Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 12th July 2007, 07:09 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default Between Solo and Yogya

Dear All,

Solo (Surakarta) and Yogya (Jogjakarta) are not the only Javanese style. Nevertheless, these two styles are the most dominan in the Javanese keris. These pictures, show you for visual comparison: Ladrang (left) and the parable in Yogya style, Branggah (right).

Solo and Yogya which only 64 kms apart, are brother cities, though in the past history, they are rivalry. So no wonder if in the style of their kerises are opposing, contradictory. Also in their expressions of Javanese culture.

You will recognize more and more, everytime you compare the two styles of sheath in your hand. The type of daunan (leaf of the sheath) is also different. You may compare from the following pictures from above.

The hilts, are different. The form of pendhok (metal scabbard) is different too. And almost every detail is different, between Solo and Yogya style. The philosophy is also different.

Solo style, is more "gebyar" (glamour) in their dresses: sometimes studded with gems, gold, diamonds. But the Yogya style is more simple. The most glamour of Yogya style is only pendhok from "gangsa" (gold and copper or gold and brass). And much more differences of their style...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 02:46 AM   #2
PenangsangII

Default Solo Vs Yogya

Dear Pak Ganjawulung & friends,

I dont know why, but when it comes to Jawanese keris, Solo style has always caught my eyes. Definitely not because of "gebyar" as I like simplicty & practicality over cosmetic appearance. Maybe the hilt style....Solo style is more practicle if it is to be used as a weapon....sorry, I am more inclined towards the use of keris as a weapon.

Warm regards,
Penangsang
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 03:23 AM   #3
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
I dont know why, but when it comes to Jawanese keris, Solo style has always caught my eyes. Definitely not because of "gebyar" as I like simplicty & practicality over cosmetic appearance. Maybe the hilt style....Solo style is more practicle if it is to be used as a weapon....sorry, I am more inclined towards the use of keris as a weapon.
Dear Penangsang,
Yes, it is matter of taste. But for the Solonese people (and the Yogyanese), style it is a matter of their identity. A Solonese noble man of course doesn't want to "wear" (not to have for just collections) keris with Yogyanese style. And likewise the Yogyanese nobleman. True Yogyanese, is even more fanatic -- doesn't want to touch Solonese keris (nom-noman, or new Solonese keris) with Solonese sheath.

For me? I was born as Solonese, but "prefer" to have Yogyanese style for my collections. It is a matter of simplicity, and personal inclination... But I have some kerises with Solonese style in my collection.

Ganjawulung
Old 13th July 2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow It All Comes Down To ......

........Personal taste.
Each is different; neither is better.
This seems a non-issue.

My opinion.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 03:41 AM   #5
ganjawulung

Default Gayaman

Dear All,
These pictures below are the "gayaman" styles. On the left, is Solonese gayaman with wanda (special style) of Banyumasan, and on the right is Yogyanese gayaman with "wanda" Hamengku Buwanan -- or Yogyanese style in the era or Hamengku Buwono (recent style of Yogya. In the past, there was also Amangkuratan style). Banyumas is the west state of Solo, or to be exact -- west Central Java.

Ladrang and Branggah, usually used for formal occasions, such as formal visit to the King of Solo or Yogya. Or, attending a wedding ceremony. And Gayaman is more for daily use either for high ranking or lower ranking court servants...

You may regard the difference in the form of hilts, and upper end of the pendok (straight for Solonese, and curved for Yogyanese. And the form of the pendhok -- the metal in the scabbard -- the Solonese is bigger. And for the Yogyanese -- becomes smaller in the lower part...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 13th July 2007, 04:17 AM   #6
ganjawulung

Default Riyokusuman?

Dear All,
This is another keris with Yogyanese style. Even the keris, is Yogyanese too, from the era of Hamengku Buwono (recent era) but some regarded it as Riyokusuman style. And it has an official stamp in the back of the upper pendhok, just to denote the official administration for certain purpose.

The keris, bears dhapur "pendawa prasaja" or dhapur pendawa (five luks) without sogokan in the middle of the sor-soran. The blade is pamorless, or Javanese people call it as "kelengan" (all black)...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 13th July 2007, 05:23 AM   #7
PenangsangII

Salam to all keris afficionados,

Pak Ganja, your Yogya kelingan looks very exquisite, the kind of keris blade that I would go for....

One question, is there any difference between the Solonese & Yogyanese blades in terms of daphur, pamor, greneng etc. If there is, what is/are the difference/s? Also, what makes them so different, I mean, there must be somekind of enmity in the past, but arent they all Jawanese afterall?
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote