Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th September 2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Kmaddock

Default Spear head identification table/guide?

Hi
I was wondering if there is a good venue/site for identification of spear heads.

I do not like putting up threads all the time with "what spear head do you think this might be" as I like to try and participate more that just asking what I have?

I was hoping to identify a head I just purchased and started to think about such a guide, I regularly go through the archive of Lews sold page as i find there is a huge range of african knives etc that i can peruse in one go (with pictures) to try and identify what I have.

Is there a book or thread on the forum where a vast array of spears is all in one area to go through trying to find images of what I may or may not have.

When you put a search for spear head you literally get 100's of threads which are next to impossible to sort out out. My new acquisition is still alluding me from such thread perusal.

Many thanks,

Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 07:03 PM   #2
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmaddock
Hi
I was wondering if there is a good venue/site for identification of spear heads.

I do not like putting up threads all the time with "what spear head do you think this might be" as I like to try and participate more that just asking what I have?

I was hoping to identify a head I just purchased and started to think about such a guide, I regularly go through the archive of Lews sold page as i find there is a huge range of african knives etc that i can peruse in one go (with pictures) to try and identify what I have.

Is there a book or thread on the forum where a vast array of spears is all in one area to go through trying to find images of what I may or may not have.

When you put a search for spear head you literally get 100's of threads which are next to impossible to sort out out. My new acquisition is still alluding me from such thread perusal.

Many thanks,

Ken
Ken, you may as well post it, that is what we are here for isnt it? I use Pinterest for storing images related to Indo-Persian spears / lances etc. This is the best method I know of, it is quite useful for reference purposes.

The same thing can be done for spears from other cultures.

https://www.pinterest.com/worldantiq...s-and-javelin/
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 09:29 PM   #3
shayde78

I agree this would be very helpful. I, too, often feel bad about opening a new thread to ask "what's this", although that rarely stops me for long!
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Iain

At least regarding African spears I highly recommend Wolf's website: http://www.africanarms.com as a starting point.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 11:02 PM   #5
silberschatzimsee

Funny coincidence. I also bought a indian spearhead recently and i am currently researching it.

Was planning to share my results later this month.
silberschatzimsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Kmaddock

Iain
Thanks for tat great link, lots to check through there
Regards
Ken
Old 28th September 2017, 10:22 AM   #7
kronckew

i generally use google images with the site:vikingsword.com parameter to get an overview looking for something similar, then using the image to drill down to the post it appeared in. ie. google "spear site:vikingsword.com" produces a vast set of images for reference.

screenshot:
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 11:18 AM   #8
Kmaddock

Hi Kronckew,
That is v v useful, still haven't found image of my spear head though
I might be able to take some pictures tonight
regards
Ken
Old 28th September 2017, 11:31 AM   #9
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
i generally use google images with the site:vikingsword.com parameter to get an overview looking for something similar, then using the image to drill down to the post it appeared in. ie. google "spear site:vikingsword.com" produces a vast set of images for reference.

screenshot:
An often overlooked resource for sure.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 12:11 AM   #10
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
I do searches like this so very often.
Probably 5 searches just last night.

Have fun,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote