Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th July 2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Question Game, What's Different About This Bolo ???

Though it does not look like it there is something very unusual about this bolo/itak. I will be chemically removing the plating after it has arrived. This is going to be a game to see who can tell what the big difference about this is first. Good luck and have fun!!!

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 07:45 AM   #2
russel

Black coral?
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Though it would be great if it were black coral the hilt is made from buffalo horn, but good guess.

Best,
Robert

Last edited by Robert; 25th July 2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 25th July 2014, 08:49 AM   #4
russel

Ah... It's rather small isn't it?
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Give that man a cigar !! That is exactly what is unusual about this, it is the smallest one of these that I have seen with detailing of this quality. Here is a photo that shows the scabbard for an idea of its actual size. It has a total length of only 7 inches. I will post photos of it next to a ruler after it arrives.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Old 25th July 2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Sajen

What a beautiful "bolo". The mounts seems to be from silver and the leather embossing is extremly well done! Robert, please don't forget to show us some better pictures after removing the blade plating and after you have given it a little bit care!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Detlef, I will be very happy to post more photos of this after it has arrived and I have had a chance to clean it up a bit. I am hoping that the mounts are silver as I have always wanted one of this style (really any style) with silver mounts. Because of the auction photos and the detailing I thought that it might take longer for someone to notice that it is a very small example. With the quality of workmanship put into this piece and the functional belt I am wondering if this was originally meant to be used (concealed under clothing) in the manner of boot/ankle knives, the small daggers that were said to be carried by ladies of the evening years ago, or if is just a very well made miniature meant for display only? All opinions on this or any other comments that are offered would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Robert
Old 29th July 2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Just a quick update on this piece, it has arrived and as I had hoped the fittings are indeed made from silver. I will post more photos after the stripping agent has arrived (I had hoped that it would be here before the knife) and I have had a chance to remove the chrome plating from the blade. Only one small bug hole in the horn hilt that can easily be filled with cutler's resin. The finely tooled leather scabbard is in great condition with the only flaw being the one spot shown it the pictures and another on the belt where a mouse decided to find out if it would make a tasty meal or not. Thankfully it must not have been much to its liking or it probably would have been completely destroyed.

Best,
Robert
Old 29th July 2014, 08:02 PM   #9
Sajen

Hello Robert,

great that the fittings are from silver like I have supposed and that the "bolo" is in such a good condition. I am curious to see pictures after you have maintained it.

Best regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote