Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th April 2014, 04:43 AM   #1
DaveS

Default Twist-core with two piece ivory cockatoo

Here is a moro kris with a very subtle kind of twist-core. Blade is 21 inches long and the twist is not easy to see. The interesting about this piece is that the ivory pommel is made from two pieces put together with gold pins. On the back to the front, there are holes that might have held a strip of maybe silver or something else, although there is no evidence that anything was ever laid around the top of the pommel. No Scabbard. Anyone have any ideas about what these holes might have been used for...........Dave.
Attached Images

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello Dave,

very nice kris! I think you are correct, there may has been a strip of silver, gold or suassa to cover the space between the two plates of the pommel. Which material are the other metal fittings at the handle?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 03:08 PM   #3
kino

DaveS, maybe the 2 slabs wasn't intentional, it might have been an accident which was caused by the series of holes drilled along the perimeter of the kakatua. The holes caused a weakness in the ivory, a crack just happened along and split the ivory.
If it was intentional, I thought the mating of the 2 slabs would have a better fit, almost seamless. I've highlighted the area of the photo where the split veers off to the side, not a straight line as one might think if it was intentional.

I agree that there was a decorative strip of metal along the top.

DaveS, I didn't see you at the show on Sat. Did you attend?
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 03:15 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Dave, to my eye it does not look like this pommel was intentionally made in two pieces. This looks like an elaborate repair job to me. If you look carefully at the line of the joining, while generally straight it makes too many slight adjustments back and forth to have been fitted together from to originally separate pieces. The line also isn't exactly centered either and on the back end under the tail takes a turn to the right. I'm pretty sure this pommel started as one-piece of ivory.
I agree with Detlef that the holes along the top probably once held a metal strip that was meant to help hide the repair.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 07:35 PM   #5
DaveS

Detlef: The bands are silver. It's hard to say if there was a piece of silver around the pommel. Usually you can see a color difference where there was something laid on top of something else, but i can't see any color difference here. Albert: I think you might be right. after looking at it a little closer it does indeed look to be a mostly clean split except where you highlighted. No, we didn't go to the Reno show, although looking back i kinda wish we did. Did Lee and John have any good moro stuff? David: Again it's hard to say if there was a strip that covered the split. The patina looks the same on the ivory so it's really hard to tell if it was covered..........Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 03:12 PM   #6
kino

I should have taken a closer look at this last week, there were too many distractions on your display table.

Still making my way back home. Custom knives were the bulk of Lee's items, he didn't bring any of his Moro stuff. John- yes! I'll email you when I get home.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote