Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th December 2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Ria

Default My Keris: Newly Made Of Painted Sheath

Hi all,

Just to share with some photo's of my very recent/newly made Painted Sheath but not it's blade. Anyone can help me to give some info on History of The Painted Sheath or mightbe some reference books? The only resources I got from the books of The World Of The Javanese Keris on page 52 and Ensiklopedi Keris by Bambang Hasrinuskmo.

I'm very much apprieciated if anyone could also share their own Painted Sheath here too....
Best Regard
Attached Images

Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Ferguson

Wow. Very interesting and very beautiful work.

Steve Ferguson
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 11:45 AM   #3
nechesh

Beautiful painting Ria. This is called Sunggingan in Jawa where i believe the practice originated. The Balinese also did this to some extent. It was an honor reserved for court officials and finding old original painted wrongko is rare these days and the prices are very high for them. It is nice to see that the art form is reviving, but sad to see that the newly painted wrongkos are often passed off as old, original pieces. I'm glad your source is an honest one.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 03:00 PM   #4
Federico

Absolutely stunning painting and photography.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 04:09 PM   #5
BluErf

Get a glass showcase and display it in your living room!

It'll be a great conversation piece!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 07:38 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

I do hope I am not over stepping the line here,but am I the only one who can see some coital imagery in the relationship between elements,some what highlighted by being painted.Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 11:05 PM   #7
nechesh

Very interesting observation Tim, but i'll bet you'll have a real hard time (no pun intended) getting any confirmation on such a design intention.
Old 21st December 2004, 11:01 AM   #8
jwpettipas

Extremely beautiful and captivating work, I love what you've done with this. Great work, I hope we see more of it in the future =)
jwpettipas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2004, 02:20 PM   #9
BluErf

Where? what? I don't see anything!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2004, 07:34 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Does this weapon come a Hindu area?painted with flowers expressing fecundity and shapes very reminiscent of certain Indian religous icons.I feel a strong link is very possible.Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 06:52 AM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

There are overlays of indigenous, Hindu, Buddhist, and later Muslim cultural influences all over the region. These are reflected in different ways. I am not surprised that your good eyes have spied Hindu influences. All of these overlays are still present.

Beautiful work! I'm impressed.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2004, 08:38 PM   #12
Rudy Hartono

It is realy beautifull sungging, the the quality of sungging realy as same as sungging for wayang kulit.
I also interested to see the keris, it must be also nice keris.
Once again Ria i really impresed of these warangka keris.
Rudy Hartono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 07:00 AM   #13
Ria

Default Dapur Pandawa, luk 5

Hi all,
Thanks for the replied.
I should keep this one as my favourite collection and of course for the beautiful art of "sunggingan" on it warangka/hilt. Attached below photo for it's blade, according to the seller he mentioned the blade as Dapur Pandawa, luk 5. He also mentioned that the blade was made from Besi Ambal (refer the term of Besi Ambal in Ensiklopedi Keris, pg 99) but I'm not sure how true is it???? but I like this keris very much!!!
Thank you again for the comments.
Attached Images

Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 07:57 AM   #14
Philip

Default Origin of this painted style ??

Ria,
Thank you for posting a very impressive piece! I like the quality of both blade and fittings.

When I look at the painted motifs, with their striking color combinations, I immediately think of the folk art in some areas of Portugal. I know next to nothing about keris, but am aware of the influence of the Portuguese in areas of south Asia over several centuries (indeed, their colonial presence ended only about 3 decades ago in East Timor). Would I be off the mark in believing that this painted decor may have a Portuguese origin?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2004, 08:45 PM   #15
Mick

Here are a couple of the old versions.

[IMG]DSC00006a[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC00002a[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC00004a[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC00005a[/IMG]

The following is the more common version. Note that the sheath has been recarved for the keris now encased. The correct fitting is between the parrell lines in the area bounded by the fish scale motif.

[IMG]DSC00008a[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC00009a[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC00010a[/IMG]

These pictures have been a little jazzed up in a photo program. The first piece has gold leaf as part of the work and both have been covered with some protective shellac which has darkened a little with age. It would take a painting restorer to bring them back to life without destroying the original work.

Ok guys what happened??? These are 640X480 and under190KB in size.

Last edited by Mick; 31st December 2004 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Photos did not atach
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2004, 09:26 PM   #16
Mick

Here are the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2004, 09:32 PM   #17
Mick

Missed one
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2004, 10:52 PM   #18
nechesh

Thanks Mick for showing us these earlier examples. I wonder what happened to the blades these wrongko were originally made for. Even if fully restored it seems that the old school sheath painters had a more sublte sense of color.
That's a pretty meaty gonjo you've got on the gayaman wrongko. Whatcha got in there?
Old 1st January 2005, 03:33 AM   #19
Mick

Nechesh

If you saw the picture of the piece with the carved peacock instead of the normal kembang kacang that I pictured here a year or so ago, that's what is in this sheath.
Old 3rd February 2005, 06:58 PM   #20
DhenTal

Default Sunggingan ???

I like the photos in this thread. Looks so cool almost the piece are a real new.
Some Scabbards looks like an old.. but actually is a new made too.
I can't understand.. how forumities suppose that the piece is a good made and old ?
The real old Sunggingan scabbards have a good painting. Look into Ensiklopedia Keris p:448 and Lampiran. That is a real old Sunggingan which made by a Expert Mranggi.

Ria Scabbards more Maduranese than Solonese. At Sumenep, the scabbard like this was sale with a cheap. It more used to tourist consumption. It have a coarse painting.
The Kriss called Pandawa Lok 5, looks like a panjak or common blacksmith. but it is an old piece. If I look clooser, the iron like a Sultan Agung period. The curve at wadidang and gonjo look not too appropriate.
Looks like the Ron Dha at gonjo was brokken, but not.. just not appropriate.

Mick posted better than Ria. The Sunggingan more smooth with an old pendok blewah, old mendak by parinjata and Untu Walang models. The mendaks made by Solonese style. The hilt is old too. It have a good carved (patra).... although it is a new sunggingan too for tourist consumption not too old than 1960, although the scabbard is an old. But.. all of Mick poste is Solonese style, from scabbard 'till the mendaks.
Btw..., The kriss inside, looks like a new kriss. Kriss with Ron Genduru pamor put into ladrang scabbard... and ngulit semongko or wos wutoh at gayaman scabard.
These is just my opinion, it can be wrong....
DhenTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 08:47 PM   #21
derek

Default Sun, Moon, Stars, and Earth?

Hi Mick,

I noticed on your example the sun, moon, star, and earth (?) depicted twice. One with a symbol on the earth (if that's what it is) that implies something entering, one the other with a symbol that implies something coming out of the earth. Do you know what that represents?

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 09:31 PM   #22
Mick

derek

That is the coat of arms for the Sultan of Solo. The stars, moon ,sun and earth represent the universe. The item that is stuck into the earth is a nail (paku). The Sultan of Solo is known as Pakubuwono (the nail of the universe).
Old 4th February 2005, 01:41 AM   #23
Alam Shah

Default Nice to have one...

Ria, nice artwork piece you have there.

Mick, I love your ladrangan piece. It is beautiful.
I hope to own one of these nice piece ...(if possible, someday...)

The painted ladrang sheath originated from Solo or Surakarta.
I think this is a uniquely Solo practice. (But I may be wrong). The blewah pendok in red lacquer, by tradition, only immediate relatives of the Sultan have the right to have red lacquered sheaths.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 4th February 2005 at 01:57 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote