looks like it has been sheared off, leaving a flat surface. Can we see some sharper photos of this area of the blade? Can we see the way it fits into the sheath from an above view. Should we expect a Javanese blade form purported to possibly be from a royal family to carry a Madurese hilt form? I suspect this could possibly be a composite piece.
I passed it on to my indonesian friend who desperately wanted it so I can make no more pictures. The Warangka was made for this keris with a fitting opening.

Regards
Old 19th March 2018, 06:21 PM   #15
Jean

Another old cengkrong or cundrik blade with 5 luk and rather similar to Arjuna's specimen.
Regards
Attached Images

Old 19th March 2018, 06:48 PM   #16
Athanase

I have an almost similar blade, but the hilt and scabbard are recent.
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 08:41 PM   #17
David
Keris forum moderator

So no one wants to address my question about the squared-off nature of the "gandik" area of this blade?