Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 29th June 2016, 08:35 AM   #1
BANDOOK

Default WILKINSON CEREMONIAL SWORD

PLEASE COULD SOME ONE BE ABLE TO DATE MY WILKINSON CEREMONIAL SWORD,WAS TOLD WAS MADE AROUND 1910 WHEN I BOUGHT IT ABOUT 10 YEARS BACK
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This cavalry officers M1822 pattern was in use an incredibly long time, and was officially taken out of service in 1896. In 1912 the full bowl type officers swords for cavalry became regulation pattern.
However, officers had of course greater latitude in choice of weapons, and the larger 1912 hilt was a saddle mount sword, so for dress or parade these three bar hilts remained in use well into the 20th century.

The 1910 date seems reasonable, however I am puzzled by the stark nature of the forte marking. Usually Wilkinson swords had the surround and flourish with note of appointment as official makers to the monarch of the time.
Edward VII died in 1910, with George V becoming king that year, but does not seem that would cause departure from normal marking practice .

I don't have my references on British swords with me presently, so hopefully others can say more. I personally suspect this is a more modern production, and surprised the usual serialization is not present as well as more embellished blade motif.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 12:06 PM   #3
BANDOOK

THANKS JIM FOR YOUR COMMENTS
THIS IS THE ONLY OTHER MARKING WHICH I SEE ON THE BACK EDGE JUST IN FRONT OF THE LEATHER WASHER SAYS
MADE IN ENGLAND
POSTING PICTURES FOR YOUR REFERNCE,SOMEONE WHO KNOWS MORE ABOUT ENGLISH AND WILKINSON SWORDS COULD TELL MORE
KIND REGARDS RAJESH
Attached Images

Old 30th June 2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Richard G

Variations of the 1822 pattern sword continued, and are still the pattern, for Artillery officers and various other Corps, such as Logistics.
I believe Wikinson finally folded in 2005.
I also believe they made many swords based on British patterns for export.
Not much, but it might help.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 06:56 PM   #5
thinreadline

I dont like to make pronouncements on weapons authenticity without having them in my hand. However the Wilkinson logo is not typical of that normally encountered , There should be a 'star with brass centre' proof mark on the ricasso and I would expect the blade to be decorated with foliar patterns Also ALL Wilkinson swords are numbered . A lot of copies of Wilkinson swords came out of India in the 1970s / 80s mostly retailed through a well known British firm in the Midlands.

Pictures of markings , numbering and decoration of a genuine sword of your pattern are given .
Attached Images

Last edited by thinreadline; 1st July 2016 at 12:23 AM.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:50 AM   #6
BANDOOK

Default ANOTHER WILKINOSN IN MY COLLECTION

THIS IS ANOTHER WILKINSON SWORD WHICH IS A MODERN ONE MADE FOR THE SINGAPORE POLICE
THE TEMASEK SWORD OF THE SINGAPORE POLICE FORCE-MILLENNIUM EDITION
HAS LOT OF ORNATE WORK THROUGHOUT THE BLADE ON EITHER SIDES
REGARDS
Attached Images

Old 3rd July 2016, 09:52 AM   #7
BANDOOK

SOME MORE PICTURES
Attached Images

Old 3rd July 2016, 10:47 AM   #8
kronckew

did wilkinson make rat-tail tangs welded to a short wider tang like the 'singapore' above? compare the wilkinson markings on the real ones by others above, the singapore one looks like a poor etched copy. again no proof star & brass slug or serial no.s. the 'made in england' - did the real wilkinson ever put that on a blade?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 04:42 PM   #9
Will M

Wilkinson did stop using the proof disc for a cost saving measure, I don't have the date of this off hand. However Wilkinsons made swords other then their "best" having no proof disc as seen with this 1910 era sword.
You can still purchase copies of the 1831p mameluke sword with Wilkinson on the blade but these are made in China. The "Made in China" marking on the blade is very lightly acid etched in black onto the plating. The slightest touch to a buffing wheel would easily removes this.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 10:48 AM   #10
BANDOOK

THANKS WILL M,ITS GOOD INFORMATION,HAVE HAD THIS SWORD FOR SOME TIME NOW,AND WAS FEELING BAD I BOUGHT A FAKE ONE,BUT THE INFO YOU PROVIDED HAS CHANGED MY THOUGHTS.I TOOK IT TO A LOCAL AUCTION HOUSE IN AUCKLAND WHICH SELLS LOTS OF MILITARIA AND THE EXPERT HAS CONFIRMED THAT ITS A GENUINE ONE AND THEY HAVE SOLD SUCH SWORDS IN THE PAST,AND ASKED ME IF I WANTED TO PUT IT IN THE NEXT MILITARIA AUCTIONS,WHICH I REFUSED,CHEERS