Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2022, 04:51 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Very Nice Dha/Daab

Here is a lovely old 19th Century dha/daab sword that I attribute to the Shan of Burma, or possibly Thailand. It is a lovely piece overall, but the silversmithing of the mounts is just magnificent. It's the best quality of silver work I have seen on a Burmese sword. The hilt's pommel cap or finial is beautifully done, as is each of the mounts. Even each silver band, which would typically be plain silver, is heavily and delicately worked. The silver is pure, heavy, and thick. Note also the silver locket which is rather rare. The blade is tempered halfway through its width. It is a heavy, thick blade with a very narrow, almost negligible, fuller towards the spine. While this sword could absolutely be a fighting piece based on the quality of the blade, I have to think it was primarily for dress wear due to such elegant mounts.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2022, 11:12 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I love the silver work and carving. This is the best repousse work I have ever seen on a dha!

I remember this up close and it is more impressive in person.

Could the plain bands be later additions?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2022, 11:49 AM   #3
CharlesS

Hi Battara,

There are no plain bands. Each of the bands is carefully worked. You can see them in some of the close-ups.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2022, 12:01 PM   #4
kai

Smile

I guess Jose is referring to the shiny bands next to the ivory grip.

They do look intentional to me though. Maybe some low-carat gold alloy?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2022, 10:48 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Gorgeous daab ...

Hi Charles.

Beautiful daab. The ivory carving and metalwork are all first class. Just a magnificent piece of workmanship. The hilt is very reminiscent of Burmese work, and might be Burmese in origin, but the length of the hilt is longer than on most Burmese swords which suggests to me more of a Thai/Lao origin, hence a daab. The blade with its small fullers and pointed tip also looks Thai/Lao, and not a typical Burmese style.

The heavy repoussed silver work would be unusual for Shan work, who usually favor filigree styles on swords and scabbards, but more in line with Lao silver work I think.

I would suggest this is N. Thai or Lao in origin, perhaps with a Burmese ivory hilt (although there were talented ivory carvers in the same area of Thailand/Laos capable of doing this work). I'm not sure how much Shan work went into this one.

Congrats on owning this lovely sword!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote