Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th May 2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Question Question of Spear origins

The unusual form prompted me enough to add it to the spear collection.

The thrusting tip does have some similarities to Song Dynasty spear heads but that's all I have turned up thus far.

Any one aware of the origins of this spear? An ID would be appreciated.

It is 8'6", the butt is a bronze cap and that's all I know other than the tip looks slightly off centre and the patina is very old. At the tip, I see a hint of an exposed tang going in to the wood but I am uncertain if this is so or if it is just age timber looking this way.

The images are the best I can do for now.

Gav
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 6th May 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default BUMP!

No takers...guesses...points of interest for further research?
Old 10th May 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Nathaniel

That is a hard one Gavin. Not much info out there on Chinese polearms or pole arms in general so much attention usually goes towards swords, knives, and guns.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Nathaniel

Song dynasty spear. Any pictures or references?

Is the spear very heavy? Does it seem like the tang runs far into the shaft....perhaps through the entire piece?
Old 10th May 2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Nathaniel

How long is the spear head?
Old 11th May 2011, 03:42 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default Length

Thanks Nathaniel,

I will know more on the length of the head when in hand some time away.
There is so little info on spears in general unless they're African, that I find unusual versions very interesting and the numbers at home are growing.
I do not think this is Chinese at all, just noting similar shaping to the head. The bronze butt is similar to Moro profiles but the large dome centre at the very end I can not recall seeing nor does the tip form fit Moro regions to my eyes.
Note too the thicker base area and tapering to the head, this too may indicate region

Gav
Old 11th May 2011, 12:57 PM   #7
katana

Gav,
this could be a lance....the POB would be a good indication (once you have it 'in hand' )

Interesting piece

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 01:42 PM   #8
colin henshaw

Hi

Interesting piece. I quite like spears, polearms etc., but as you say not much published on them. Anything in Stone's Glossary ?

It does have a bit of a Chinese look to me, coincidentally the ridged bronze ? sleeve near the point, reminds me of some handles on archaic Chinese swords...

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 02:16 PM   #9
koto

doesn't look like Chinese
koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 12:56 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Default your thoughts, thank you

David,

I think your notation of a lance rings more true than a spear when considering the thicker base of the shaft for counter balance and the tip more akin to armour piercing as is the way with cavalry lances. Interesting now to consider nations that used the horse more than foot in this instance...in my mind it rules out a lot of SEA countries, thank you.

Colin,

I had only looked at the spears pages closely and saw nothing similar but I have yet to thumb through the whole book as entries are often a surprise in his work, never where you'd expect them to be at face value so I will again have a look through.

Koto,

I agree, I do not think it is Chinese though it does have some interesting aspects that are seen on Chinese spear/pole weapons, that being a tang and a supportive collar under the blade to prevent the tang breaking out of the wood....though it lacks rivets typically seen at this point on those weapons. It is a rather unusual form, where do you think it might be from?

Gav

As an extra thought, the domed butt is more in line with something suitable in the saddle where infantry lances/spears typically had a butt spike.....

Last edited by freebooter; 12th May 2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: other thoughts
Old 13th May 2011, 03:22 PM   #11
katana

Gav,
without any evidence, my 'gut feeling' is that this is Indo persian and if so, likely 'pre' colonial (ie before the European type lance gained 'favour' ) There is a possibility that it could be used from an Elephant ....Indian elephants are smaller than their African brothers.

Regards David
Old 14th May 2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Gav,
without any evidence, my 'gut feeling' is that this is Indo persian and if so, likely 'pre' colonial (ie before the European type lance gained 'favour' ) There is a possibility that it could be used from an Elephant ....Indian elephants are smaller than their African brothers.

Regards David
David,

Very plausible origins.

Communications with another astute member also suggested India. I wasn't going to start in India as a point of elimination but since several notations 'suggest' India I have started there tonight.

Although not of the type, Elgood presents spear blades with tangs and collars as did another reference to boar hunting in India....all showing 'loosely' similar profiled collars o various degree but partial tangs rather than what appears to be a full tang on this piece...maybe a step closer.... .....

Thanks

Gav
Old 14th May 2011, 05:02 PM   #13
katana

G'day Gav,
This maybe Rajput ....the Sang often have the 'ringed collar' and usually a pronounced central rib. Although most Sang are 'all steel', some variants have a wooden shaft. Rajputs also used camels .....and many lances attributed to the 'camel cavalry' are 8 foot or so long.....a similar length to yours.

I am wondering whether the blade on yours was more leaf shaped and has had a later modification either through damage to one or both edges or as an improvement (perhaps to improve penetration) as yours still exibits a strong mid rib

Below is an image from Artzi's site, although this is a curved bladed version the ring collar is self evident.

Best
David
Attached Images

Old 26th September 2011, 06:23 AM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Default In the hand

Well I have had about 30 spears and pole arms arrive on Friday and I've been enjoying going over each one in detail and this spear is very interesting.

It is long and it is very thin but strong and flexible though I'm sure I could snap it over my knee with ease today but it would have served as a very efficient weapon in its day when stronger and more supple.

The head, collar and butt cap are all iron with a heavy but perfectly stable age patina and the head is lethal with great piercing ability by design and the edges are so fine they would have been like razors in the day.
The shaft is bamboo which has been fully wrapped with a fine fibrous material and then lacquered thickly to smooth the surface which also shows a painted surface, this alone can point to India for many but...I'll come to that in a second.
The fine head has the iron collar which is actually four pieces stacked atop each other and offers great support for the tang in such fine thin bamboo.

An interesting lance was offered to me on Saturday at the Brisbane arms fair, the size of a typical Sumatran lance on a thin light shaft, it had a head so very similar in design but created slightly different. The most interesting aspect I found was the brass collar it was sitting it, it carried designs that were clearly Thai to my eye....keeping this in mind, perhaps Thailand? It is after all, although in no way ruling out India, so very different from the heavy iron heads seen on the South Indian lances shown above...this thing is in the feather weight division by comparison.

Any thoughts more than welcome.

Gav
Old 12th October 2011, 03:11 AM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Thanks to those who have provided input this far....another step towards Thailand perhaps...I'm still looking down this road...

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=thailand

Note the spear of similar blade style, collar and thickness (and length if it rests on the ground) resting against this arch at the right (and one on the left)...

Has anyone other than Dan visited the Arms room of the Grand Palace Bangkok to comment first hand?? Nathaniel??
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2011, 04:37 AM   #16
Andrew

Gav, I'm going to throw out a suggestion based on my admittedly unscientific "gut" feeling--Cambodia...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 05:54 AM   #17
Nathaniel

Hello Gavin,

Missed your post on this thread otherwise I would have answered. Unfortunately, the three times we been to the Grand Palace, Chakri Maha Prasat hall that houses the arms room was closed. It's closed on the weekend and during the weekday it closes earlier than the temple of the Emerald Buddha which I did not know. I think if I remember right the building with the arms room might close by something like 3pm.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:33 AM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is really an interesting thread, so its good to see it back. I really have little knowledge on both the fields of spears and SE Asian weapons, but looked into Elgood ("Hindu Arms and Ritual") to see if anything relevant might be there.
On p.194 (19.13) a 'sang' type spear (with katar style head of Vellore gauntlet form) attributed probably to Mysore and late 16th century has these rings or collars on the socket and in the same illustration is a 'vel' with peepal leaf shaped head, to early 16th c.
It is noted that these collars, termed 'balls' in this text are called 'nala'. Apparantly these are decoration related to certain ankusa which are symbolic of royalty (op.cit. p.21) and much as on the 'vel' lance are stated to reflect the god Murukan.
Perhaps this decoration is significant in this regard?

On. p.192 spearheads in South India carry similar collars just below the flare of the head in varying spaced configuration apparantly the motif from 15th-16th century Vijayanagara. The design still popular during the Mysore wars of 18th century.

While it appears these collared sockets are prevalent in South India, as well of course as in Sri Lanka, it does seem quite possible that the influence might have extended into SE Asian countries including Thailand and Cambodia. I think the enthusiasts of the dha and weapons of these countries would have better insight, but I thought I'd add these notes.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 04:16 AM   #19
Nathaniel

Gavin, love to see some more close ups & sharper pictures of the spear head from different sides and angles when you have time.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:51 PM   #20
Gavin Nugent

Andrew, Nathaniel, Jim, Thanks for chiming in.

Andrew I know little of the culture but I am all for Gut feelings. Another well versed in Thai arms collector also said I should likley be looking to the region of Cambodia and surrounds.

What I really need to do when time permits is look at lacquer work items from these regions. When you consider the inner shaft is bamboo and that the 'dips' or waists of each section has been resin wrapped in flaxen fiberous material to create a smooth tapering surface from end to end and then to have the surface lacquered black and painted, someone has gone to a lot of trouble to create a very fine spear.

Nathaniel, I will get more detailed images in the weeks to come.

Thanks again guys...if anything further comes to fruition I am all ears and thanks to Dan for posting that image all those years ago.

Gav
Old 24th December 2016, 08:34 AM   #21
Gavin Nugent

Several years ago, I think I cracked this tough nut and only thought to update today...Sri Lanka.

It makes sense to see Sri Lankan spears in the Thai Royal Palace as the paths of Buddhism are long between Sri Lanka and Thailand.

Gavin