Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st May 2007, 08:02 AM   #31
brekele

Uhh! The subject is getting hot and harder for me
I better listen explanations from those Docters Keris.

But Dave, the blade I posted is not recently maduranese creation. ( )
Common Dave!
But it's oke, I guess you and me don't have good eyes like Super(p)man.

Thanks Marcokeris for book's shop informations.
Those books are nice but those CDs are made me skyping a friend in Bali.
brekele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 09:05 AM   #32
A. G. Maisey

With respect Pangeran Datu, I disagree with you.

You have put forward a hypothetical argument based in logic, and from a purely logical basis, I am not able to disagree with you.But that logic is hypothetical, and measured against the reality of the keris in differing cultural contexts, it does not stand.

Even within Jawa there is disagreement as to the what the exact features are which should be present for a keris to conform to a particular dhapur, even within Jawa, it is safer to use the features contained in a keris to describe that keris, rather than to use a dhapur designation.Unless, of course, you are able to quote the pakem, thus you would describe the form as, for instance:- "sinom robyong, in accordance with (whatever) pakem".

When we move into a different culture, and we look at a keris which is not a Javanese keris, but that keris contains features that are also able to be found in a Javanese keris, then it is clearly erroneous to describe that keris from Sulawesi, or Sumatra, or Lombok in terms applicable to a Javanese keris. It is not a Javanese keris, thus it cannot be described as one. The names of the various ricikan in keris from various areas are often different from the names used in Jawa for those ricikan. Similarly, the names used to describe the keris form are often different from the name for a Javanese keris containing the same features, but with different names.The names of the various features , or ricikan, in a keris blade have everyday meanings, for instance, a "sogokan" is a long stick that you push things with, a "blumbangan" is a pond, and so on. These names of the keris features make sense to a Javanese person because he can see the connection between the name of the feature, and that thing in the real world. However, to somebody in another culture, using a different language, the Javanese names of the features could well make about as much sense as they do to a native English speaker. Thus, you will find that although the features in keris blades across several cultures could all be the same, the names of those features will sometimes vary.As the names of the features (ricikan) vary, so do the names of the forms (dhapur) carrying those features, and the word used in a local language to describe the form itself is no longer a Javanese word, but a word that is intelligible to the local user of that word.Thus, Lalu Djelengga, being from Lombok, uses (I guess) a Sasak word instead of Indonesian (bentuk) or Javanese (dhapur) when he is referring to keris from Lombok.

In respect of word meanings.

In Modern Javanese "dhapur" means "shape, form, design".

The word "dapur" does not exist in Javanese, it is an Indonesian word that means "kitchen".

The word "bentuk" is an Indonesian word that means "shape, form"; this word does not exist in Javanese.

The word "angun-angunan" is a problem. I really do not understand this word, so I am assuming it is a Sasak word which is a synonym of the Indonesian "bentuk" and the Javanese "dhapur", which is the context in which Djelengga has supplied it. In Javanese "angun", or "angun-angun" can mean a bull or it can mean wild; it is not a word found in Indonesian. Angun, angun-angun, and angun-angunan appear not to exist in Old Javanese.

I do not believe that we have any need to go back to olden times to understand what a modern author wrote in the 20th or 21st century. Lalu Djelengga gave us a choice of three words, all appearing to mean the same thing:- "bentuk" if we are speaking Indonesian, "dhapur" if we are speaking Javanese, or "angun-angunan" if we are speaking Sasak ( I assume). What he actually presents is a heading to a series of matrices which form a pakem; this heading reads:- NAMA DAN UNSUR CIRI (RICIKAN) BENTUK/ANGUN-ANGUNAN (DHAPUR).

Within the pakem supplied by Djelengga the keris form "sinom robyong" does not exist; the form "sinom" does, but not "sinom robyong".

Personally, I try to steer away from using Javanese words when I am talking about keris in English. Yes, I know, it can be very impressive to throw a whole heap of dhapurs and condong-leles and jejerans into one's discussion, if for no other reason than to remind people of one's erudition, but why use a Javanese word when there is a perfectly good English word, meaning the same thing, that everybody will understand without thinking? Why not use "form" instead of dhapur? Why not use "handle" instead of "ukiran" or "jejeran"?

I think I could precis my position on this matter by saying that I am of the opinion that we should try to maintain a degree of consistency in keris terminology which reflects the area of origin of the keris concerned, thus we would use Javanese terms for a Javanese keris, Sasak terms for a Lombok keris, and so on. Alternatively, we use English words which clearly convey our meaning to English speakers, and only use a Javanese/Balinese/Sasak word where we do not have an English word available. The only keris word I can think of that I do not have an English word available for is "gonjo".
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 01:48 PM   #33
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Alan, for this post on language as applied to the keris. It is really a facinating subject. I tend to agree with you that English, when possible, is a better choice in this context, though i actually prefer "hilt" to "handle".
Still, i am interested in learning traditional terminology whenever possible so i don't mind when people use such terms as long as they are willing to explain them. But there does seem to be a general "lazy" acceptance among keris collectors to default to Javanese terminology regardless of the origin of the blade. I agree that this is inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekele
But Dave, the blade I posted is not recently maduranese creation. ( )
Perhaps, Brek, you can share with us exactly where and when you believe this blade originates. Frankly the eyes of a "superman" has very little to do with such opinions. Photographs are never a very good way to judge a keris and people can be very easily fooled by them, even Superman . Also, smiths in Madura have become quite expert not only at mimicing other styles and time periods of keris making, but have great skill at making blades look old. I am basing my suspicions on this knowledge and the feeling that this keris doesn't look quite right to me in material and finish to be from Bali or Lombok. I could very easily be wrong about this, as there are too many factors out of hand and i am simply unable to judge accurately from an internet photo. But i am sincerely interested in hearing why you are so sure my suspicions are incorrect. How old do you believe this keris is and where was it forged?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 11:49 PM   #34
A. G. Maisey

Yeah, "hilt" is possibly more correct than "handle", when used in connection with an edged weapon. I guess you could probably put my preference for "handle" down to a bit of reverse snobbery.
Old 2nd May 2007, 03:13 AM   #35
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yeah, "hilt" is possibly more correct than "handle", when used in connection with an edged weapon. I guess you could probably put my preference for "handle" down to a bit of reverse snobbery.
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:58 PM   #36
brekele

Dave, yes of course i can share with you about where and when i believed this blade is ASLIES (ASLIES=ASLI+YES). Sorry for using my own word, because your word ORIGINATES wasn't in dictionary.

Friend of mine brought this blade by the time Lombok's coffee morning is not finish yet. The blade was dirty, first exprescion in head was stranged about this blade and then suspicion for few seconds. About 2 minits later my feeling was changed and starting to belived that the blade is old (80%).
And then someone clean that blade.
After cleaned then of course i believed the blade is old.
Dave, i looked again...from Pasikutan, i guess this blade is tangguh nom-noman
(Bali).
Also according to blade's material + feeling of my NEW KNOWLEDGE about keris.
(Finally, surely answer is came out by other keris forum in Indonesia).

Dave, i knew some of keris dealers from Madura based in my hometown Surabaya (Jawa). I hang out with them and learn.
So, I knew their blades Dave.
Many blades are good too (hi...just my taste).

BTW, Dave....honestly i like to read words of those doctors keris .
but you just broke them up
Ya, It's oke. I knew you are the bos in your own forum beside Rick.

Last edited by brekele; 2nd May 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 2nd May 2007, 02:23 PM   #37
David
Keris forum moderator

"Originate" means place of origin; where is it from? Do you think this keris was made in Lombok, Bali, Jawa....? You say that it is "from Pasikutan", but "Pasikutan" as i understand it is a form of measurement, not a place (from the tip of the finger to the elbow), so perhaps this is just a mistake you made in translation. I don't think we can successfully apply the concept of tangguh to this blade, especially if it did not originate from Jawa. Still a nom-nomon keris would be considered by many to be a relatively recent keris, wouldn't it?
As i already stated, you might well be correct about this blade, and you are certainly welcome to your opinion. I still remain suspicious, especially given the very unusual blade form, one i have never seen before with this mixture of features. This is a tendency i have noted in some modrn keris making, combining features to form new "dhapur" which have led us to a major question in this thread: What do we call it?
I am a bit confused by your last remarks. I am glad you are enjoying "reading the words of the doctors keris" , whoever they are , but i have hardly done anything to discourge the conversation in this thread. You posted these keris and i have been addressing my comment to them in an attempt to answer your questions, but the wide range of discussion here, especially tangents on language and usage, have been welcomed and encouraged by me. I have done nothing to break them up. I am sorry if you do not like or disagree with my personal observations, but they are what they are. If you have any problems with my moderator skills please feel free to discuss them with me in private messaging.
Old 2nd May 2007, 02:37 PM   #38
brekele

Ohh no...!, Dave please ...this is too long for me to understand.
Your words is difficult.
I'm not good in English, please use simple words .

Last edited by brekele; 2nd May 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 2nd May 2007, 06:34 PM   #39
David
Keris forum moderator

Sorry Brekele, i will do my best.
Simply put, i still think this last keris you have posted is a fairly recent one. You do not. That is OK, we all believe what we will.
I am still curious where you think this blade was made. Lombok, Bali, Jawa, Madura...??? Pasikutan is the length of the keris so it is not from there.
Tangguh is a system meant for high level Jawa keris. I don't think it can be properly applied to your keris. Even so, Nom-Noman is a fairly recent tangguh.
When a keris contains many unusual ricikan as this one does it makes me suspicious. Have you ever seen another keris in this form before? Is it in anyone's Pakem? If it truly is old and rare i think any smart keris dealer could have sold it for quite a lot of money. Ask yourself (don't tell us )how much you paid for it.
I hope this is clearer. Please ask questions if you don't understand my meanings.
Old 3rd May 2007, 08:05 AM   #40
brekele

When a keris contains many unusual ricikan as this one does it makes me suspicious. Have you ever seen another keris in this form before? Is it in anyone's Pakem?

Dave, I told you before, I was also suspicion when first time I saw it because never see keris blade like this before.

If it truly is old and rare i think any smart keris dealer could have sold it for quite a lot of money.

Dave, I bought this blade from a friend who dont know much about keris. But he know if a keris is old or new, that's all. He is more a keris villages hunter in Lombok, And sell keris he got to those local keris collectors/big dealers.

Ask yourself (don't tell us )how much you paid for it.

Of course I won't tell you again, no more mistakes for twice.
And I do not need to ask my self for price of this kind of blade, because I deal with a right guy and fair/perfect price.
Now, this keris is sold for fair price also.
Actually, there are two pieces of this kind of blade from my friend. The other one is smaller also with ada ada's luk shape. He got those blades from a big balinese (farmer) family in Lombok.

I hope this is clearer. Please ask questions if you don't understand my meanings. [/QUOTE]

Yes yes Dave, I will ask you something because some tools in your forum stil confused me. But I will try to find out first before I ask you.

Dave, sorry for my English a bit confused you.
I try to correct it.

It's not from Pasikutan but according Pasikutan (i hope better now).
Pasikutan= showing character of keris in every era/tangguh.

Hi Alan, how are you today?
Hi P.Datu, how are you today?
Hi Alam, long time no see? Are you stil meditation or learn those malay's song?
hmmm...Siti Nurhalisa had good songs

Last edited by brekele; 3rd May 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 3rd May 2007, 01:51 PM   #41
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekele
Yes yes Dave, I will ask you something because some tools in your forum stil confused me. But I will try to find out first before I ask you.
Yes, please fell free...though i am still learning some of thes etools myself.
Don't worry, if i don't know how something works Rick will for sure.
Old 3rd May 2007, 08:57 PM   #42
A. G. Maisey

I have so far stayed out of this discussion, principally because I cannot see much point to it. However, right now it seems to be going in circles, so I will say a word or two.

When I see a picture of a blade, especially an internet picture, what I see is only form.

I know that I cannot rely on the colour I see; I have no idea as to its weight, its texture, its topographic relief. I can sometimes get some sort of an idea of the quality and style of workmanship, but not often.

From what I can see on the computer screen, all I can really trust is the form of the blade.

The blade that is being discussed appears to be a fairly large blade with a twist pamor and some unusual features .

The pesi is distorted and distressed.

Overall condition appears to be good with some minor distress.

We know that keris culture in Lombok is not so deeply entrenched in formal standards as it is in Jawa and Bali.

We know that the people of Lombok often have a preference for blades which display unusual features.

We know that this twist pamor which on Lombok is called "tambangan badung" is highly favoured by the people of Lombok.

On the face of it, this keris could well be an original Lombok blade.

However.

The point at which the pesi enters the gonjo appears to display the characteristic decline of current era keris with a Madura heritage.

The pesi is extremely distressed, far too much so for normal aging.

We know that the Madura craftsmen use published photos as source material for new creations.

We know that it is easier to sell a keris that is a little bit out of the ordinary in form, irrespective of quality of execution.

In Djelengga we can find pictures of Lombok keris showing similar features to the features of the keris under discussion.

We have been told how and where the keris was sourced, but this must be disregarded for the same reasons that we must disregard all undocumented stories when we undertake an objective assessment.

To sum up:- this is a keris with some unusual features which might be a recent creation, and equally might be an original Lombok keris, but upon the evidence presented which is only a series of internet pictures, I for one am not able to form an opinion either way.

May I suggest that we simply acknowledge that this is a rather unique keris , and even though the workmanship is fairly shoddy, and condition does leave something to be desired, it is worthy of collection if for no other reason than its previously mentioned unique features.
Old 4th May 2007, 08:13 AM   #43
brekele

Hi Alan, thank you for your fair and educate explanations for this blade's subject.
I appreciate for it. Niiiiiiiiiiiice!

hmmm...Alan? Alan? hmm... Alan? hhmmmm....
Alan, your name is remind me a western man sitting among those Lombok's
antiques dealers and explain something to them.
Uhh! back again in Bali 12 - 15 years ago.

aaahh, I wish the western men before is the men who just..................
Uuuuh, Niiiiiiiiiiice .

Again, Thank you Alan.

BREKELE.
Old 4th May 2007, 01:53 PM   #44
David
Keris forum moderator

Brekele, i am glad you were able to follow and understand Alan's detailed explanation, especially since it was in essence a longer and more detailed explanation of my own veiwpoint. Your English must be getting better.
BTW, though i didn't say it before, i also think this keris to be "worthy of collection" inspite of it's problems.
Old 5th May 2007, 07:39 AM   #45
brekele

Your English must be getting better.

Dave, I just hope that my English is getting better, That's why I want always
to look/read at dictionary again. But honestly is hard. Because my head
full/mix up with 3 other languages beside Indonesian and Jawa languages.
And now Deutsch is even harder than English for me, 5 years I learn but
come up nothing.

Dave, thank you for hang out with me in last moment in this subject.
I wish someday we can met somewhere on beautiful Lombok Island, Bali or
Jawa .Wherever you want to chose those 3 Islands, and talk about

ROCK N' KRIS

and drink coconut's water.

Again, Thank you Dave.
BREKELE

Old 5th May 2007, 08:16 AM   #46
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, i am not convinced about the coconut water part, but it certainly is my dream to visit those islands for sure!
I have heard that English is the hardest language to learn for those not raised speaking it so i have much respect for your efforts. I am glad this forum has helped you get better at it.
Old 7th May 2007, 07:24 PM   #47
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

In this blade I see a bearded man wearing a robe and a head cloth; he is in a position of bowing respectfully; his shadow before him , he is outlined in bright pamor on the upper right hand side of the blade.

This is fun !
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 7th May 2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: clarity
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 12:08 AM   #48
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
In this blade I see a bearded man wearing a robe and a head cloth; he is in a position of bowing respectfully; his shadow before him , he is outlined in bright pamor on the upper right hand side of the blade.

This is fun !
Hmmm... I see a woman bending over wearing a head-dress (possibly Minang style) handling a baby, nappy change, perhaps... hmmm...
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 12:13 AM   #49
A. G. Maisey

Rows and floes of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons evrywhere
Ive looked at clouds that way

Clouds---keris---what's the difference?

All in the mind.
Old 8th May 2007, 03:17 AM   #50
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Rows and floes of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons evrywhere
Ive looked at clouds that way
I love that song....
Old 8th May 2007, 04:18 AM   #51
A. G. Maisey

Have you heard the Dengue Fever version?

Definitely something different.
Old 8th May 2007, 04:53 AM   #52
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Have you heard the Dengue Fever version?

Definitely something different.
Does it go something like this Alan ?

"Blood flows from my eyes and ears ...
And I'm feeling mighty queer ......."
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 05:19 AM   #53
A. G. Maisey

Yeah, that's one sort of dengue fever---demam berdarah.

But the one I'm talking about is this one:-

http://denguefevermusic.com/

unique sound; not quite for everybody.
Old 10th May 2007, 01:49 AM   #54
David
Keris forum moderator

It's funny how once you see something for the first time it pops up again. Here are pics of a keris that just finished on eBay.
I must say that to my eye this one appears to be more authentic to the Bali/Lombok style of keris making, but who knows.
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2007, 05:33 AM   #55
Megantoro

Ra mudgengke
Megantoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 01:43 PM   #56
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megantoro
Ra mudgengke
Welcome Megantoro. This is an English language forum. Could you please translate this?
Old 11th May 2007, 09:21 AM   #57
brekele

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Welcome Megantoro. This is an English language forum. Could you please translate this?
Dave, I guess this words (ra mudgengke) came from words (ora mudeng) it means not clear and confused in Javanese languages, but ra mudgengke it could be also the Central Javanese languages for young people (slang) for something which is not in the mood for their group or Gangster.
I try to help you but if it is wrong than I appologise for it.
The guy might have another meaning for it.
Old 26th May 2007, 10:15 AM   #58
brekele

Default Is it Raja Gundala?

Hi Guys, I would like to ask you something.
Do you see PICTURES on the blade? Because I saw some pictures. Kind of human sitting.
Is it Raja Gundala ?

Thanks
bre
Attached Images