Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th October 2023, 09:05 PM   #1
G. Mansfield

Default Gile Dagger

Good day everybody,

I just received this beautiful dagger in that looks to be an Afar or Dir Clan (Issa, Gadabuursi) gile. It is quite attractive compared to the average examples that we come across. Originating from the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden Region, this dagger was purchased from France, with the good possibility of coming from the old colonial French Somaliland, (Djibouti) or nearby Zeila, British Somaliland, (Somaliland).

Strong Arab influences are obvious, particularly with the blade and silverwork in which are reminiscent of Yemeni work. The blade on this example is curved with a strong central ridge rather than the typical dog-legged blade with a set of twin central fullers seen. Also, the silverwork is of very high quality and meticulously worked. The hilt of horn looks to be rhinoceros with a silver filigree band around the grip , silver rosettes, and diamond shaped studs. The pommel cap is a silver dome. Sheath of leather and silver chape and locket. It is a little worn from age but a fine example of such. It likely belonged to someone of a high social status in the late 19th century. Any comments or information are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

-Geoffrey
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2023, 09:35 PM   #2
Martin Lubojacky

It is an exceptional piece. Congratulations ...!
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2023, 10:03 PM   #3
Sajen

What is the handle material? Rhino? Beautiful example! Congrats.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2023, 03:31 PM   #4
Marc M.

Greetings

Nice piece, perhaps more Yemeni than Afar or Isse.

Best regards
Marc
Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2023, 04:25 PM   #5
TVV

Fantastic piece, thank you for sharing it here. Perhaps an Afar or Issa had this commissioned and made in Yemen, but it was clearly meant to be worn and used back on the African side of the Red Sea.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2023, 03:48 AM   #6
Montino Bourbon

Default incredibly well constructed blade!

it’s definitely an exceptional dagger, but what I like best is the incredibly good construction of the blade. In shape, it resembles a Moghul dagger. Extremely functional, and really an excellent piece. Congratulations! i’d love to see a photograph of the point, taken in the plane of the edge.
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2023, 12:30 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Best (and only) gile jambiya (I love the alliteration ) I've seen. Love the silver filigree.

Looks like wood, unless it is rough translucent rhino horn.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2023, 09:37 PM   #8
G. Mansfield

In my opinion, this gile is not from Yemen. Rather it is likely from the Djibouti Region with Yemeni influence. Yemen is only 32- kilometers through the Bab al- Mandeb Straight and during the late 19th century, French expansionism had attracted many workers and merchants from Yemen in a significant migration in search of better economic opportunities. By 1927, 45 percent of the population in Djibouti city was of Yemini origin. See attached article for reference. (https://sanaacenter.org/publications...ications/17445). It is also known that many Yemenite Jews had settled in Djibouti at this time known for their skills as silversmiths and craft jewelers, noted for their use of fine granulation and filigree work on Yemeni jambiya. In Yemen the silversmith trade was held almost exclusively by Jews from the 18th – mid 20th century. As with other production centers in the region, it has probably gone through an “assembly line” of skilled tradesmen of different vendors within the local market producing different components and pieced together (bladesmith, silversmith, leatherworker, handle carver, etc.).

As for the blade angle and hilt material, I have attached more photos. The handle is of rhino, not too translucent, only on the outer edges as the horn is quite thick. I have another gile similar although not as elaborate, while most are made of a hardwood, some are horn. The blade is similar to Yemeni jambiya without the large medial ridge through the entirety. The medial ridge here stops short of the point with two concavities present on either side of the ridge. This type of blade can also be seen in Afar spearheads. Here is an example from the British Museum showing a spear blade in similar form. https://www.britishmuseum.org/collec...Af1913-1211-39

-Geoffrey
Attached Images

Old 6th November 2023, 09:41 PM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Geoffrey, thanks for those well supported comments. A Yemeni influenced, locally made gile makes sense for the reasons you note.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 10:02 PM   #10
roanoa

Amazing. Keeping in mind that most of the silverwork found in Eritrea comes from Yemen (just across the Red Sea), it is no surprise that the silver decorations found on daggers/knives from the Afar/Dankali clans can be traced there. I agree that in this particular case, we can talk about an Yemeni Jambiya influence. Certainly in the blade shape. Nevertheless, I believe this 3example to be "African" more than "Asian (Arabian)". I wish to add pictures of an unusually "silver rich" Gile of mine.i
Attached Images

roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2023, 04:35 PM   #11
G. Mansfield

Thank you for sharing those beautiful giles from your collection, Ron. I am assuming it is the same one that was previously sold at Czerny's Auction? Note the similarities, including the inset glass beads also seen on Arabian dharia. Is the blade made from a file on your example?
Attached Images

Last edited by G. Mansfield; 8th December 2023 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Error
Old 7th December 2023, 11:56 PM   #12
roanoa

Yrs, that's where it came from. Great unusual piece.
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote