Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th February 2022, 10:25 AM   #1
Jack Fletcher

Default High status beja Kaskara

Good Morning

Thought I would share my latest additional and see if anyone on the group can add to it.

Starting with the blade thats 34inch, has a very well formed fuller, small ricasso and nice tapering leading me to believe this a trade blade,
crossguard has a dark patina on it, well constructed and nice little details on the langets and quillions. Handle has some very nice silver work, pommel had a wrap of croc skin but made up of leather with what I believe is a jade finial. From the type of tassle I presume its a beja example.

The sheath leather has perished in places, has silver patterned loops and a really nice silver chap with some gold. The question mark looking symbol ive seen on other swords but not sure if it has some significance.

All comments welcome.
Attached Images

Jack Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2022, 03:45 PM   #2
BBJW

Is the grip aluminum?-- bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2022, 03:50 PM   #3
Jack Fletcher

No definitely silver be it a thin layer thats been wrapped over a traditional wooden handle.
Old 18th February 2022, 04:13 PM   #4
Edster

Hello Jack,

Nice addition to your kaskara collection. The blade & crossguard are nicely mated and likely late 19th C. Have you looked under the langets for a European maker's mark?

The silver on the grip looks over cleaned and is likely a much later addition. Usually a silvered grip has silver on the pommel as well with yours lacks. I've never seen a stone as a finial. Also, the tassel looks tatty, just wrapped cord and not braided as a traditional Beja one.

The gold on the sheath's chap are new to me, seem to be a later addition and not in the design of the chap. Also, there is a small strip on the sheath below the silver top piece that looks like the original piece was replaced.

The symbol on the chap looks like a stylized Arabic number 6. No doubt had an earlier meaning.

The sheath's suspension rings are a high class detail and not usually encountered.

Best,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2022, 05:19 PM   #5
Oliver Pinchot

The character at the top of the chape is an Arabic kho
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2022, 05:26 PM   #6
Jack Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster View Post
Hello Jack,

Nice addition to your kaskara collection. The blade & crossguard are nicely mated and likely late 19th C. Have you looked under the langets for a European maker's mark?

The silver on the grip looks over cleaned and is likely a much later addition. Usually a silvered grip has silver on the pommel as well with yours lacks. I've never seen a stone as a finial. Also, the tassel looks tatty, just wrapped cord and not braided as a traditional Beja one.

The gold on the sheath's chap are new to me, seem to be a later addition and not in the design of the chap. Also, there is a small strip on the sheath below the silver top piece that looks like the original piece was replaced.

The symbol on the chap looks like a stylized Arabic number 6. No doubt had an earlier meaning.

The sheath's suspension rings are a high class detail and not usually encountered.

Best,
Ed
Hi Ed

As always really appreciate your input. So ive checked thoroughly and cant find any markings at all on the blade but it definitely is a very well made one indeed but potentially might not be European and maybe ottoman? I agree someone has had a good clean on the silver which is a shame and can see what you mean about the strip on the sheath and also about the gold being an addition that doesn't fit with the rest of the chap design.

I do love the pommel especially as can see the build up of the layers and the jade finial addition I love plus the suspension rings are pretty neat.

The tassle is very tatty but can see it was braided at one point and ive looked closely and the colour on the inside is a very nice lilac type colour which i will try grab additional photos of.
Old 19th February 2022, 05:37 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
The silver on the grip looks over cleaned and is likely a much later addition.
Just wait a few weeks and it's tarnished again!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 04:49 PM   #8
Jack Fletcher

Quote:
Hello Jack,

Best,
Ed
Sorry for the delay but here's a better look at the tassel and the colour it must have been before it faded thats a lovely purple colour
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2022, 10:17 PM   #9
Edster

Jack,

The tassel still looks off-spec to me. Also, purple doesn't seem to be in the Beja's palette.

Attached are a couple of pics that show tassels of different ages and the details of the wrap and braid.

Regards,
Ed
Attached Images

Old 25th February 2022, 06:03 AM   #10
drdavid

I suspect chrysoprase (found in Tanzania) rather than jade which is more typically east asia or mezoamerica
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 09:04 AM   #11
Jack Fletcher

Quote:
Jack,

The tassel still looks off-spec to me. Also, purple doesn't seem to be in the Beja's palette.

Attached are a couple of pics that show tassels of different ages and the details of the wrap and braid.

Regards,
Ed
Yes can see what you mean with the difference but the tassle on this clearly has been on it for some time to completely fade the colour like it has. Any idea why its on there or tribe if not beja?
Old 25th February 2022, 01:00 PM   #12
Edster

Sorry, Jack, I can't help you there.
Ed
Old 25th February 2022, 03:42 PM   #13
Tim Simmons

The stone? / glass has bubbles in it?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote