Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 14th December 2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Scottish Sword

Hi Everyone,
I have what I believe to be an 1828 Patt Scottish cross hilt sword in a steel scabbard. The straight double edged blade is etched along its length with thistles and foliage, KOSB, which I take to mean Kings Own Scottish Boarderers, and a crown but no letter to denote which king. The ricasso has the star of david with the proof mark on one side and the military outfitter on the other i.e.Henderson, 14, West Nile St, Glasgow.
O/L without scabbard is 39.5 ins.
Blade length is 33 ins.
Blade width at ricasso is 1.125 ins.
I would appreciate any comments you may have particularly regarding approx. age and what King in view of the absence of a royal cypher. From my own research I discovered that the military outfitter appeared to cease trading in Glasgow in the late 19thC.
Regards.
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 11:12 PM   #2
RobertGuy

Peter Henderson of Glasgow traded between 1850- 1875. (Bezdek) That means you are looking at Queen Victoria's reign not a king at all. However there may be a slight discrepancy as I think the regiment was known as The King's Own Borderers from 1805 and it was not until 1887 that they became The King's Own Sottish Borderers
RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 08:32 AM   #3
RobertGuy

I have just checked Oldswords.com for the maker and there are 2 Hendersons listed in Glasgow, Peter Henderson in Renfield St and Henderson & Co of West Nile St. Unfortunately no dates given. However looking again at you pictures I think that Queen Vitoria's cypher is on your blade below the crown etching. These are difficult to read at the best of times and yours is further compromised by the fullers. Difficult to be certain from the picture.
Old 15th December 2015, 08:43 AM   #4
RobertGuy

Sorry to keep posting bits and pieces, I must get my research better organised. A couple of more points about your sword. The cross hilt was introduced to KSOB and other Scottish regiments in General Order 128 of 1885 although it may have been used by some before that. The actual cross hilt pattern on your sword looks wrong for KSOB who had a distinctive pointed style of finial.(Robson)
Old 16th December 2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGuy
Sorry to keep posting bits and pieces, I must get my research better organised. A couple of more points about your sword. The cross hilt was introduced to KSOB and other Scottish regiments in General Order 128 of 1885 although it may have been used by some before that. The actual cross hilt pattern on your sword looks wrong for KSOB who had a distinctive pointed style of finial.(Robson)
Hello Mr Gut and thank you for your replies which are most illuminating and informative, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the round finials on the quillon of this sword as a number of examples of K O S B swords can be found with this type of finial on the quillon.

From the points you have made it appears that the sword could be late 19thC Victorian. The examples I referred to above were late 19th very early 20thC and I wonder if the finials were changed to pointed ones after this date as I also found George Vth ones with pointed finials? Thanks again for your replies.
Regards
Miguel
Old 18th December 2015, 08:04 AM   #6
RobertGuy

Miguel
Yes there could be many reasons why the cross piece does not exactly match the stated patterns.
I have had a closer look at the cypher in your last photo and it is definitely Queen Victoria so your sword is no later than 1901
Old 18th December 2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGuy
Miguel
Yes there could be many reasons why the cross piece does not exactly match the stated patterns.
I have had a closer look at the cypher in your last photo and it is definitely Queen Victoria so your sword is no later than 1901
Hello Mr Guy,
Thank you for your reply and to say that your input has been much appreciated.
Miguel
Old 21st December 2015, 06:29 PM   #8
Richard G

Many, if not most or all, of these swords have a pommel that unscrews so that a basket hilt can be interchanged with a cross bar type.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote